Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Except as they are in the databae, they are and that was where those 3rd party sites got them from. So,unless those 3rd party sites create their on database and get each creator to put their addon on their site, they won't have it at all as it will be illegal to take it from Overwolf.
    the database doesnt own the addons

- - - Updated - - -

They created the post to inform the users. It's called communication. If they did it without saying anything you would be screaming even louder than you already are. Hell, you already see how much screaming is done when Blizzard makes a change in game and tells nobody about it(see max level mob scaling). They are telling people ahead of time.

- - - Updated - - -

And you know that how? Judging by this thread, none of the complainers donate which means the creators aren't making any money at all. We really don't know what they are making from donations and we don't know how things will work in the new app as that hasn't been released yet.
    give proof of how much you have donated or zip it

I was already planning on boycotting Overwolf and their Ad-riddled malware bullshit. This cute little tantrum they threw only reinforces that decision, and pushes more people to do the same.

Good job Overwolf, you're all fucking stupid. I hope your company rots. The gaming world is better without you.
    Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    we got all the overwolf people here supporting shitty practices its disguisting
    Their goons have been known to haunt these forums, but it seems like they're not doing it in the open anymore. I wonder why? /s
    Last edited by Sithalos; 2020-10-10 at 07:35 PM.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

15+ Year Old Account

And you know that how? Judging by this thread, none of the complainers donate which means the creators aren't making any money at all. We really don't know what they are making from donations and we don't know how things will work in the new app as that hasn't been released yet.
    Weird assumption.

https://www.patreon.com/deadlybossmods - 1300+ backers, lowest tier 1$ per month. That's atleast 1300$ per month, probably more. Do you really think they'll be able to show enough ads and/or peddle enough overwolf subscriptions to back every single addon coder without going bankrupt? I sincerely doubt it.

Even so, if the DBM author would "sell out" and stick to Curse for the payout, I doubt he'll keep his good standing and the patreon donations on their current level. Moreover, there is then an opportunity to take over for somebody else who would leave curse behind and join a different platform that doesn't have the draconian restriction levels that Overwolf is aiming for.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    the database doesnt own the addons
    But the dataqbase has the addon which the other sitesw are taking from. Therefore Overwolf owns the data(add on) that the 3rd party sites are taking from. Unless those 3rd party sites create their own database and host their own copy of the addon, it will be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Weird assumption.

https://www.patreon.com/deadlybossmods - 1300+ backers, lowest tier 1$ per month. That's atleast 1300$ per month, probably more. Do you really think they'll be able to show enough ads and/or peddle enough overwolf subscriptions to back every single addon coder without going bankrupt? I sincerely doubt it.

Even so, if the DBM author would "sell out" and stick to Curse for the payout, I doubt he'll keep his good standing and the patreon donations on their current level. Moreover, there is then an opportunity to take over for somebody else who would leave curse behind and join a different platform that doesn't have the draconian restriction levels that Overwolf is aiming for.
    That's a rare exception. Again over 90% of all addons are not. Also, you can have your addon on Overwolf and receive donations. That's not exclusive.

But the dataqbase has the addon which the other sitesw are taking from. Therefore Overwolf owns the data(add on) that the 3rd party sites are taking from. Unless those 3rd party sites create their own database and host their own copy of the addon, it will be illegal.
    still waiting for proof you have donated as you claim

Weird assumption.

You mean a platform that doesn't exist because they all rely on the curse database to exist in the first place? Good luck with that. Oh, and they will likely still have their Pateron, so they will have that and get paid by Overwolf. Of course, this is a bigger deal to the creators that don't have a patreon as they don't have enough people to support one. But nowhere did Overwolf say that addon creators would not be able to have a patreon or have to give it up. Of course you pick the rare exception and that 97% of addons are nowhere near that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    That's a rare exception. Again over 90% of all addons are not. Also, you can have your addon on Overwolf and receive donations. That's not exclusive.
    Exactly. Overwlf never said you couldn't have a Patreon.

Na hosting sites do not own any of the intellectual property that users put on there. That would be ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    You mean a platform that doesn't exist because they all rely on the curse database to exist in the first place? Good luck with that. Oh, and they will likely still have their Pateron, so they will have that and get paid by Overwolf. Of course, this is a bigger deal to the creators that don't have a patreon as they don't have enough people to support one. But nowhere did Overwolf say that addon creators would not be able to have a patreon or have to give it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Overwlf never said you couldn't have a Patreon.
    Actually, the most popular addons by a landslide margin don't rely on Curse but on TukUI.

You *DO* realise that Patreon donations rely on goodwill by the community right? The moment he sells out, people will stop donating.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Na hosting sites do not own any of the intellectual property that users put on there. That would be ridiculous.
    But if Overwolf makes the data private, they essentially own that copy of the addon. The addon creator would be free to upload a copy with the others, but they will have to create their own database to house it. They won't be able to scrape it from Overwolf anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, the most popular addons by a landslide margin don't rely on Curse but on TukUI.

You *DO* realise that Patreon donations rely on goodwill by the community right? The moment he sells out, people will stop donating.
    And you know that how? He isn't moving his addon anywhere. He is still keeping it there it has always been. So you cannot say with any certainly that people will stop donating. You also act like that is the only place he can upload it to. If others create database to house addons, he can put them there too. He isn't selling out.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    I think it's getting their data without going through their website, like downloading addons via twitch doesn't require you to go through curse, so they can't monetize their 99999 ads.

Either way, blizz will not allow them to charge money for addons, so this will likely backfire on them.
    They're not trying to charge money for addons, they're trying to force everyone onto their platform so that they can make ad revenue under the guise of "supporting developers". The scare tactic they're going with is "it's illegal for you to download things off other sites such as github or the developers actual website because it's 'not under supported API'". However the reality is the only ToS you NEED to follow is Blizzard. Overwolf is attempting to skate the line of profitability when it comes to addon's so that they can make some money by basically lying to people and telling them that it's an illegal addon if it doesn't come from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Overwolf is attempting to skate the line of profitability when it comes to addon's so that they can make some money by basically lying to people and telling them that it's an illegal addon if it doesn't come from them.
    Their fearmongering propaganda is really cute. They must think people are stupid.

A quick glance at their social media proves otherwise..

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Their fearmongering propaganda is really cute. They must think people are really stupid.

A quick glance at their social media proves otherwise..
    Most people seem to not realize that they gonna lose most of their addons in 2 weeks.

Most people seem to not realize that they gonna lose most of their addons in 2 weeks.
    Most of the important ones are already on GitHub, and installing them manually isn't hard.

Also, Overwolf's little stunt is going to cause a lot more addons to pop up on GitHub. I can only wonder why..

Curse is dead to me.
    Last edited by Sithalos; 2020-10-10 at 08:00 PM.

Again, They are NOT CHARGING anyone to download the addon That is what is against the ToS. They are paying the creators through the ad revenue generated by the number of downloads. What Overwolf is doing is not against the ToS because the user will still download the add on for free.
    do you have a source for this? coz my gut instant tells me that they will soon if this keeps up

im not saying that its wrong i just dont believe that they wont, heck i dont even fully believe an acquaintance of mine that works there

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    do you have a source for this? coz my gut instant tells me that they will soon if this keeps up

im not saying that its wrong i just dont believe that they wont, heck i dont even fully believe an acquaintance of mine that works there
    The Blizzard TOS stops them. They start saying "You have to pay to get this addon." will be the day Blizzard says "Cease this or we'll take you to court." and Blizzard have not been shy about taking people to court over things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The Blizzard TOS stops them. They start saying "You have to pay to get this addon." will be the day Blizzard says "Cease this or we'll take you to court." and Blizzard have not been shy about taking people to court over things.
    Blizzard then has to prove that selling addons is harmful to them. That's why they didn't do anything to all the addons that are behind a paywall for the last 15 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Am I the only one here who's boomer enough to remember the old curse client with the atrocious download speeds that made you click every addon one by one unless you paid for the update all button and good download speeds?

That's technically not behind a paywall but oh man do I not ever wanna go back to these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard then has to prove that selling addons is harmful to them. That's why they didn't do anything to all the addons that are behind a paywall for the last 15 years.
    Name literally one addon that's only accessible behind a paywall right now or any point in the last 15 years.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

They are not being scum. And nobody said they had to be making a living off of it. All we have said is that the creators should be paid for their work regardless of whether it is a hobby or not. Extra money is a good thing during these times even if it is just a hobby.

The only scum here are the leeches stealing from a database. They should create their own database and stop stealing.
    They are being scum, whether you like it or not, they are completely by telling the guy to implement what he's doing with them or get cut off.

They're not "leeches" when Curse has allowed them to use their API for years. Overwolf clearly doesn't like it, but should still respect the people that have been using it. It's complete domination by removing that, knowing that they have 90% of WoW addons using that database. It's only going to do them harm using this stance and it already is, so good.

Wowup already intended on creating their own database, but that's happening sooner for the guy developing it and people are only backing him quicker and more because of Overwolf being scum. Most people are going to jump ship than use their shitty, malware filled piece of crap app anyway.
    Last edited by THEORACLE64; 2020-10-10 at 08:02 PM.

Am I the only one here who's boomer enough to remember the old curse client with the atrocious download speeds that made you click every addon one by one unless you paid for the update all button and good download speeds?

That's technically not behind a paywall but oh man do I not ever wanna go back to these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Name literally one addon that's only accessible behind a paywall right now or any point in the last 15 years.
    Zygor is the most prominent one.