Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    I really, really hope we get an option to mute the narrator.

Malady from DOS:2 is easily the worst NPC I have ever seen in any game, she was utterly insufferable.

...guess the narrator for BG3. Ugh.
    I actually thought DOS2 had the best game narrator i ever heard lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If they incorporated Intellect Devourers as they are in the Monster Manual in 5e, they'll be the worst. Lower CR than Mindflayers, so more likely to be around. They have a psychic attack that, if you fail the save and the special Intelligence check, drops your Intelligence to 0. That means permanent Stun; that character is out of the fight until something restores at least 1 Intelligence (greater restoration spell can, that's about it, and that's a 5th level spell, so the highest spell level in BG3 for players IIRC).

That's not the bad part. The bad part is that Intellect Devourers can also initiate an Int contest with anyone incapacitated (Stunned condition also includes Incapacitated). If you lose (and a 0 Intelligence is a -5 to your check, where the critter has a +1), your brain gets eaten, it teleports inside your skull, and it knows everything you knew, including all class abilities and spells and spell slots. So it can perfectly ape the person it just ate.

It gets worse. Even if you figure this out and can get the damned thing out of their head (a 1st-level Protection from Evil and Good can achieve that), they're still SUPER dead, brain eaten. The spells Revivify (3rd level) and Raise Dead (5th level) can't raise them; they're missing a brain, and those spells can't replace missing body parts. You're looking at 7th level spells to be able to bring this person back.

Intellect Devourers are only Challenge Rating 2, where Mind Flayers are CR 7.
    I expect they'll be relatively pragmatic when it comes to adapting instant death or CC stuff like that, would suck to have a character you like more or less instantly get gibbed because they failed one check. Moar save-scumming inc.

Unless Larian likes stuff like that, lets it in and expects players just cheese shit as always. BG1 and 2 (especially 2) did have a fair amount of that, but lower difficulties made permadeath rarer, you usually had powerful resurrect spells on hand in that game, and also I don't think punishing game design that was already not that well liked 20 years ago should be ported over, but maybe I'm just being a bore.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Probably because she has an awesome voice and was an incredibly popular character.
    Honestly if i'd have known in advance I wouldn't even have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    It does, really enjoyed him. Sadly not the case for BG3.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i mean they do get spells at those levels in 5e, if they are making things faithful the chances are high.

in 5e default tiefling i know gets Thaumaturgy cantrip. lv 3 they get Hellish Rebuke and darkness at 5, i think the EA have Mephistopheles and Zariel right?

Meph get mage hand, burning hands and flame blade, Zariel get 2 smite spells(searing and brandin)
    Are you talking about in-game here? These are the spells they get in 5e, yes. Asmodeus is the first one you mentioned and all 3 above are in the game. Are you confirming that they also get them in the game?

Honestly if i'd have known in advance I wouldn't even have bought it.

It does, really enjoyed him. Sadly not the case for BG3.
    Yeah, why does the narrator(ess) in BG3 sound like a succubus?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    Malady wasn’t the narrator in OS2 that was wendigo, unless I’m just completely ignorant and they share a voice actor.

If they incorporated Intellect Devourers...
    They have and are...

I agree with your point. The best thing to do is make sure you post your feedback what you like and dislike on their forums or the Steam Discussion forum for BG3. They do read those.
    Oh, you know it baby. I am a professional feedback giver. Literally, I get paid to do so.

Edit: Also, because some people are asking me via DM; yes, I am enjoying this game thus far. I usually enjoy Larian products and really enjoyed the BG series. Nothing is ever how you imagine it 100%. I am okay with that and can have a fine time regardless of disappointments, surprises, the unexpected (good & bad), and so on. It's cool, brothers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I expect they'll be relatively pragmatic when it comes to adapting instant death or CC stuff like that, would suck to have a character you like more or less instantly get gibbed because they failed one check. Moar save-scumming inc.
    ...bro. I have had to reload this game several times.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-10-08 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    No regional pricing just killed it for me, too bad, Larian was always great with that.
    I know the feeling, it's 200,00 of my currency over here, a real slap to the face. Guess I'll have to wait for months for it to drop or some handy sale comes by.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Malady wasn’t the narrator in OS2 that was wendigo, unless I’m just completely ignorant and they share a voice actor.
    It was Wendigo indeed, an odd choice for a character that appears like 3 times and has close to no bearing on the plot. There was also the guy narrating gameplay who sounded like the quaintest British guy ever, and IMO didn't work at all when he narrated the game's darker parts.

It was Wendigo indeed, an odd choice for a character that appears like 3 times and has close to no bearing on the plot. There was also the guy narrating gameplay who sounded like the quaintest British guy ever, and IMO didn't work at all when he narrated the game's darker parts.
    Wendigo did the cinematic bits, the "quaintest British guy ever" (great description! )did everything else far as I can recall.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Are you talking about in-game here? These are the spells they get in 5e, yes. Asmodeus is the first one you mentioned and all 3 above are in the game. Are you confirming that they also get them in the game?
    Dude asked what spells they get in the game and if we can assume is the same in the book, i don't know if they do, but i listed the ones in the book for context

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    ah your right I wasn't even thinking of that as narration for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    What I am saying is that you can't throw 17DC conversation checks at level 2 characters, it's really that simple.

Yes it's D&D, yes we roll dice for every last bloody thing we do, but DC needs to be appropriate for the task.

You should not face a bloody 17DC challenge as a level 2 baby that you have snowball's chance of beating by anything except for capped Charisma and proficiency for that level, at which point you still face >50% failures for the most mundane persuasion checks.

All the voice acting and careful scene conversation modeling is useless because you simply will never see a huge chunk of it, simply because anything but full balls to the wall lock/sorc with maxed out charisma, proficiency and Friends, can't realistically ever hope to beat the check without massive savescumming.

They need to reduce DC for many conversation checks by a good 4-5 points.
    DC17 at level 2? Charisma + proficiency in persuasion characters would have a 50/50 chance of succeeding.

The thing with a high DC is that you aren't necessarily naturally *suppose* to have a thing happen, it's just a great bonus if you do. Failure is as much a part of D&D as the successes are.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They have and are...

Oh, you know it baby. I am a professional feedback giver. Literally, I get paid to do so.

Edit: Also, because some people are asking me via DM; yes, I am enjoying this game thus far. I usually enjoy Larian products and really enjoyed the BG series. Nothing is ever how you imagine it 100%. I am okay with that and can have a fine time regardless of disappointments, surprises, the unexpected (good & bad), and so on. It's cool, brothers.

- - - Updated - - -

...bro. I have had to reload this game several times.
    Lol! Awesome.

And I am enjoying it also, even with it's present flaws. I expected there to be some.

Ditto. Many times. Like when I think after a wipe, " Crap! Now that was dumb, let the suckers come to your party. "
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Was excited until I heard it was just Early Access.

Even if it's in a very stable, nearly complete state knowing that it has more content coming is a turn-off. I can just wait for it to be 100% complete.

Wendigo did the cinematic bits, the "quaintest British guy ever" (great description! )did everything else far as I can recall.
    He worked well for the game's more out-there or tongue in cheek moments, but I feel his delivery felt flat on its face when it came to more serious/horrifying moments, or the sex scene where he added more unintentional comedy than anything else with his chipper tone.

And I totally imagine the guy having a bowler hat, a monocle and sipping tea in between each line as they recorded him IRL. That's how quaint he was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Because it's based on D&D, which I think is a huge mistake.

I mean, of course it has to be somewhat based on the system because of the name, but it's really going to highlight one of the big gulfs between games and tabletop, which is the insane randomness of the latter.

DOS2 had some hit randomness but not much (usually because you were blinded or something). If your actions in that game suddenly only had a 50% chance to work it would have been awful.
    Well, they can't get a license for that and not make it a D&D ruleset game. Thankfully it's 5e, so a lot of BS is streamlined already, but yes we still are going to suck that d20.

My chief feedback is that DC for many things right now is overturned, whether it's conversations or yes, combat.

Conversations are my no.1 pet peeve because of their single attempt nature, but I already talked about it.

Combat also needs a bit of a tuning, there are indeed way too much missing all around. I think they need to lower enemy AC a bit too, it feels 2-3 points higher than it should be.

Later on when we start having multiple attacks per turn it will be OK to touch up AC if they feel the need, but these low levels where you get one shot per turn - misses and especially chain misses are just frustrating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, they can't get a license for that and not make it a D&D ruleset game. Thankfully it's 5e, so a lot of BS is streamlined already, but yes we still are going to suck that d20.

My chief feedback is that DC for many things right now is overturned, whether it's conversations or yes, combat.

Conversations are my no.1 pet peeve because of their single attempt nature, but I already talked about it.

Combat also needs a bit of a tuning, there are indeed way too much missing all around. I think they need to lower enemy AC a bit too, it feels 2-3 points higher than it should be.

Later on when we start having multiple attacks per turn it will be OK to touch up AC if they feel the need, but these low levels where you get one shot per turn - misses and especially chain misses are just frustrating.
    That's mostly just D&D, honestly. You start off being pretty crappy at most things. Over time, you get better. D&D's always had the "level 1 wizard fights a house cat, and the house cat probably kills him" thing going on. If anything, it's better in 5e than it was in 3.X or before.

Having just restarted BG1 to play through the series again before the full launch, BG1's opening is pretty similar in this. First encounter I had outside the starter town was a couple wolves, and Imoen and I got slaughtered pretty bad due to a couple bad rolls in a row.

Oh noes, looks like I'm getting Xcom-PTSD

That's mostly just D&D, honestly. You start off being pretty crappy at most things. Over time, you get better. D&D's always had the "level 1 wizard fights a house cat, and the house cat probably kills him" thing going on. If anything, it's better in 5e than it was in 3.X or before.

Having just restarted BG1 to play through the series again before the full launch, BG1's opening is pretty similar in this. First encounter I had outside the starter town was a couple wolves, and Imoen and I got slaughtered pretty bad due to a couple bad rolls in a row.
    Starting to feel like the D&D rules are the biggest thing holding this game back. I think it's going to be an absolutely epic experience in terms of storytelling, graphics and choice, but I feel like the combat would be a ton better with a less strict adherence to 5E. A single action per turn pushes you to just do your best attack over and over, and the long rest/short rest thing is just crap and vague compared to resources and cooldowns. The huge amount of rng when it comes to hit and damage rolls is also kinda crappy in terms of agency in combat. DoS 2's combat is straight up superior in every way.

Use the spells, use the classes and subclasses and races and the setting. But for combat drop 5E values and make something unique.
    Last edited by Warning; 2020-10-09 at 09:55 AM.