Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    overwolf is just spyware, dont use any of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    The problem is they went after wowup though

https://www.patreon.com/posts/overwolf-42560453
    Oh, so they're scum. I see. I'd rather manually install addons than install that shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Creation Club basically Bethesda endorsed mods except they come with a price. BGS tried to make all steam workshop mods for Skyrim pay so authors get some money...didn't end well by the community. This creation club is or was said to be "Not paid mods" Which it was in reality but some ppl are Bethesda are idiots. Its not very popular, the community hates it(Well those that play Bethesda games anyways).

Its still around today but people don't like the extra price tag on these mods(Less to do with helping mod authors, they wanted a cut).
    Exactly. That's what I have an issue with as well. Every time this comes up, the {BRAND} positions themselves as "protecting creators," but what it really seems like is that they're protecting their own bottom line.

I don't use it. I'm a much better one called Personal Brain.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Oh, so they're scum. I see. I'd rather manually install addons than install that shite.
    .. it's the same then. You go to curse(that's overwolf now!) see adds on their website and download addons. Instead of using overwolf client to see adds and automatically download them. What's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    .. it's the same then. You go to curse(that's overwolf now!) see adds on their website and download addons. Instead of using overwolf client to see adds and automatically download them. What's the point.
    The client is literal Malware.

While that is true, I hope wowup or cursebreaker will be an option.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Because at least curse allow people to freely use their API - overwolf basically saying to the guy who created wowup to "join us or we'll cut you off" is a scummy move.

We found the overwolf employee
    So having an opinion different than yours means they're a shill/employee/white knight/etc?

15+ Year Old Account
    Again, why would they? Curse/Overwolf is paying addon creators to host their addons on their site. Sure there are addon creators out there who have no problem with their addons to be download for free from whatever client, but that's surely not the case with everyone.
    Sure, find me any number of creators who want their work locked to end-users by a paywall from a company they have no contractual ties with. For some pennies in return they get to destroy years of community goodwill. I don't have a source for this but I reckon it's likely that every addon author that DOES make money from their addons atm do so by means of direct community support i.e. Patreon or equivalent. If they choose to turn their back on the end-users and bow down to corporate greed, that patreon cash stream will dry up near instantaneous.

This whole Overwolf power move is bad for the end-user, bad for the author and from the way things look right now it's certainly bad for Overwolf too. Just an absolute 0 iq move.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    So having an opinion different than yours means they're a shill/employee/white knight/etc?
    So you are fine with being scammed

I had no idea what you were talking about. Is that thing another 3rd party addon updater? Or something that has to do with any of this?
    Besides it being the exact same thing your bosses are doing, besides being the owners of said software so in a much better position legally, can't really think of why that would be relevant.

So you are fine with being scammed
    Again: So having an opinion different than yours means they're a shill/employee/white knight/etc?

And as far as I recall, I have not stated my own position regarding this Overwolf situation in any way, shape or form. I simply criticized your position regarding other people's opinions, so do try to focus on the question you replied to, please.

10+ Year Old Account
    scraping is perfectly normal as long as the website is public, if you don't want to get viewed and have data pulled then don't make a website, rather a paid closed ressource. which would not be allowed by blizz by the way.

overwolf is getting some hate which means they're shooting themselves in the foot with those kinds of messages; tells you how smart they are

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Sure, find me any number of creators who want their work locked to end-users by a paywall from a company they have no contractual ties with. For some pennies in return they get to destroy years of community goodwill. I don't have a source for this but I reckon it's likely that every addon author that DOES make money from their addons atm do so by means of direct community support i.e. Patreon or equivalent. If they choose to turn their back on the end-users and bow down to corporate greed, that patreon cash stream will dry up near instantaneous.

This whole Overwolf power move is bad for the end-user, bad for the author and from the way things look right now it's certainly bad for Overwolf too. Just an absolute 0 iq move.
    Literally over 90% of all addons right now..

Besides that Overwolf client is not charging you anything. They show you adds.

What we need is another competitor to Overwolf. With a client like wowup with 2 banners left and ride showing some korean mmo adds while I can download all my addons in 30 seconds and close it again.

Literally over 90% of all addons right now..

Besides that Overwolf client is not charging you anything. They show you adds.

What we need is another competitor to Overwolf. With a client like wowup with 2 banners left and ride showing some korean mmo adds while I can download all my addons in 30 seconds and close it again.
    Do your bosses want you talking about competition like that? Careful we don't want you losing your job over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    So we want more simple boss fights like classic? lol
    Not everyone uses addons so you then end up with a gap between the players who play normal and the ones basically using cheat codes to make the game easier for them which is much harder for Blizzard to create/balance content around. If its an in game system like a dungeon journal or telegraphs its much easier to design around it as you know everyone will have it.

Why do scalpers exist? Because they offer a better version of the client they are scrapping from.

If your putting out a bloated/spyware infested mess someone else thinks "hey I can make a better client then this".
    And its always telling if companies go after the better product rather then improve the issues with their own.

All these other update programs wouldn't exist if the curse client wasn't garbage.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Why do scalpers exist? Because they offer a better version of the client they are scrapping from.

If your putting out a bloated/spyware infested mess someone else thinks "hey I can make a better client then this".
    And its always telling if companies go after the better product rather then improve the issues with their own.

All these other update programs wouldn't exist if the curse client wasn't garbage.
    They also wouldn't exist without curses database they download it from.

Oh, look, another bunch of entitled millennials discovering that nothing of value is free