The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Idea: New Ready-animations for Melee classes

We all know currently all casters have class-specific ready-animations for when they're not attacking. We also know that Monks and Hunter already have their own custom read-animations.

What if the remaining melee classes also get this?
    - Warrior
    - Paladin
    - Rogue
    - Death Knight

I could see the Warriors getting a rage-fit hunched over ready-animation, whereas the Paladin would be more arched back, the Rogues being crouched like their stealth-animation and the Death Knight being all cold and stoic like Arthas.

What do you think?

Yeah, I think this is a great idea and I fully support it. The only problem is that many of these classes have a variety of weapon types and each would potentially have different animations.

Hunters don't have unique ready animations--they are just the only ones to have ranged weapons. Monks are special, because they don't wield their weapons directly. Brewmaster's artifact is a unique quirk though, but that's a different story entirely (and it does not play well with most animations--try using it with windwalker after the patch and you'll see what I mean).

Overall I like the idea, but I'm not sure how practical it is, and I am not sure if blizzard will commit that much effort to it. Honestly I kind of agree, too, and this coincidentally relates to a different thread you made... because one of the aesthetic features I'd rather see added over this would be proper customization features added to the allied races. Once that's done, I think this would be a good fit for the game, if Blizzard can manage it.

Caster animations aren't class specific at all. Each race has a "Healing" and a "Damaging" animation that certain spells use. You'll notice that things like Shaman's Lava Burst and Warlock's Chaos Bolt share animations with Healing Spells. Melee animations got a huge re-do as well but it was mostly in skill usage while combat idling was only redone with the new models in WoD.

That being said, I like the idea of Class specific animations. Demon Hunter got a whole plethora of exclusive animations so I don't see why they couldn't do more to differentiate between the fighting styles of a Rogue and a dual-wielding Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibuhl View Post
    We all know currently all casters have class-specific ready-animations for when they're not attacking. We also know that Monks and Hunter already have their own custom read-animations.

What if the remaining melee classes also get this?
    - Warrior
    - Paladin
    - Rogue
    - Death Knight

I could see the Warriors getting a rage-fit hunched over ready-animation, whereas the Paladin would be more arched back, the Rogues being crouched like their stealth-animation and the Death Knight being all cold and stoic like Arthas.

What do you think?
    What a great thing to further waste time and resources on! It's not bad enough the game is a shitshow in terms of how poorly they develop it and how ignored many features are moving into every expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    Caster animations aren't class specific at all. Each race has a "Healing" and a "Damaging" animation that certain spells use. You'll notice that things like Shaman's Lava Burst and Warlock's Chaos Bolt share animations with Healing Spells. Melee animations got a huge re-do as well but it was mostly in skill usage while combat idling was only redone with the new models in WoD.

That being said, I like the idea of Class specific animations. Demon Hunter got a whole plethora of exclusive animations so I don't see why they couldn't do more to differentiate between the fighting styles of a Rogue and a dual-wielding Warrior.
    I think you misunderstood what the OP was talking about. Each spellcaster (except for holy paladins for some reason) have their own 'ready' animations for casting. A lot of these animations are largely unique or connected to the class as well (though by how much, I can't say. I haven't seen any other classes have a hand of Gul'dan animation, for instance).

OP was specifically talking about ready animations. Which casters absolutely have unique versions of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    What a great thing to further waste time and resources on! It's not bad enough the game is a shitshow in terms of how poorly they develop it and how ignored many features are moving into every expansion.
    Why are you blaming the OP for problems that have nothing to do with him? Chill the hell out, and take your salt somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Why are you blaming the OP for problems that have nothing to do with him? Chill the hell out, and take your salt somewhere else.
    It's a horrible idea for reasons stated. There's significantly larger issues than "I want to have unique animations".
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

It's definitely something I, as a human warrior player, would love to see happen. The ready stance for Arms especially is horrible and fury and protection just share the same one. I'd love to have something like resting the 2h over the shoulder, especially as the animation is already in the game.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a discussion and any opinion is welcome.. just as yours is. Good to know you're against it

Quote Originally Posted by Valt View Post
    It's definitely something I, as a human warrior player, would love to see happen. The ready stance for Arms especially is horrible and fury and protection just share the same one. I'd love to have something like resting the 2h over the shoulder, especially as the animation is already in the game.
    I would love this too!

Yeah you're right! They should do this!!

Night elf/Nightborne female combat pose for 2h is perfect, please dont change.

It's a horrible idea for reasons stated. There's significantly larger issues than "I want to have unique animations".
    You think that "blizzard" is one being who can only do one thing at a time? The team who does animations will not work on programming systems for example. It's perfectly possible to have this done while not getting in the way of the bigger stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HexaDroid View Post
    You think that "blizzard" is one being who can only do one thing at a time? The team who does animations will not work on programming systems for example. It's perfectly possible to have this done while not getting in the way of the bigger stuff.
    You mean WoW isn't solely developped by John Blizzard in his basement?

I'm told Warriors have a ready animation on the character creation screen that's better than the in-game one, particularly for fury warrior orcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Well, I can't really think of more important task for animation team than animating hero characters, which we look at 24/7 to be honest. Maybe some new NPCs and bosses before, but yeah, other than that PC and their polish is pretty significant.

10+ Year Old Account

My whole issue with class-specific animations is that we end up having less race-specific animations. I much prefer race-specific animations than class-specific, but that's just me.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Significantly larger issues which have nothing to do with animation resources?

Your reasons don't really have anything to do with having more unique ready animations. The problems you have aren't related to animation resources at all.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-10-08 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I think you misunderstood what the OP was talking about. Each spellcaster (except for holy paladins for some reason) have their own 'ready' animations for casting.
    Except for Warlocks, even though the animation is used in the new character creation screen, they use the mage idle animations.

I'm down for new melee ready-animations, but only if it's optional. There are a lot of nice race-specific animations and it'd be a shame to lose them and the diversity they bring.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I generally agree with this kind of sentiment, the 3d modeling and animation team don't work on the sorts of things I assume you're complaining about... As the team's name implies, they work on 3d modeling and animating things... They have a specific skillset, they do that thing, they don't work on class design or encounter design, or balancing trinkets or covenants, that is not their skillset nor their department.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

sounds like a nice thing to have but other than the once a year screenshot opportunity i'd probably never notice it was there.

i'd say i'd notice it when standing in front of a boss, but honestly everytime i pay attention to what i'm doing at that moment i start using toys anyways.

i guess the reason casters have it is because they do not have an autoattack.

Quote Originally Posted by GR8GODZILLAGOD View Post
    Except for Warlocks, even though the animation is used in the new character creation screen, they use the mage idle animations.

I'm down for new melee ready-animations, but only if it's optional. There are a lot of nice race-specific animations and it'd be a shame to lose them and the diversity they bring.
    Do they really? I thought they finally got their own animations. I know it was a big complaint for a while that every class got casting ready animations except for warlocks, so if after all that they just got plastered with the mage animation, I have to admit I feel a little salty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    sounds like a nice thing to have but other than the once a year screenshot opportunity i'd probably never notice it was there.

i'd say i'd notice it when standing in front of a boss, but honestly everytime i pay attention to what i'm doing at that moment i start using toys anyways.

i guess the reason casters have it is because they do not have an autoattack.
    I mean, Demon hunters have it and they do alright. It might be more work than I'm assuming (autoattacks as you say might need to be adjusted) but I doubt it would be that dramatic, unless they completely changed the auto attacks as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ihate2beapessimist View Post
    Night elf/Nightborne female combat pose for 2h is perfect, please dont change.
    They are actually bringing up a good point--some people may already like their racial animations and since we already have them ingame (casters just had nothing), this is actually a valid reason to consider not doing it (rather than just putting it off until other features, etc.).

Personally I am not that attached to any of the racial stances so it wouldn't bother me, but I could get this for sure.