Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

So next week tanking stops being fun.

Gonna suck big time to lose beam of devestation, that was one of the most fun things ever.

I never used beam when tanking but losing all damage from thunderclap with the talent "reshuffle" (read: destruction) is seriously going to make leveling a prot warrior suck in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Gonna suck big time to lose beam of devestation, that was one of the most fun things ever.
    pretty much back to doing 30-40% of a dps while moving raid bosses on rails for tanks. Tanks once again in SL have little impact on their own hp bars except for dk i guess. I do love just being a meat shield that moves the boss from set location to set location while doing almost no damage or control on my survivability.

Edit: atleast our aoe dps is ok for mythic+ i just hate the state of tanks in raid, its boring AF and has almost no impact assuming you can handle the basic rotation.

My Death Knight is gonna be just as fun to tank as with or without Twilight Devastation.

Yeah its fun seeing a murder laser beam crit for 500k but it functionally does nothing for my gameplay as a tank.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    But you get your class "flavor" back!! Plus if you are a Prot Pally, you get Holy Power. At least we will have a long time (at least no announcement date in sight) to practice while selling Jaina mounts!

Stay safe and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    pretty much back to doing 30-40% of a dps while moving raid bosses on rails for tanks. Tanks once again in SL have little impact on their own hp bars except for dk i guess. I do love just being a meat shield that moves the boss from set location to set location while doing almost no damage or control on my survivability.

Edit: atleast our aoe dps is ok for mythic+ i just hate the state of tanks in raid, its boring AF and has almost no impact assuming you can handle the basic rotation.
    What you mean is being independent of healers. A tank has nearly complete control of his survivability. But yeah, with the shit ton of gear tanks have right now, they are pretty much independent of healers, but that's not really a good thing. Going back to trash gear in SL with Tanks needing way more actual healing is not bad, nor does it impact the control of his survivability.
    Last edited by Clozer; 2020-10-10 at 10:52 PM.

They'll definitely bring it back in another form. Trust me. But it won't be the same at all.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Not entirely true.

I main bear, and the recent frenzy regen buff on PTR, added with its associated conduit on the beta, stacking mastery + vers, I could in practice heal for 60+% of my hp with one cast of FR. That's a crazy amount of healing. Now add the conduit that auto casts a FR when you drop below 25%.

everyone lose corruption and it was about time by the way :P

so, we'll see if all the change will nerf everyone to the ground or not

I really don't agree that overpowered means fun.

If you want to dps as a Tank. FFXIV is there for you.

I cannot wait for the terrible corruption to go away so what you press becomes relevant again, rather than the random proc on your gear.

How about some more nerf with that whine?

pretty much back to doing 30-40% of a dps while moving raid bosses on rails for tanks. Tanks once again in SL have little impact on their own hp bars except for dk i guess. I do love just being a meat shield that moves the boss from set location to set location while doing almost no damage or control on my su
    Oh no! You mean a tank will have to go back to being a tank rather than using an rng proc to do obscene damage?! The injustice!

Tanks are way too entitled, and want to do more dps than a dps class, while healing more than a healer and more survivability than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    What you mean is being independent of healers. A tank has nearly complete control of his survivability. But yeah, with the shit ton of gear tanks have right now, they are pretty much independent of healers, but that's not really a good thing. Going back to trash gear in SL with Tanks needing way more actual healing is not bad, nor does it impact the control of his survivability.
    I personally enjoyed Legion tanking, where tanks were self sufficient. It felt good, and gratifying being a tank knowing that you were the reason you were alive. The healers still had 4 players (minimum) to worry about, and you got to have good gameplay. When tanks don't deal good damage, can only mitigate damage, particularly in fights where damage is constant and not spread out (Jaina at-content would be an example), only really position the boss, and taunt swap tanking feels dull.

We're a role that some people want to force into some weird little box where all we do is taunt, and get healed by healers, which may have worked 10-15 years ago, but I for one enjoy my decisions actually mattering beyond positioning. Which is usually figured out in the first week or 2 of a raid tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    I personally enjoyed Legion tanking, where tanks were self sufficient. It felt good, and gratifying being a tank knowing that you were the reason you were alive. The healers still had 4 players (minimum) to worry about, and you got to have good gameplay. When tanks don't deal good damage, can only mitigate damage, particularly in fights where damage is constant and not spread out (Jaina at-content would be an example), only really position the boss, and taunt swap tanking feels dull.

We're a role that some people want to force into some weird little box where all we do is taunt, and get healed by healers, which may have worked 10-15 years ago, but I for one enjoy my decisions actually mattering beyond positioning. Which is usually figured out in the first week or 2 of a raid tier.

If a tank is self-sufficient enough to never need a healer. What's the point of having a tank/dps/healing as needed roles? Why not just have tank/4 dps that can just heal themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Well, seeing massive amount of damage to come out in a big pull - that is fun. But I find it fun to pull 3 packs in a +22 and not die. Versa is the way to go.

i don't get fun from numbers in wow. my fun is from playing my class. yes, my fun has been dwindling for years. borrowed power has made this worse through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    If a tank is self-sufficient enough to never need a healer. What's the point of having a tank/dps/healing as needed roles? Why not just have tank/4 dps that can just heal themselves?
    While there are merits for or against such a system, I think the bigger issue that has cropped up in recent WoW is that the tanks are not uniform in this regard. For example, DH/DK tanks in BfA have insanely better self-sustain than, for example, bears. When it comes to tank balance, which tank are you going to choose: a tank that's easy to heal and/or doesn't need healing/external help, or a tank that may need babysitting or more attention than other options? The obvious choice is always the tank that's easiest to heal or doesn't need external help, and therein lies the problem. Regardless of how one feels about if tanks can be mostly self-sufficient or not, all tanks need to be at the same level of self-sufficiency.

When it comes to tank fun, I've found Twightlight Dev an emotional rollercoaster. It's great when it procs, it sucks when it doesn't. Main issue is that it's random and lack any means to control you output, which can very greatly from pull to pull. Putting up great numbers if fun, but I find more satisfaction in consistency in my output/performance. Again, this is an issue that has been cropping up in WoW: an increasingly larger portion of our damage is from random procs or damage that's completely out of our control. At some point, you begin to question if it's really your skillful play that is giving you a good parse or great execution, or if it's just because you're really lucky.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    For us tanks who played through MoP, TD was just a fun throwback to those times, back when you could top DPS in a raid, in C-modes, didn't even need any external heals!

MoP was easily the best expansion for tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaWarlock View Post
    Oh no! You mean a tank will have to go back to being a tank rather than using an rng proc to do obscene damage?! The injustice!

Tanks are way too entitled, and want to do more dps than a dps class, while healing more than a healer and more survivability than anything.
    I never once said I thought tanks should out dps dps, and tank self healing is also known as mitigation.
    What is my reward as a tank of performing well? For having a clean rotation? .... the answer is nothing because the AM model is a joke and barely punishes you for doing completely wrong.

I see no problem with tanks doing 60-80% of a dps on a single target if they are the active tank (via procs or something, obviously vengeance missed the mark in MoP) and tank self healing doesnt mean anything as a solo stat unless they are also prevent as much dmg as the tanks the mitigate instead of self heal. So what about all of that is entitled? Wanting to have an impact on the raid like both other roles do?
    Last edited by Elbob; 2020-10-11 at 01:14 AM.