Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Perhaps because it is LITERALLY their job? How would yoy feel for not getting paid for your work.
    If you were paid for punting small children into a volcano would you still be proud of the work you're doing? There are better ways to monetize add-on creation that don't rely on pumping people's PCs full of malicious bloatware.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    That said, the fact that WowUp did get a CnD kind of makes this statement seem a bit disingenuous. This statement really seems to say that, "we won't CnD you unless you become popular enough to start skewing our precious engagement demographics."
    Apparently they did not get a cease and desist. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...esterday_from/
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

If you were paid for punting small children into a volcano would you still be proud of the work you're doing? There are better ways to monetize add-on creation that don't rely on pumping people's PCs full of malicious bloatware.
    Such as?

Also any proof of this "malicious bloatware" they're gonna use in the new tool?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    FYI the WeakAuras devs fully support Overwolf's decision.

People in this thread are upset, because they can't have something completely for free, so it is unlikely that any of those people will ever donate to any addon dev (or if they do it's just gonna be something so minimal just to prove a point).

Donations aren't usually a safe source of income. Addon devs on average probably get like 10-15$ per month from donations and Overwolf would just stop hosting a website like CurseForge altogether if they can't finance their website and pay their staff.
    Exactly. All the playerd complaining here think is "take take take" and likely have never donated a dime to any addon maker.

Such as?

Uhhh, have you ever used the OW overlay?

The app hasn't been released yet. You have any proof of any of your claims?

15+ Year Old Account
    Is the Curseforge app part of the overlay? They keep calling it a dedicated app but I have no experience with Overwolf to know if their "Dedicated apps" still require the main program/overlay to function.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Agagin, the app hasn't been released. Show us your proof it will have anything you claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Is the Curseforge app part of the overlay? They keep calling it a dedicated app but I have no experience with Overwolf to know if their "Dedicated apps" still require the main program/overlay to function.
    It sounds like this is a completely separate app from the main program.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Agagin, the app hasn't been released. Show us your proof it will have anything you claim.
    I mean, they're a company that is known for releasing apps chock full of ads from questionable advertisers, who's to say suddenly they're going to be a bastion of consumer-friendliness? I can't predict the future but if the past is any indication I'm not holding my breath.

Such as?

I don't think they are making a NEW tool from scratch, more likely they'll do like twitch and ADD a wow addon part to their existing tool.

I only remember Overwolf as an overlay for either teamspeak or mumble, don't remember which one, worked like ass and I uninstalled and used my vocal tool without overlay until we changed the vocal program we used at that time.
    it's been a loooong time since then, maybe they'll manage to make something better but I'll not hold my breath.

Ok so you're just another person who has some wild assumptions, but can't back it up with anything...

It's pretty funny that so far no one has actually explained what OW is actually doing that is so bad and are just throwing general answers around like you do.

Also you didn't answer how they should else make money and finance CurseForge.... this is another thing with this thread: Everyone is saying that there are better to monetise this stuff, but no one actually says what it is. It's not that obvious actually and answers like that just make me assume that you don't actually know either.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-10-11 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    I don't think they are making a NEW tool from scratch, more likely they'll do like twitch and ADD a wow addon part to their existing tool.

I only remember Overwolf as an overlay for either teamspeak or mumble, don't remember which one, worked like ass and I uninstalled and used my vocal tool without overlay until we changed the vocal program we used at that time.
    it's been a loooong time since then, maybe they'll manage to make something better but I'll not hold my breath.
    Except that isn't what they said they were doing. They basically talked like this was a separate app from their existing tool and that they would add things to it in the future.

Ok so you're just another person who has some wild assumptions, but can't back it up with anything...

It's pretty funny that so far no one has actually explained what OW is actually doing that is so bad and are just throwing general answers around like you do.
    ?!

If a car company makes car after car that's a total piece of shit then comes out with a new vehicle with the tagline, "this time it's different, trust us!" is it not reasonable to be a little bit skeptical?

The only thing that was brought up to try to suppprt their claims was that it once was flagged as Malware but it turned out to be a false positive.

I did try it ~7 years ago on my laptop. Ended up deleting it cuz it would turn my potato into a baked potato. It was also a buggy mess back then. But if I remember right, all it was at the time was a browser overlay along with a video overlay. Maybe some performance metrics, cant remember. Idk how it is nowadays.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

?!

If a car company makes car after car that's a total piece of shit then comes out with a new vehicle with the tagline, "this time it's different, trust us!" is it not reasonable to be a little bit skeptical?
    Sure that's a fair and correct point.

But this is also off-topic... This whole thread is about their decision to make 3rd party addon managers unable to scrape the addons from their servers/website, because it takes a serious hit on their revenue which they need to pay staff and keep up the website at all.

If let's say WowUp decides to host a website like CurseForge, they would also have to offer premium features and show ads... so you'd basically end up with the same thing.

Or do you have just an issue with Overwolf as a company and not with their actual decision on doing that?

My point anyways is that their recent decision on scraping is correct and fair. How their products are in general and whatnot doesn't matter to me. I personally am not going to use their app (as I don't use Twitch either)
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-10-11 at 09:05 PM.

They didn't back off at all and they don't have any reason to do so.

They have only clarified further what they really want, because a lot of assumptions were made against them that they never said.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI the WeakAuras devs fully support Overwolf's decision.

People in this thread are upset, because they can't have something completely for free, so it is unlikely that any of those people will ever donate to any addon dev (or if they do it's just gonna be something so minimal just to prove a point).

Donations aren't usually a safe source of income. Addon devs on average probably get like 10-15$ per month from donations and Overwolf would just stop hosting a website like CurseForge altogether if they can't finance their website and pay their staff.
    Some of the bigger addons have pretty large patreon followings. WeakAuras, for example, has 162 patrons for an alleged $543/mo. For such a popular addon, that's kind of low though (especially split 4 ways) - DBM has over 1,300 patrons (but doesn't publicize their income), which is apparently enough to pay the developer full time. I cna't imagine CurseForge pays these devs anywhere near that much in ad share revenue.

I totally support whatever the addon authors want to do. They're the ones driving the great addon community this game has always had. Overwolf certainly won't kill it - don't forget that Curse used to charge a subscription just to click update-all in their client.

Sure that's a fair and correct point.

But this is also off-topic... This whole thread is about their decision to make 3rd party addon managers unable to scrape the addons from their servers/website, because it takes a serious hit on their revenue which they need to pay staff and keep up the website at all.

If let's say WowUp decides to host a website like CurseForge, they would also have to offer premium features and show ads... so you'd basically end up with the same thing.

Or do you have just an issue with Overwolf as a company and not with their actual decision on doing that?
    If there were more than one website that most add-ons were stored, I'd have no problem with OW privatizing their API. The issue is that there isn't an alternative and this seems, to me, like a power move on OW's part to keep their tool the only relevant option for players to manage their add-ons. They're also doing this under the guise of "protecting content creators" when this really seems, again, to me, like a move to protect their own interests. Monopolization is a bad thing in any industry and I don't like having a large corporation issuing statements which seem like blatant double talk try to manipulate people into supporting their position. It's good that OW is seemingly backing off for now but this entire debate seems to be predicated on the perceived "right" for add-on developers to get paid for work which Blizzard's own TOS prohibits.

Am i the only 1 who has never even heard about Overwolf? Tho, they do seem like extremely shady "company".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    https://trello.com/b/Slaz6xBq/curseforge-roadmap

It seems to be a standalone app just like curse used prior to Amazon/Twitch.