Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Ah ok sorry to bother you.
    I just would like to know if it is worth buying the game for the singleplayer story only. I'm not interested in another multiplayer game at the moment.
    Maybe someone else knows.
    My roommate refunded it last night because he didnt say it was worth it so probably not

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Ah ok sorry to bother you.
    I just would like to know if it is worth buying the game for the singleplayer story only. I'm not interested in another multiplayer game at the moment.
    Maybe someone else knows.
    I haven't bought the game yet, but from the reviews I've watched the campaign is mostly tutorial on how to fly the various ships. There is a story with some good set pieces, and it does cover a fairly key piece of the Star Wars war between the Empire and Rebel(New republic?), surrounding the creation of the Starhawk capitol ship project. There's 16 missions that takes about 6 hours.

is that worth $40? Eh...I wouldn't say so, but you might find it decent.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I been bashing VR since it existed. However THIS fucking game makes me really want to try it. Ill get a vomit bucket prepared. I seriously want to build my own cockpit and go full nerd here.

So far it looks like a slam dunk for VR and Tie-Fighter/X-Wing fans.
    So, in a normal VR game I only get slightly sick from extended sessions. This game wasn't bad at all. Doing barrel rolls was a little tough but only if I had a planet as a point of reference. The VR aspect was rock solid. X-wings are great because of their glass cockpits giving nearly 360 view, while a tie fight is all boxed in and just has a window. It made me really wish I had "normal" vr controls and could reach out and touch the instrument panels and levers myself.

Edit: I only liked the VR aspect. The base game is meh, and not worth $40. $15 on Origin + is a fine rental price.

Completed the single player portion in about 6 hours, and those were pretty fun, but i don't think the skirmish mode or whatever it's called will keep me engaged for long. Sound is amazing, graphics are pretty good and it captures that Star Wars feeling, but there's very little content.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    From what I am seeing, at present the HOTAS support is abysmal to say the least, even though I expect it to be patched soon.
    It really is. Not only with most kits the deadzone seems to be massive and then when it recognices the stick it starts oversteering hellishly. This on top that the ship doesn't really seem to react to the stick naturally. Instead it almoust feels like you'd have the mouse control on but they've just made the mouse indicator invisible.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    My roommate refunded it last night because he didnt say it was worth it so probably not
    Bought it last night at the recommendation of my brother-in-law, who we used to play the old x-wing/TIE Fighter games. Refunded it about 30 min later. controls are abysmal. I don't care if anything else is good or not. Not interested in games that control like ass.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Note: Multiplayer is cross platform PS4, Xbox, and PC.

So if you are playing on console, know you will be pair up and face people on using PC.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It really is. Not only with most kits the deadzone seems to be massive and then when it recognices the stick it starts oversteering hellishly. This on top that the ship doesn't really seem to react to the stick naturally. Instead it almoust feels like you'd have the mouse control on but they've just made the mouse indicator invisible.
    Unfortunately that's what I see many people saying. Also, the single player content seems to be very short, which is expected but disappointing. Overall, I will wait until they add more content and fix HOTAS before considering it.

PS great signatures btw

Played it a bit over a friend's house. Visuals are nice, especially the space backdrops and ships. But, for me, combat feels somehow inferior to Freelancer (that's 15++ years old). Personally, I wouldn't buy it because I find the content and mechanics are sub-par.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I haven't bought the game yet, but from the reviews I've watched the campaign is mostly tutorial on how to fly the various ships. There is a story with some good set pieces, and it does cover a fairly key piece of the Star Wars war between the Empire and Rebel(New republic?), surrounding the creation of the Starhawk capitol ship project. There's 16 missions that takes about 6 hours.

is that worth $40? Eh...I wouldn't say so, but you might find it decent.
    Real shame, i think them limiting it to current disney cannon will doom this game and limit it. If they had gone with legends the amount of ships they could have used is staggering. ALl the varriants of Ties, ewings, kwings, bwings. Uglies, chiss ships, vong and on and on. Disney wars just hasnt fleshed out the fighter combat and the technicals behinds the ships as well as it was in the EU. I was massivly disappointed at the selection of ships they chose to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Real shame, i think them limiting it to current disney cannon will doom this game and limit it. If they had gone with legends the amount of ships they could have used is staggering. ALl the varriants of Ties, ewings, kwings, bwings. Uglies, chiss ships, vong and on and on. Disney wars just hasnt fleshed out the fighter combat and the technicals behinds the ships as well as it was in the EU. I was massivly disappointed at the selection of ships they chose to give.
    I'm not sure Squadrons balance has anything to do with canon or not. I think they just wanted to make a quick and easy fighter PVP game. They used the same engine from Battlefront 2, just suped up the controls and details a bit.

It's possible they might expand on the game and add more fighters and missions and such, if it picks up enough popularity. The core is there to build on. But given the nature of past EA games.....I find that scenario unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'm not sure Squadrons balance has anything to do with canon or not. I think they just wanted to make a quick and easy fighter PVP game. They used the same engine from Battlefront 2, just suped up the controls and details a bit.

It's possible they might expand on the game and add more fighters and missions and such, if it picks up enough popularity. The core is there to build on. But given the nature of past EA games.....I find that scenario unlikely.
    I dunno, everyone i know that played rogue squadron games back in the day would kill for a modern take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I dunno, everyone i know that played rogue squadron games back in the day would kill for a modern take on it.
    Don't get me wrong. I would love it if the game takes off. But while you and I might think a lot of people enjoy something, EA operates at scopes of a higher magnitude. They need a game to to be massively successful in the millions of copies sold.

I hope that happens. But we'll see what actually happens.

The story content is short but it is well worth it imo, very well designed and feels really authentic to the IP, giving that Star Wars feel.

Star Wars: Squadrons – Launch Story Trailer: youtu.be/4bYYKiSsoyc

This game is pretty amazing in VR. I wish VR controllers were supported though.

Unfortunately that's what I see many people saying. Also, the single player content seems to be very short, which is expected but disappointing. Overall, I will wait until they add more content and fix HOTAS before considering it.

PS great signatures btw
    Regarding this, the patch yesterday appear to have fixed most of my issues with HOTAS at least, it feels thousand times smoother and controllable than before.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account

PS great signatures btw
    They aren't planning any extra content: https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wa...t-oculus-quest
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Well, that's a shame about the content, but good to know about the HOTAS.

Thank you both for the update ( @Wilian and @Mirishka)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's a shame about the content, but good to know about the HOTAS.

Thank you both for the update ( @Wilian and @Mirishka)
    No problem at all.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I've wanted to try this since it released, but I can't even get my game to launch. I'm not the only one with this issue, either. The initial Easy Anti-Cheat splash pops up, the load bar fills, and then... it just closes. I've tried everything I can find, and nothing seems to work, so I guess I just sit and hope they eventually patch it.