Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Is there really an argument that vanilla required people do every quest in the game to reach 60? You realize you can test it now in classic. It wasn't even close. I distinctly remember skipping SoS, winterspring, searing gorge, feralas and several more on my horde toon. i dinged 60 not long after i started EPL. there was no unified story chain either. i'm still peeved that i gave my eranikus (sp?) trinket to some dude in winterspring and the chain literally just stopped there. that was back when there were almost no good trinkets.
    Last edited by iperson; 2020-10-10 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    No.

Unless you're talking about "The Loremaster"achievement, which is irrelevant since it's a meta-achievement that requires other loremaster achievements.
    Yes, we were talking about the loremaster achievement. Pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by muten roshi View Post
    Yes, we were talking about the loremaster achievement. Pay attention.
    It's amusing, to say the least, that you're telling me to 'pay attention', considering you're ignoring that Wrath introduced five loremaster achievements: one for EK, one for Kalimdor, one for Outland, and one for Wrath, plus the loremaster meta-achievement.

And if you paid attention to the discussion, let me elucidate this for you: the whole discussion about the loremaster achievement blossomed from this idea that, back in vanilla WoW, even if you did all the quests in the game you would still not reach max level, requiring you to grind mobs for XP. Then munkeyinorbit claimed this is false and mentioned that "they got the loremaster achievement at level 80".

If you "paid attention", as per your own words, you would see that he's talking about the Kalimdor and EK loremaster achievements, that he had to go back and do more quests in those continents to get the achievements.

But why not ask directly? @munkeyinorbit. On this post of yours, did you mean the loremaster meta-achievement, or the individual Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor loremaster achievements?

Another great change. Thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    wait you mean we cant use twitch to get addons anymore?
    end of october/start of november twitch will no longer be able to download addons and you will have to go over to overwolf who bought curse or any of the clients. However, overwolf is trying to kill of the other clients so you are forced to use overwolf as the only client that works with curse. They told wowup to work with overwolf or lose access to the api

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    I'll also be moving my add-ons elsewhere, probably wowinterface. Do the open source wow addon updaters pull from WoWI as well?
    Most of the new updaters do:
    https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

Angry Overwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    Overwolf can go screw themselves and their shitty AddOn manager. I won't EVER touch it.
    Yeah. Fuck Overwolf. Not interested in their garbage. I'll go to WoWinterface if I have to.

10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA This part right here : "Twitch chose us as the new home for CurseForge, and we were honored and excited to get things rolling" LMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    end of october/start of november twitch will no longer be able to download addons and you will have to go over to overwolf who bought curse or any of the clients. However, overwolf is trying to kill of the other clients so you are forced to use overwolf as the only client that works with curse. They told wowup to work with overwolf or lose access to the api
    Or, and this is a shocker...
    You manually update your addons.

Most stuff you barely have to touch during an expansion anyway. Your buttons, health bars, weakaura ect, unless Blizzard changes the underlying API, they just keep working. Its only bossmods and the likes that you need to update somewhat regularly.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I will manually update my addons before I use overwolf if they manage to find some way to kill wowup. They don't own the copyright on addon managers lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    I do. And I highly doubt you only reached level 60 there after doing every single quest in the game.
    Well no, because you'd outlevel most of the quests but the sentiment is essentially the same: Having less quests than needed to reach max level without grinding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    So is there any way to make leveling feel a bit engaging or is it godmode all the way to 60?
    Was hoping they'd use the level rescaling to reinvigorate some actual leveling gameplay but it seems like it's the opposite.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2020-10-10 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkusa View Post
    The new WoWUp one seems pretty nice, been using it for a couple of weeks now. Really lightweight, minimalistic.
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I've been avoiding the headache until I sub again for prepatch but the day has come.

Ill install addons manually before I ever download anything Overwolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    The last time I remember anyone doing levelling testing on the beta was when they were forced to..

Template characters are a thing
    Template 60's are only available on one server and they just did a character wipe recently. I guarantee their is activity on the others and they are in fact leveling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Well, yeah all those sites were scraping from the Curse database. How dare Overwolf not wanting other sites to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal2u View Post
    just move to other sites, like wowinterface back in the day, or another site will pop up. curse has to be worth something since it keeps getting sold so there has to be a monetary gain somehow with it
    All those other sites pull from the Curse database. They are all basically dead at this point.

I'm already missing the twitch client.

All the other ones people are making are pretty good for updating existing mods, but trying to find new ones is really difficult. I gave up on wowup because you couldn't sort by category so unless you knew the name of the mod you were looking for to search you wouldn't find what you wanted.

(also I ended up screwing up some of my mods when trying out another client because it couldn't tell the difference between the classic and non classic installs and loaded classic mods overwriting the retail version and it caused...issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Twelveplay View Post
    It always amazes me how people accept to test blizzard's product for free where most people are paying high salaries for testers in gaming industry and software aswell.
    I mean it's nice, and i thank these people for trying to make a game i will play better, but i'd expect some money for doing that xD
    That's..betas though? Betas have been an industry standard for 30 years. There's absolutely no way to get enough people to properly break and test a game otherwise and even that's not enough.

Players are unpredictable and you often don't find out that doing X while in Y during Z at the exact same time as U will crash the server until a player on live does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I've been avoiding the headache until I sub again for prepatch but the day has come.
    WOwUp is basically dead as they use the Curse Database.

I wonder if they will not gather your information if you are from the EU if they do collect it well then They have a large amount of lawsuits coming really soon EU loves their privacy and they will sue overwolf into foreclosure over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    WOwUp is basically dead as they use the Curse Database.
    You either misunderstand or are being deceitful.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/overwolf-42560453

Catalog search might get broken if Overwolf removes the api, but there have been webcrawler versions of alternate addon updaters long before the curse api.
    Some of us old farts remember well the saga of WoWMatrix. (https://www.engadget.com/2009-05-06-...interface.html)

Plus, Overwolf is so hated by the community that real effort is being put in to create a viable alternative this time.

WowUp might not end up being the ultimate solution, but one of the many free options probably will.
    https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn’t achievements start in the Wrath prepatch? My earliest ones are from 10/14/08, which was a month before Wrath launched, and I remember logging on in Shattrath when they first started popping up.

As for leveling In vanilla, I can attest you did not need every quest completed, but there were areas where I did a lot of farming that helped the XP; furbolgs, the mobs in WPL trying to get Crusader...mobs in WPL & EPL for AD rep. I did the Loremaster achievements pre-Cata, and I had to go back and look for quests to hit the numerical marks in certain places (iirc). Even then, as I came to learn in Classic, there were a few quests I still missed.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"