Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    So they are like the garrison ability thing you got in WoD, like the thing that called like 5 trash soldiers to tank things for you.
    Cool... I guess?

They could go one step further and restrict them in Shadowlands as well.
    Then remove them as Covenant abilities.
    /shrug

- Hey, look , its new expansion! We give you some new sh*t for your rotation!
    - Cool!
    - ... but you actually can't use it here ane there.

7+ Year Old Account
    it baffles me that people are defending this.

We didn't get a new talent row for years, instead we got those shit borrowed powers, and now the ones we get we can't even use in other places? lmao

and people keep saying mAkEs SeNsE iN tHe LoRe, like lore rly matters for then when they do shit, isn't like Sylvanus was using her shadowlands power in azeroth am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    and people keep saying mAkEs SeNsE iN tHe LoRe, like lore rly matters for then when they do shit
    I can say they already did a big sh*t on lore with the entire shadowlands thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Just because you find no reason to remove them doesn't mean there aren't reasons there. Doesn't mean you have to agree, but there are likely reasons that may or may not be told to us as time goes on.
    the reason is lore. And lore is no reason, as Blizzard has stated themselves that this is a game and gameplay should come first.

This change is done because of the lore idea that we have the Heart of Azeroth to empower us in Azeroth and covenants to empower us in the Shadowlands. And that's a bad idea because our classes are not designed around the HoA and azerite items anymore. And it's a bad idea because who the heck wants to keep all these old items in their bags during Shadowlands?

They are making a bad gameplay decision for the sake of lore. That has always been a recipe for disaster in games.

Fuck these third party abilities and fuck Blizzard for being so fucking lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post
    the reason is lore. And lore is no reason, as Blizzard has stated themselves that this is a game and gameplay should come first.

This change is done because of the lore idea that we have the Heart of Azeroth to empower us in Azeroth and covenants to empower us in the Shadowlands. And that's a bad idea because our classes are not designed around the HoA and azerite items anymore. And it's a bad idea because who the heck wants to keep all these old items in their bags during Shadowlands?

They are making a bad gameplay decision for the sake of lore. That has always been a recipe for disaster in games.
    Are you okay with them restricting conduit switching?

This is not a lore issue because the lore of the shadowlands and the covenants themselves is that they are the source of all the death magic the demons and others have been using on Azeroth. That includes the helm of the damned and other kind of runic powers tied to death magic.........

So no the lore doesn't justify this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by iinverse View Post
    - Hey, look , its new expansion! We give you some new sh*t for your rotation!
    - Cool!
    - ... but you actually can't use it here ane there.
    Also:

... you can also only use some of it because we restrict your ability to try the different shit by time gating it for no good reason.

not sure if i like this or not... im thinking pvp with corruption/azurite and its a total fucking joke of an experience. just so many additional powers stacked up its a cluster fuck of a game with balancing near impossible. I dont know if im fighting someone skilled or someone that got better rng on a drop / better power than me. I think a better way would to allow all these borrowed power systems to work everywhere in pve, but just baseline everyone for pvp and remove them in content where you come up again actual players, so then skills morelikely to shine, the better man wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post

If it was a gameplay/lore decision we would have known about it months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    This is not a lore issue because the lore of the shadowlands and the covenants themselves is that they are the source of all the death magic the demons and others have been using on Azeroth. That includes the helm of the damned and other kind of runic powers tied to death magic.........

So no the lore doesn't justify this at all.
    Lore that justify it:

“Covenant abilities cant be used outside of the Shadowlands”

Nothing more is needed. Blizzard are writing the lore and there are no rules.

Ok, you'll recognise me as the dude that always says he likes covenants.

BUT WHAT IS THIS?

You get new stuff, you get to use it - even if it is only for an expansion.

There is NO reason to disable new stuff in old content.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

WoD had the satellite garrison abilities we couldn't use, and legion had our class hall powers from guardians/followers. I guess they felt this was similar? But then Battle for Azeroth didn't have anything like that (that I can think of off the top of my head) because they wanted us to have access to our power anywhere thanks to our connection to the world.

It makes sense that the power of the shadowlands wouldn't translate, but if covenants are supposed to be the new Heart of Azeroth and not the new garrison/follower power, then I don't understand why they're doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Are you okay with them restricting conduit switching?
    I would be if different specs didn't compete with each other on the soulbind trees. Also there should be a gameplay way to speed up the process of getting those respec charges back. I think it's a good idea to restrict it a bit, just like old talent trees were restricted with a gold cost for respecs. But gold these days isn't a good limitation for stuff like this. Some have barely any gold, others have millions. It's a good idea to have this separate recharge system. There just should be a way to recharge it by playing the game, not by logging out and going to sleep.

And again, different specs shouldn't compete with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Lore that justify it:

“Covenant abilities cant be used outside of the Shadowlands”

Nothing more is needed. Blizzard are writing the lore and there are no rules.
    Lore says that all death magic used in the mortal realm comes from shadowlands.... That is the lore they wrote.
    Just like light magic comes from the realm of the light and void magic comes from the realm of the void.

Us not being able to use these powers outside the shadowlands is a gameplay decision not a lore issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    From a purely story or lore-based perspective it makes sense, but it runs contrary to pretty much every other instance of borrowed power I can think of - from Draenor Perks, to Artifact weapons, the Heart of Azeroth and Azerite traits, etc. etc. I would say this is one of those cases where they should cleave more toward gameplay > lore and revert this change, especially since Covenant abilities are going to form a large block of some class/spec's general performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I would say this is one of those cases where they should cleave more toward gameplay > lore and revert this change, especially since Covenant abilities are going to form a large block of some class/spec's general performance.
    great point

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    it baffles me that people are defending this.

We didn't get a new talent row for years, instead we got those shit borrowed powers, and now the ones we get we can't even use in other places? lmao

and people keep saying mAkEs SeNsE iN tHe LoRe, like lore rly matters for then when they do shit, isn't like Sylvanus was using her shadowlands power in azeroth am i right?
    We could've had a new talent row with actual interesting choices (maybe even the current covenant abilities)... but no, gotta abandon classes, double down on this shit and then restrict it.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Lore says that all death magic used in the mortal realm comes from shadowlands.... That is the lore they wrote.
    Just like light magic comes from the realm of the light and void magic comes from the realm of the void.

Us not being able to use these powers outside the shadowlands is a gameplay decision not a lore issue.
    It is if Blizzard say it is. I’m sorry to burst your bubble but the lore in Warcraft is made up. It’s not real. So if Blizzard decide that there’s difference between death magic and the covenant abilities then that’s what is relevant in their made up lore.