Can't Decide On A Main

I am overly frustrated because I am so indecisive that I cannot pick a main or even what role I want to play in SL. I took a break from WoW for a couple years and even then during Legion I played pretty casually so I never did M+ or did much raiding at all so I ended up being very casual and played way too many alts and now going into Shadowlands I want to pick a main, pick a role, be very good at it and do M+ and raiding content but I literally cannot decide at all on what I want to main or even what role.

How did you decide on your main? Do you even have a main?

PVP team needed a holy pala, I rolled a holy pala. Before that I played mage because it was my favorite class. Doesn't hurt that mage has been good literally every single patch since the launch of wow.

Its up to you man, whatever you enjoy playing.

I decide rather simple.

1. Must be good at 1v1 PVP. Don't care about arena, I just want to rock at casual PVP like warmode, duels and random bgs.
    2. Must not be stupidly convoluted to play at optimum efficiency. This instantly rules out unholy dk, feral druid, demo/affliction lock, ww monk, and survival hunter (made convoluted by the combination of Wildfire Infusion and Mongoose Bite, two talents that require a lot of focus to keep track of).
    3. Must be Ranged specs. I really hate running after bosses in raids and not being able to see anything from all the effects and crowds at the bosses' feet.

For SL I have decided to go with MM Hunter as main, and protection Paladin as alt as prot pala is now really good at PVP in SL and hopefully it doesn't get nerfed because Blizzard really hates it when tanks have fun in PVP. I believe the blue quote from many years ago was "When tanks are having fun in pvp, no one else is".

I just play my original character I made in TBC and it's been pretty easy to main.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Just think about what kind of character you would want to be if you *were* that character. What resonates with you? Abilities, style of combat, etc. Who are you to the world of Warcraft? Be that and make a name for yourself. You got this!
    Be willing to serve and build up others at any cost. Never be a man of laziness and self absorption. Be willing to grow daily in integrity, strength, and boldness.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I just play my original character I made in TBC and it's been pretty easy to main.
    Same with me, Started TBC, Rolled a Druid and it's always been my main lol, Only Alt I've really played is a Mage.

OT: If you;'re used to many toons I imagine it would be hard to choose, Is there any Specs/Classes that you've enjoyed most over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    PVP team needed a holy pala, I rolled a holy pala. Before that I played mage because it was my favorite class. Doesn't hurt that mage has been good literally every single patch since the launch of wow.
    Mages were actually a dumpster fire in 2.4 (sunwell), at least in pve. Granted, they have been s tier or a tier every patch since.

Quote Originally Posted by Frimelda View Post
    I want to pick a main, pick a role, be very good at it and do M+ and raiding content
    In order to do that, you should join a guild. A decent guild will often times look for certain classes/roles. That should make ur choice a little bit easier or narrow it down atleast. Also - if you can't decide which class ur going to play, think about which role you want to play first.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am overly frustrated because I am so indecisive that I cannot pick a main or even what role I want to play in SL. I took a break from WoW for a couple years and even then during Legion I played pretty casually so I never did M+ or did much raiding at all so I ended up being very casual and played way too many alts and now going into Shadowlands I want to pick a main, pick a role, be very good at it and do M+ and raiding content but I literally cannot decide at all on what I want to main or even what role.

Whatever you pick you should 100% find a guild because pugging is shit

10+ Year Old Account

I tried alot of stuff to awnser that, asked myself what are my goals, tried to see the pros and cons, none of that worked, until i listed all the activities i do and asked myself wich class, not spec, i would enjoy doing them more. That awnsered me what class i should main, hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Whatever you pick you should 100% find a guild because pugging is shit
    Absolutely but I want to be sure of myself before I do.

it would be easier if you start eliminating the classes that you DONT want to play. after that choose between the rest depending on your game plan.

if you are planning to join a guild and play with a group of people then you can either see what the guild is missing/raid comp/flexible roles that you would actually enjoy doing.
    if you are planning to be a pug hero, then you should consider a class that usually does fine/looking good in the ptr/beta in order to get invited.

I eliminated 5 classes right off the bat when my guild put on the poll for possible mains next expansion, I planned to play 2 classes, 1 for the main team, and the other to pug some heroics and do dungeons with.
    I decided on my main (DK) based on what our raid team is looking like, and how many actual players i share armor with (we had an abundant number of leather/agility users so i eliminated the rest of leather classes from my remaining list)
    for my alt i wanted a class that can dps and heal for pugs and m+. it had to be at least ok with both so i get invited to random groups, ended up deciding on priest because i liked the devouring plague gameplay from wod, and discipline is looking really good overall.

tldr: eliminating classes you DONT want to play will help you alot in making this decision

Personally i´d always pick RP-lite reasons to main something.
    Like doing destructive magic / demons and shite? Warlock.
    A martial master wielding big blades in peerless fashion? Warrior
    Unstoppable march of death personified? Death Knight
    Master over nature through knowledge, skill, cunning and cooperation? Hunter
    Andsoforth.

I have several characters but my main is my warrior, my first main too since the end of vanilla.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Personally i´d always pick RP-lite reasons to main something.
    Like doing destructive magic / demons and shite? Warlock.
    A martial master wielding big blades in peerless fashion? Warrior
    Unstoppable march of death personified? Death Knight
    Master over nature through knowledge, skill, cunning and cooperation? Hunter
    Andsoforth.

I have several characters but my main is my warrior, my first main too since the end of vanilla.
    I do try to do this when I make decision but then I end up doing something that changes my mind, like Shadow Priest has the kind of flavor I like but I don't want to play Disc or Holy so I don't want to play that. I would say when it comes to games and tabletop stuff, my main archetype I like isn't a playable spec but a profession, which is Engineer.

Decide what role choose a class where off spec is fun also

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I remember when they were leaving mages on the bench in TBC because they were trash. If you were a mage you had to stand outside and buff the locks (and others) that had your place. It wasn't demeaning at all.

Pick a rogue if you want to melee or a mage if you want to range. They will be at least good for dungeons and raids.
    Last edited by munkeyinorbit; 2020-10-07 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

The DK has been my first max lvl from Cata-BFA, and will probably be that forever.

Rolled a druid on vanilla release since it fit our friends group well but we all quit eventually due to school/rl. Mid TBC I picked the char I thought sounded like what I've enjoyed in other mmos (healing and caster dps) and gave it a go again. Mained my priest ever since and never really had any regrets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Help Me Choose" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Please the online resources or the class-specific subforums if you have further questions. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead