Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do I have to level in Shadowlands from 50-60?

This might seem like a silly question but do you still earn exp from for example Cooking and Fishing daily quests in a capital city? do you still earn 'grey' level exp from doing older quests (for example Loremaster).

Pet Battles, Archaeology? do they still give steady/good amounts of experience as opposed to doing quests relevant for your level.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't *have* to level 50-60 in Shadowlands same as you didn't have to level 110-120 in BfA.
    I'be been doing ToC Dailies on my 110 alts and I'm still getting exp there, granted exp is crap, but you can still earn it.

You will be able to. It's always been like that and I don't think it's hard coded to prevent experience from being earned.

Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post

This might seem like a silly question but do you still earn exp from for example Cooking and Fishing daily quests in a capital city? do you still earn 'grey' level exp from doing older quests (for example Loremaster).

Pet Battles, Archaeology? do they still give steady/good amounts of experience as opposed to doing quests relevant for your level.
    Sure you can. You won't have access to endgame as you won't be able to access any of the new zones without quests... but you can^^
    I don't see why anybody would...

I mean there is a person still on the Pandarian Turtle... at cap... you can always level without doing the newest zones... Just takes a TON more time.

Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post

I'm assuming you can, but, IMO, the more pertinent question is: why would you?

You'd miss out on all the "free rep" you get during leveling which contributes to the eventual Pathfinder achievement that allows you to fly, none of the flight points unlocked, miss out the Covenent powers and soulbinds, etc...

I read something somewhere that as you're leveling in whichever expansion you choose, once you hit 50 you're instantly ported to Chromie, I assume Chromie time is optional and if I wanted too I could level alongside the other strange people that enjoy questing every zone as I go, as opposed to missing out expansions and leaving exp behind

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I'm assuming you can, but, IMO, the more pertinent question is: why would you?

You'd miss out on all the "free rep" you get during leveling which contributes to the eventual Pathfinder achievement that allows you to fly, none of the flight points unlocked, miss out the Covenent powers and soulbinds, etc...
    Just to make a point, you won't get flying via Reputation in SL like the other expansions, it'll be strictly through covenant renown system. Which still is a SL endgame system. Which you can't unlock without doing the leveling story. Which is like 80% of the EXP from 50-60... So in short, you absolutely want to level through the zones in this expansion, more than any previous expansion ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to level at least one toon from 50-60 through Shadowlands and finish the main campaign on that toon. The Shadowlands zone main story quests are also gated by character level. Currently on beta at least you cant start Maldraxus quest until 54, Ardenweld 56 and Revendreth 58.
    So the leveling order is fairly linear in Shadowlands.

Once your first toon completes the MSQ, your alts can choose to skip the MSQ and level through bonus quests, dungeons, WQs, herbing etc w/o impacting unlocking covenants or any of the new game systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Just to make a point, you won't get flying via Reputation in SL like the other expansions, it'll be strictly through covenant renown system. Which still is a SL endgame system. Which you can't unlock without doing the leveling story. Which is like 80% of the EXP from 50-60... So in short, you absolutely want to level through the zones in this expansion, more than any previous expansion ever.
    I wouldn't say that. WoD, Legion and BFA all required you to do the leveling storyline as part of Pathfinder. Shadowlands is no different in that regard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since it wasn’t mentioned, pet battle experience is still a thing, but I only did a couple in SL, but I’d assume they still give XP in Azeroth; I used to keep a 111-112 alt in Dalaran and use him for the pet battle dailies to level pets. And you get a fat burst of xp from the battle and the quest, so that should still work.

FWIW, random outdoor pet battles in SL offer almost as much XP as a completed quest, so if you have a bunch of 25’s, it can help in your leveling.

Edit: I just did a test, and the Dalaran daily does grant XP, so there you go.
    Last edited by taishar68; 2020-10-07 at 10:38 PM. Reason: additional info
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by dojichan View Post
    I mean there is a person still on the Pandarian Turtle... at cap... you can always level without doing the newest zones... Just takes a TON more time.
    Off topic but I wonder what's going to happen to them since the turtle won't exist as a zone any more.

10+ Year Old Account
    That guy's my hero.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Off topic but I wonder what's going to happen to them since the turtle won't exist as a zone any more.
    The turtle still exists. The new 1-10 zone is optional for existing players. It's infinitely better than basically all other starting zones, so you'd be silly to avoid it, but you can absolutely still do the original starting zones
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

You can also do pet battles. Those give exp at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    The turtle as well as the old starting zones, including the Wrath era DK starting zone, will continue to exist.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

That person is STILL doing that? Oh jfc such insanity!

In regards to this guy still at pandarias starting zone, I wonder if blizz will boot him with exile reach being a thing now.

15+ Year Old Account
    As others have mentioned, you can still do old world content for exp including dailies from various things but the question is why would you. Once you reach the "appropriate level" for the next expansion the amount of exp gained from those quests are cut to only 10% of what it previously gave. Then, as others have mentioned, you have the fact that you will be giving up all the rep rewards quests provide which are needed for so much stuff in Shadowlands (and other expansions when they were current too) in order to progress through the main storyline of the expansion. Even if flying for Shadowlands won't be gated behind reaching certain rep marks, it still will be gated behind quests and other achievements from doing Shadowlands content. To this day I still don't have flying in Draenor, Legion, or BFA because I refuse to do the pathfinder bullshit to unlock flying. I would much rather pay a freakin gold cost or even use real money to unlock flying.

I've leveled a majority of my characters in BfA without stepping foot in Zabdalar or Kul'tiras. Timewalking Dungeons and Pet Battling. I imagine it'll work the same in Shadowlands.