Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I've worked in the games industry. There is no need to explain this or elaborate; I was merely speaking to the other guy's point about "AAA" development. Which was that it is meaningless to the consumer; only the quality of the product matters in the end.

I like the guys over at Owlcat Games a lot. Pathfinder: Kingmaker was the closest thing to a RTWP RPG game has scrathed the BG itch for me in a long time. I am very much looking forward to Wrath of the Righteous.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, lots of bugs. It's EA, of course, so I'm forgiving of this and trying to save often. Thanks for tipping me off about the autosave bug.
    I wish someone tipped me off, i lost about an hour due to it. Its possible it's not a bug and intended, but there is zero warning, which is why I'm assuming it's a bug.

I should mention, I have seen more "bugs" but nothing that caused issues with my game session or anything, so I don't think they were worth mentioning here.

Depends.

Sure, but that is not the consumer's problem. That is their problem; they are still charging me $60 that could go to Genshin Impact, Cold Vein, Hades, or whatever floats your boat.

Not that I am saying BG3 is not worth $60. Though nothing exists in a vacuum and the end product to the consumer must compete on the same stage as other products; so the size and capability Larian are pretty ignorable in the end to the consumer.
    Yea but that doesn't really work. Both Fifa and Cyberpunk cost $60 and we all know what Fifa really is. I'd say BG3 is AAA because it's supposed to be really huge, the new big deal in RPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I wouldn't say Mass Effect and Dragon Age were ever the same. In terms of RPG systems they did grow somewhat close at times, but gameplay and presentation wise they remained very, very different. Elder Scrolls and Fallout being too similar is down to Bethesda's usual incompetence and Baby's First RPG approach, New Vegas showed you can have a first person Fallout game that doesn't feel like Oblivion with guns at all.

I'd also personally have given BG3 to Obsidian considering they already made a good D&D game, but of course they're less popular than Larian now.
    I did not say they were the same, but had a lot of similarities and that was fine, same engine, same devs.

Larian are the new big guys in RPG's. While Obsidian is good, I think they got surpassed.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Yea but that doesn't really work. Both Fifa and Cyberpunk cost $60 and we all know what Fifa really is. I'd say BG3 is AAA because it's supposed to be really huge, the new big deal in RPG's.
    Uh, no. Not at all. If someone really likes Fifa*, and not BG3; the former is still competing for their $60 equally.

One is rarely going to say, "I enjoy this $60 game less than this other $60 game but gosh darn it, the game I enjoy less was made by a smaller development team and I'm gonna play that instead."

At the endpoint, the only thing that matters to the consumer is getting what they like to play. Devs don't get a special award at retail because their studio is smaller than Santa Monica.

*I don't actually know anything about Soccer games. I'll take your word for it that it is somehow faulty or lacking.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-10-07 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    When you get to the Cleric at the door to the crypt, apparently there is an intended path, which is to back track through the crashed ship with the Cleric and go up the cliff. You'll immediately encounter a 3rd member to the party, and then you can enter the crypt. But if you are playing a rogue class, you can just open the initial door and get into the crypt. The major issue being you are now missing a way point and team member, and the crypt area is very hard without the 3rd person.
    That's kind of how these games go though, you can totally get yourself into something unwinnable by accident. I spam f5 for that reason lol.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Has there been any news about an collectors edition? I got the OS2 one and could easily see getting one for this to if it’s even half as cool.

No, you still don't understand it at all, and this is not the place to explain it to you, again, google is your friend.
    Yea thry could. But im guessing u prob could have explained it in less time it took to write all those replies.

U made it sound like u want the game cheaper. I suspect its either have to do with exchange rates, accommodating for other fees, or as others have suggested making it cheaper for areas where ppl have less money.

I believe the original question was a non hostile "why should it be cheaper" and like 4 or 5 times u were just hostile and rude for no good reason. If u arent going to answer them just ignore them. But dont be nasty gor no reason
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

Uh, no. Not at all. If someone really likes Fifa*, and not BG3; the former is still competing for their $60 equally.

One is rarely going to say, "I enjoy this $60 game less than this other $60 game but gosh darn it, the game I enjoy less was made by a smaller development team and I'm gonna play that instead."

At the endpoint, the only thing that matters to the consumer is getting what they like to play. Devs don't get a special award at retail because their studio is smaller than Santa Monica.

*I don't actually know anything about Soccer games. I'll take your word for it that it is somehow faulty or lacking.
    EA launches Fifa every year, it's just copy and paste(literally) from previous years with tons of microtransactions. The point is how big the project is, Cyberpunk as a huge project for the consumer costs the same as fucking Fifa lol. I believe that does make a difference if someone likes both types of games, as they are very different.

We have been playing Elder Scrolls and Fallouts for a long time now and these games are very similar with their previous versions, just a different place and story BUT with a huge leap in graphics. Since the graphics jump in DOS to BG3 wasn't as big as in Oblivion to Skyrim or FO3 to FO4 we get the feeling that it was just copy paste, it's obviously understandable but not fair to call it lazy.

Which other really big studio(the likes of EA, Ubisoft) would try to make an RPG like this? Being realistic, none of them and let's be honest, none of them can either. So the reality is, no other studio would be able to provide an RPG like this the way Larian does, and Larian does not have the power other big studios have. So in the end, it's accepting the limitations. If Obsidian got the project, my guess is that it would look a lot like Pillars of Eternity, for bad or for worse(old players would probably prefer it this way due to nostalgia). I think it would be suicide if they tried something completely different with another engine(or a new one) with the size of their team.

If this was DOS3, I believe it would not be $60. But there's Wizards of the Coast and BG is a big name.

Quote Originally Posted by tristannarutofan View Post
    Yea thry could. But im guessing u prob could have explained it in less time it took to write all those replies.

U made it sound like u want the game cheaper. I suspect its either have to do with exchange rates, accommodating for other fees, or as others have suggested making it cheaper for areas where ppl have less money.

I believe the original question was a non hostile "why should it be cheaper" and like 4 or 5 times u were just hostile and rude for no good reason. If u arent going to answer them just ignore them. But dont be nasty gor no reason
    Not supposed to explain and go into detail here. It should be cheaper because third world countries do not have the buypower of first world countries, thus regional pricing exists. It's that simple. If you still do not understand, just read about it on google. The game is already cheaper, but not enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are certainly plenty bugs and some performance issues, but then it will take them another year at least to actually release full game.

I'm sure someone has asked this already, but with a very quick look of some previous pages none asked yet. At least not that I noticed, but it was very quick look...

SO... is this early access worth 60€ yet? Sure it means you get the full game eventually and I feel like I'd buy it since i liked DOS2 (but DOS1 was shite, never could bother to play that far).

First I wanted to buy it, but decided to watch someone stream it a bit first. Then I realized, "this is all spoilers" and stopped watching even if it was just the start. Then I thought I'd buy it yet then noticed it was 60€ for the EA (i was expecting it to be 40€ or 50€) so it gave me a moments pause to think more. Do I want to throw that money in yet? I might have forgot about the game by the time they finish/add more content and technically is possible I'd next time notice it when its already on sale.

I have both good and bad experiences from Larian. A few VERY good ones and then at least one bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    SO... is this early access worth 60€ yet?
    That's gonna differ from person to person depending on their time with the game.

Personally I'm having so many issues I haven't even made it off the hentai space boat but I also realize it's day one of an early access game and issues are to be expected. The couple of minutes I can play at a time though are pretty fun ^_^

Just wait a couple of weeks to see if the major gripes are at least acknowledged.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There are certainly plenty bugs and some performance issues, but then it will take them another year at least to actually release full game.
    The only issues I have noticed, is the occasional freeze for a few seconds and only specific bug is using the rez scroll. I have to save the game and then load it and the rez scrolls then will work. But I am not that far into the game. On the land and have 3 followers. But the game itself, has not crashed yet.

Also, I did have a couple cinematic scene glitches.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Borvo View Post
    That's gonna differ from person to person depending on their time with the game.

Personally I'm having so many issues I haven't even made it off the hentai space boat but I also realize it's day one of an early access game and issues are to be expected. The couple of minutes I can play at a time though are pretty fun ^_^

Just wait a couple of weeks to see if the major gripes are at least acknowledged.
    For sure. I am pleased so far with the game, the little I have played. Players need to understand it is only at the most, a third of the full release. But the developers do need money to continue working on the game. So I look at it, as a way to help ensure it will be a great RPG when released. The potential is, it will be.

I had no issues getting off the ship. Once I figured out what I had to do.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-10-07 at 12:43 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    EA launches Fifa every year, it's just copy and paste(literally) from previous years with tons of microtransactions. The point is how big the project is, Cyberpunk as a huge project for the consumer costs the same as fucking Fifa lol. I believe that does make a difference if someone likes both types of games, as they are very different.

We have been playing Elder Scrolls and Fallouts for a long time now and these games are very similar with their previous versions, just a different place and story BUT with a huge leap in graphics. Since the graphics jump in DOS to BG3 wasn't as big as in Oblivion to Skyrim or FO3 to FO4 we get the feeling that it was just copy paste, it's obviously understandable but not fair to call it lazy.

Which other really big studio(the likes of EA, Ubisoft) would try to make an RPG like this? Being realistic, none of them and let's be honest, none of them can either. So the reality is, no other studio would be able to provide an RPG like this the way Larian does, and Larian does not have the power other big studios have. So in the end, it's accepting the limitations. If Obsidian got the project, my guess is that it would look a lot like Pillars of Eternity, for bad or for worse(old players would probably prefer it this way due to nostalgia). I think it would be suicide if they tried something completely different with another engine(or a new one) with the size of their team.

If this was DOS3, I believe it would not be $60. But there's Wizards of the Coast and BG is a big name.

DOS2 was $50. You got it for $45 if you bought the early access. This time, there was no discount for early access. But the first chapter in BG3 has about as much, if not more content than the whole game did in DOS2. Actually more dialog.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    This game certainly is very early access, there are bugs aplenty especially on the intro part. If you can wade through that there certifiably is a good game being made here, only time will time how fixing it will go. Cannot wait, but from what I have played I have had some fun for sure.

I had a great discussion with someone who was saying it felt like a massive DoS remake, and while it does feel like a DoS game we tend to forget that DoS itself was heavily inspired by the BG series. But he did make a point that maybe Obsidian Entertainment would have a been a better team to take up the BG series over Larian seeing and Pillars of Eternity was more closer to being heavily inspired by the BG series more so. and while I agree I am betting if they did handle the series how many people would be crying the new BG looking just like the Pillars games :P

We did come to the conclusion that we're thankful for at least Bioware still didn't have the licence :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-10-07 at 12:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    With this good graphics the sex scenes will be interesting, if they are as explicit as shown in the one youtube video. I'm sure all us coomers will love it

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    In between Pillars of Eternity 3 and D:OS3 I'm down with D:OS3, it's simply whole next level when it comes to looks. Infinity style games have their appeal, but this one is just so much better.

I didn't like part one, i loved part 2 so i'm interested.
    But why would anyone buy a early access singleplayer game, particularly for a full AAA price.
    So i pay 60 euros, have to deal with bugs and can only play less than 1/3 of the content. Or i could wait for the release and play the whole game bugfree for the same price.
    Thats really mind-boggeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    ...we tend to forget that DoS itself was heavily inspired by the BG series
    Am just curious but in what way was DoS heavily inspired by the BG series? I understand that after Larian making BG3 obviously people need to make connections but they never have taken any inspiration from BG. The only inspiration they ever took was from Ultima 7. They said it so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    But why would anyone buy a early access singleplayer game, particularly for a full AAA price.
    So i pay 60 euros, have to deal with bugs and can only play less than 1/3 of the content. Or i could wait for the release and play the whole game bugfree for the same price.
    Its multi-player and cross-platform (according to Steam). I haven't messed with it yet.

I also sort of enjoy early access, so they release content in waves and you can master each wave before the next comes out. Eating the elephant one bite at a time so to say. Every major new patch after becomes almost a new release for free.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2020-10-07 at 01:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogacsa View Post
    Am just curious but in what way was DoS heavily inspired by the BG series? I understand that after Larian making BG3 obviously people need to make connections but they never have taken any inspiration from BG. The only inspiration they ever took was from Ultima 7. They said it so many times.
    Oh my, you are taking me back. When they were speaking on an interview for the first Divinity game (think ti was the first) they spoke about one of their influences when making the game was on the BG series (and I remembered them mentioning Ultima too) and how they wanted to expand on it or something. This is like trying to remember an interview from 7 years ago though, I could just be having the Mandela Effect but I am pretty sure they mentioned they were inspired by aspects of BG.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-10-07 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Some people enjoy being at the cradle of a game providing feedback and improving it, putting their mark on it so to speak. It's fully understandable that most people don't have the time or will to do so that's why it has also been announced well in advance what you're going to get so you don't buy a "cat in a bag".

It is not something i am keen on doing any more as i consider bug testing to be some sort of volunteer work and i already have a job but i used to participate in it.

I am sure Early Access players will get some extra's here and there beyond the experience they gain now.

See a top steam "comment" is a person complaining about the price of early access and it not being complete and fairly limited, now that's just stupid behaviour.