Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Well, of course. The problem is that it doesn't take long to actually finish any new content and anyone more than a halfwit understands this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    It always seems like people have somewhere better to be these days.
    That's why the first couple of weeks in Classic were worth briefly coming back to WoW for. Most players hadn't hit the slowdown levels and relapsed into the checklist mentality. People were spending evenings fooling around in world PVP instead of leveling. Just bouncing off each other, feeding social energy and spontaneity that MMOs were made for. It was glorious.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    It's a problem if you don't. Why are you talking about if you do play constantly? This topic has nothing to do with people who consume literally all of the content all the time. That's what's being pointed out as the issue, that if you don't do this, you miss out on most of the content of an expansion. Because it gets removed at the end.
    But it isn't. Of course you will miss stuff if you don't play the game. Blizzard can't design around that or the game would never progress. I have never said if you play constantly. Playing within the two year cycle of an expansion does not equal constantly playing. Nothing I said was about people that consume all content all the time. You keep arguing a point that was never made in order to rant about something that is impossible to design for.

You don't miss out on any content. Very few things are permanently removed. You can go back and do old content if you want to. You can go back and do old raids. You are choosing not to. Most of the content of an expansion does not get removed at the end of the expansion. If you aren't even going to stick to facts then why are you even discussing this?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

As many people have mentioned, yes there were chores and efficient ways to complete them back in the very beginning of WoW. This is nothing new. What has changed is that the game is now designed as a hodgepodge of streamlined interactable systems which have all been made as convenient as possible and had all the rough edges milled down so that you can move between them as seamlessly as possible. The effect of this is to make just about everything you do in the game feel like a gigantic waste of time, like waiting for a bus to arrive at a bus stop. It really lays bare the annoying, chorelike, treadmill nature of MMOs instead of disguising them under a layer of artifice.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycutie View Post
    That's essentially the problem with current WoW.

It has gone from exploration and immersion in a huge fantasy RPG world to "I have this list of tasks, how can I get them done as fast and as efficiently as possible".

If WoW ever wants to be great again, it needs to move away from tasks and chores, away from daily and weekly things to do and rerunning the same content over and over again, and towards creating more unique content that is supposed to be done once for the mere fun of it.
    It's been this way almost as long as I've been playing it. It's almost as if there's a loud, vocal subset of players who believe that playing the game is actually painful, and minimizing exposure to it leads to the best experience.

These folks are how Blizzard successfully sell a path to avoid 95% of the game's content.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    They should have axed the date as soon as Covid hit, but like with most companies they feel like they can work their way out of a hole.
    Uhh Blizzard didn't announce the date until 5 months after COVID-19 hit. You can't axe something that didn't exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's been this way almost as long as I've been playing it. It's almost as if there's a loud, vocal subset of players who believe that playing the game is actually painful, and minimizing exposure to it leads to the best experience.

These folks are how Blizzard successfully sell a path to avoid 95% of the game's content.
    I've come to realize after 13 years that those players are often called "Raiders". Some of the most vocal complainers I've ever seen, just after pvp players.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    "exploration and immersion"

That part is dead the moment you are finished with leveling. And completly obliterated the moment you can fly.

Exploration was only really there in classic. No one knew what to do and took months to get to max level.

Immersion is highly!! depended on who you are asking. I was never immersed in wow. Because you have zero influence on the world. YOu have a predestined path and it has always been that way.

Eso and Swtor had more immersion ebcuas ethe whole campaign was just for you and no one else.
    Immersion and MMO mechanic are contradictory most of the time.

Also you can the stuff just once and be done with it... who forces you to do anything more than that?
    I like having stuff to do in an MMo i pay 14 €a month. It would not be worth the money if i would be done with everything by logging in once a week for 2 hours.
    And most of this is fun for many people. I like dailys. I like raiding and dungeons (highly repetetive, even more than dailies)

TLDR: This is highly subjective and what you describe hasn't been wow since BC
    hm not really - it was there in every expansion. just on different level then in classic

for a lot of people WoW was their first mmorpg ever - and first time they got in touch with virtual worlds.

but like everything in time it looses its appeal

wow is old game. playerbase got old

still when new expansion comes people have those few days to "Explore"

most people dont rush to endgame like madmen - they dont rush leveling their mains.

its only hardcore raiders who do that.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    hm not really - it was there in every expansion. just on different level then in classic

for a lot of people WoW was their first mmorpg ever - and first time they got in touch with virtual worlds.

but like everything in time it looses its appeal

wow is old game. playerbase got old

still when new expansion comes people have those few days to "Explore"

most people dont rush to endgame like madmen - they dont rush leveling their mains.

its only hardcore raiders who do that.
    First: It is not only hardcore raiders who do that. Finding someone who actually reads every quest text is like finding a unicorn. If they would voice it it would be so much better... still wondering why they don't. Even small MMOs can do it.
    Second: I agree. The exploration at the beginning of every expansion is good for a few days. Also the reason why i am one of those hated people aparantly who is so stupid to take a few days off every few years at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    "exploration and immersion"

That part is dead the moment you are finished with leveling. And completly obliterated the moment you can fly.
    i argue that flying does not obliterate this. im enjoying the world alot more when freely flying then on the ground perfectly manouvering between mobs because im done with the quest and dont want to stay a second longer then i have to

Quote Originally Posted by Yorimar View Post
    i argue that flying does not obliterate this. im enjoying the world alot more when freely flying then on the ground perfectly manouvering between mobs because im done with the quest and dont want to stay a second longer then i have to
    While afoot i miss pieces of the world sometimes and come to them later again.
    With flying i see everything in 2 minutes.

I don't want to get rid of it, mind you. I got way to used to it and if i want to explore worlds i play different games... with bigger worlds. Say... Skyrim. I can walk there for hours and find new stuff everytime. With flying Skyrim would be a lot less interesting^^

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many folks download that RP addon that animates the quest text? Probably not as many as check the Azeroth Auto Pilot option box "accept and turn in quests automatically". I tend to wander a bit and do read quest text on the first toon or two....but not by the time I am doing number 26 to max level. If I had a "Main" then I might take things a bit slower, but I am certainly guilty of speeding through my content of choice since I have no main character. It's just a freight train of toons gearing to a chosen level. Maybe SL won't have as many speed shortcuts (flying, etc..) , don't know.

Stay safe and have fun!

5+ Year Old Account
    I just want to run M+ and raids with guildies/RL friends, with an occasional BG or Arena match in between. I don't want to grind Artifact/Azerite/Anima Memepower, nor grind cloak/essences/pathfinder or any of the BS Blizzard has been shoving down our throats since WoD. BC/WotLK were almost perfect in that regard, they just lacked M+.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

2010 called and wants its complaint threads back.

I still think they should go back to the "living, breathing world" model, instead of the "theme park" model they currently use.

It's just a better experience for an MMO feeling like you're interacting with a living world, rather than experiencing attractions at a theme park.

Not that the first 3 games were perfect by any means or that they particularly did a great job at it, but that was definitely something I liked before they changed it in Cata, which is weirdly (or is it?) the first expansion they fully made under the Activision umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I still think they should go back to the "living, breathing world" model, .
    where would that have been?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    My gosh, these "generation haters". Go into the woods and enjoy your 1 out of 10 infant mortality rate.

The game has changed. Grown-ups play classic, and they get just as mad, and optimize just as hard as those iphone kiddos.
    Just watch the BWL speed run of some guild, where the raid leader calls the rogues "Fucking yellows". Classic is toxic and overoptimized, and that is not only due to the 15 year old iphone kiddos my friend.
    Exactly! Just look at the rush to clear all raiding content on the same day it launches...wasn't orchestrated by a bunch of 15 year olds.

People are just looking for excuses, they don't want to admit the players have changed so they blame the game...but be it Classic or Retail, players still play it the same...they go charging head first like a rhino to clear it as fast as possible.