Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Little game called vanilla wow? Heard of it?
    As someone who actually played Vanilla I can categorically say that this statement is completely false. You did not have to do loremaster to get to 60. I got the original loremaster achievement before Cata. At level 80.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    I've been out of the industry for a while, but testers were always bottom of the barrel in terms of pay, and most devs weren't payed all that much either. Massive demand for the job keeps salaries low.

On topic... I'm glad you can xp lock now so you can complete an area, but it would be MUCH better if it would not auto-force you to leave at 50. Basically auto-lock you at 50 until you left Chromie-time, then auto-unlock you.
    Why don't they just do what they did in the past. Hit 50 and then all of a sudden xp gains are reduced 90 percent. They have been doing that since Cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    This will be much more than that tho. It might mean the death of free wow addons. If overwolf bans all other clients from using curse, limit download speed and say 1 addon per hour download unless you pay a hefty premium sum. Then what ? we start using wowinterface ? what if overwolf buys them aswell ?

I hope blizzard will intervene here and stop overwolf from being allowed to monetize addons
    just move to other sites, like wowinterface back in the day, or another site will pop up. curse has to be worth something since it keeps getting sold so there has to be a monetary gain somehow with it

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    As someone who actually played Vanilla I can categorically say that this statement is completely false. You did not have to do loremaster to get to 60. I got the original loremaster achievement before Cata. At level 80.
    Yeah because achievements were introduced in Wrath of the Lich King.

i don't know anything about overwolf never used it but i recently found out that 1 of my friends works for them, i'm kind of disappointed that twitch isn't doing add-ons anymore only reason i have an account with them.

i don't think my friend would work for them if they were still scummy tho, im tempted to give them a try atleast.

i will say this tho the second they start charging for downloading/faster downloading its gone

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    I’m level 56 on the beta, have came across one minor inconvenience so far. I think your assessment regarding the state of things may be a bit misleading. Beta really isn’t in that bad of a state from what I’ve seen.
    It will become self-evident once you're 60 and the systems on systems on systems start to pile on to your class

Wow, overwolf is really bending law and moral here to their fits. I'll never download their client like this. I was gonna test it, but now.. naw.

• Distribute the authors’ intellectual property without their consent
    This is what the whole side is about. Also you can track downloads over every client. The moment someone sucks data from your server you know it.

• Prevent us from tracking engagement, and therefore you impact authors’ earnings
    Same as above

• There’s a full team working on building and maintaining the CurseForge backend, support, file moderation etc., and you’re using this (and our bandwidth) without consent and against terms of service.
    Everyone would also use this, if he just directly downloads the stuff from the side. This is just a wacky excuse to force their own downloader

There will always be a free opensource downloader as long as you can download the things directly from their website and if I have to write it myself.

Can't wait for other repos to popup within days after overwolf closes the API.

Quote Originally Posted by muten roshi View Post
    Yeah because achievements were introduced in Wrath of the Lich King.
    Achievements, when introduced, were retroactively given for those you had already completed the requirements. So if you indeed had to do "every single quest to reach level 60" in vanilla, you'd get the Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdom Loremaster achievements at Wrath launch.

Overwolf can go f itself based on the name alone. Sounds scummy, IS scummy.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    What’s the difference between manually downloading and scripting it?
    I’d argue the scripting uses less of their bandwidth, does not steal anyone’s addon ideas, and can still be tracked via IP address, user agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Achievements, when introduced, were retroactively given for those you had already completed the requirements. So if you indeed had to do "every single quest to reach level 60" in vanilla, you'd get the Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdom Loremaster achievements at Wrath launch.
    He said he got them in Wrath.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Overwolf can go f itself based on the name alone. Sounds scummy, IS scummy.
    lol? what's wrong with the name

He said he got them in Wrath.
    The poster also said that they got the achievements at level 80:
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    I got the original loremaster achievement before Cata. At level 80.
    Which means they did not get them when Wrath launched, but only after they finished leveling up to max level, implying that after reaching max level they went back to Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdom to finish the quests and get the achievements.

My only experience with OverWolf was a really terrible TeamSpeak overlay a number of years back, which didn't work properly and spammed me with ads.

I was willing to give their addon client a shot, expecting to just open it every few days to update add-ons and close it down afterwards, but not with the bullshit tactics and rhetoric in the article.

I'll also be moving my add-ons elsewhere, probably wowinterface. Do the open source wow addon updaters pull from WoWI as well?

The poster also said that they got the achievements at level 80:
    Which is the max level for Wrath of the Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    I think that you are overrating the number of WoW add-on users.

How many people do you think are actually pushing the “update all” button at the same time every second of every day? I click the button 2/3 times A WEEK and add-ons needing an upgrade are usually no more than 5 with the operation lasting maybe 20 seconds max.

I don’t really think bandwidth usage is an issue here.
    You would be surprised. During patch days, probably 100s of thousands per hour, patch weeks, 10s of thousands per hour. When I released new versions of my modestly used addon (50k users), new version would be picked up by 10.000 users in less than 3 hours.

Which is the max level for Wrath of the Lich King.
    ... Yes, and? Come on, think about it a little. Level 80 is the max level for Wrath, which means it's not the level you would be when the expansion started, and achievements were something introduced on Wrath launch, so... continue the thought. I'm sure you'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    This will be much more than that tho. It might mean the death of free wow addons. If overwolf bans all other clients from using curse, limit download speed and say 1 addon per hour download unless you pay a hefty premium sum. Then what ? we start using wowinterface ? what if overwolf buys them aswell ?

I hope blizzard will intervene here and stop overwolf from being allowed to monetize addons
    Blizzard isn't going to do squat because addons are not of their concern.

... Yes, and? Come on, think about it a little. Level 80 is the max level for Wrath, which means it's not the level you would be when the expansion started, and achievements were something introduced on Wrath launch, so... continue the thought. I'm sure you'll get there.
    Loremaster requires the Northrend quests as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Blizzard isn't going to do squat because addons are not of their concern.
    The only thing blizzard cares about about addons is the code can't be obfuscated. They killed several paid addons back in the day for it. As far as how addon repos want to handle access, they don't care and I don't see how they could police it short of sending cease and desists for any site using their trademarks.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    I think that you are overrating the number of WoW add-on users.

How many people do you think are actually pushing the “update all” button at the same time every second of every day? I click the button 2/3 times A WEEK and add-ons needing an upgrade are usually no more than 5 with the operation lasting maybe 20 seconds max.

I don’t really think bandwidth usage is an issue here.
    There is more than likely a huge spike around major patch/update. That's when the bandwidth issue happens. I bet someone isn't smart enough to realize it and just runs monthly or quarterly reports.

Loremaster requires the Northrend quests as well.
    No.

They don't.

Unless you're talking about "The Loremaster" achievement, which is irrelevant since it's a meta-achievement that requires other loremaster achievements.