Thread: The Boys

Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Well ya but that’s likely all psychosomatic and he could take it off if he got past that as there’s no real magic or curses or any thing in the setting.
    That is why I wrote "curse". He's likely full of shit. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    not gonna lie, the reveal of the head popper really...... blew my mind!
    Tell me the pun was intended.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No one interested in the entertainment business would ask Chace Crawford to cover his face. They made the right call on this version of The Deep.
    They're not even the same character really. Ennis never took the character seriously and he almost never appears. Its one area where the show is better than the comic.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they go where I think they are going to go with this- that kid is already fucked beyond repair. And it will get worse...
    Yeah, I can see what you mean, I thought that the whole point of getting him away from Homelander was about giving him a chance. Even as much as it was deserved IMO, I am guessing that image is going to be burned in his mind for a very long time without therapy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artale View Post
    That's The Deep in the comics. Can't take off his diving helmet. In that white outfit it makes him look like a member of the KKK.
    Hahaha yeah that is what I thought, but then I wondered why it was only one.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Iflash View Post
    Wait, you are almost 7 episodes into the season and are only now realizing there's politics in the show? They literally had the Nazi character talk about the "war for the culture" and they show her spreading misinformation to a gullible base in order to cover up the stuff Homelander did. It's not really "sudden".
    Haha, i was thinking the same thing. It was so obvious to me a, there are a lot of allusions to our RL all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely loved Stormfront being the personification of alt right and then get rejected wholesale at the end. They even had her bust out the term white genocide with a straight face. Not sure if the character is a white supremacist in the comics but even the name Stormfront is so on the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Absolutely loved Stormfront being the personification of alt right and then get rejected wholesale at the end. They even had her bust out the term white genocide with a straight face. Not sure if the character is a white supremacist in the comics but even the name Stormfront is so on the nose.
    In the comic Stormfront is an honest to god Nazi, born in the early 30's. Came to the US as part of operation paperclip, was the base genetics for Homelander.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    In the comic Stormfront is an honest to god Nazi, born in the early 30's. Came to the US as part of operation paperclip, was the base genetics for Homelander.
    Garth Ennis makes fun of superheroes sometimes.

In the comics, The Deep is like a deep-sea diver. If I recall correctly, Starlight performs oral sex on Homeland, Noir, and Lamplighter when she joins The Seven.
    In the comics it was Homelander, Noir, and A-Train, not Lamplighter.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    From what I see so far, they made a ton of right decisions with this TV series (in regards of diverting from the comics)
    Totally agree. The series has a lot more depth and complexity to it than the comic- which was all plot at times in place of characterization.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    They're not even the same character really. Ennis never took the character seriously and he almost never appears. Its one area where the show is better than the comic.
    Absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    In the comics it was Homelander, Noir, and A-Train, not Lamplighter.
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the correction. Its been a long time. I read this in issues.

If you didnt know there is a 6 issue mini-series of The Boys called Dear Becky set some 10+ years after the main comic ended.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    yeah I hate what The Deep did but he's an interesting character and it'll be interesting to see what direction he goes in next season, as well as how it effects his friendship with A-Train... also going to be interesting to see what happens with Train too, it's likely Homelander would be pissed if he knew who outed his girlfriend
    The Deep is exactly how I would think Aquaman would feel if Justice League was in any way realistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's still a day to get some of the comics from Humble Bundle.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Am I the only one who thought the beatdown had one eye on Endgame, saying "this is how you do the whole female empowerment thing"?

Like with Endgame, I won't lie, I cringed a little. It was awesome, but cringy, well meaning but I kind of felt that it was patting the female audience on the head a little. This though, I was like "fuck yes!", it felt much more organic.
    Eh to me I thought it was the opposite. And one of the few scenes in the whole series that made zippo sense, at all - unless your whole point was to reduce women to 5 year olds on a playground.

The start of the fight when they are using some powers on each other I was like - YEA! KICK HER A!!. This is gonna be good!

And then the're just... hitting and kicking her on the ground? WTF is that suppose to do? At all? All these superheroes are fighting and all they can do is - kick at her in a circle on the ground? Really? How incompetent and ineffectual can you possibly get? Not even supe-kicks on the ground shooting her around like a pinball - which would have at least made sense given the power levels of the people we're dealing with.

Would only have been more stupid and offensive if they had resorted to hair pulling instead. But "empowerment?" Not at all.

That scene just doesn't work for me, at all. There's no reason why any Superhero fighting another Superhero - much less 3 on 1 - that they all stop using powers and are reduced to kicking someone in the fetal position on the ground. Someone who won't be affected, at all, by their punching and kicking. They know that doesn't hurt her (?!) so wth? They could have actually damaged her and instead they were useless.

I mean maybe the point is to say they are all acting like children in a playground fight? Maybe they were just killing some time between the two scenes - because it was certainly pointless otherwise. Stormfront takes off - unharmed - to go have the actual plot point with Ryan et. al. off in the woods. Surely the point of the scene was't to show how stupid and ineffectual female superheros are (?).

I just don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Its ok, we are all feminists. We all have mothers. You dont hate your mother do you?
    Makes no sense to me how three super-power women kicking one on the ground - instead of doing anything with the powers they actually have that would hurt her - is empowering or "feminist". At all.

"All female" Superhero fight - and that's the best they could do for them? Really?

And this is empowering?! How?

I'm so confused. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk if there is a connection or not, maybe it was a subtle jab at Marvel.

Regardless, it was an awesome fight scene, one people watch and think “Marvel, take some fucking notes”. Cause let’s be honest, girl fights are awesome, and we notice when they’re done poorly.
    100% Disagree.

It started out awesome. But it ended poorly. All 3 superhero females losing their intelligence and being entirely ineffective at hurting Stormfront in any way at all. Instead they de-volve to a bunch of 5 year olds kicking someone in the dirt, until she leaves.

How is any of that 'awesome.' NOW - IF they had been normal humans; absolutely awesome. But the fact that they are superheros leaves me feeling we were all insulted. (not 'we' as in females, but 'we' as in the viewing audience.)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Eh to me I thought it was the opposite. And one of the few scenes in the whole series that made zippo sense, at all - unless your whole point was to reduce women to 5 year olds on a playground.

The start of the fight when they are using some powers on each other I was like - YEA! KICK HER A!!. This is gonna be good!

And then the're just... hitting and kicking her on the ground? WTF is that suppose to do? At all? All these superheroes are fighting and all they can do is - kick at her in a circle on the ground? Really? How incompetent and ineffectual can you possibly get? Not even supe-kicks on the ground shooting her around like a pinball - which would have at least made sense given the power levels of the people we're dealing with.

Would only have been more stupid and offensive if they had resorted to hair pulling instead. But "empowerment?" Not at all.

That scene just doesn't work for me, at all. There's no reason why any Superhero fighting another Superhero - much less 3 on 1 - that they all stop using powers and are reduced to kicking someone in the fetal position on the ground. Someone who won't be affected, at all, by their punching and kicking. They know that doesn't hurt her (?!) so wth? They could have actually damaged her and instead they were useless.

I mean maybe the point is to say they are all acting like children in a playground fight? Maybe they were just killing some time between the two scenes - because it was certainly pointless otherwise. Stormfront takes off - unharmed - to go have the actual plot point with Ryan et. al. off in the woods. Surely the point of the scene was't to show how stupid and ineffectual female superheros are (?).

I just don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes no sense to me how three super-power women kicking one on the ground - instead of doing anything with the powers they actually have that would hurt her - is empowering or "feminist". At all.

"All female" Superhero fight - and that's the best they could do for them? Really?

And this is empowering?! How?

I'm so confused. lol.
    I guess people have forgotten episode 1 already where vought were making an all female movie that looked like infinity War. Had maeve/star light/stromfront all posing together arms crossed.

"girls get it done". They were directly taking the piss out of how woman are represented in modern films. The over the top cheesy empowering moments. Hell they even had a nick fury/agent coulston type character handing over a beacon like the one that paged cap marvel in infinity War. Sexism and how woman are represented is a major theme for the TV show boys like star lights costume for example
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2020-10-13 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of the women kicking Stormfronts’ ass, only Starlight has (spell) powers, and as the scene showed, it only knocked Stormfront back a ways—it was basically useless. Maeve is strong and uses hand-to-combat, as does The Female, since her only other power is health regeneration.

So, I’m not sure why you think they should have used their powers. And the fight was real, which is why people appreciated it so much. That’s how real people fight, something Marvel doesn’t seem to understand, and instead wants go in a similar direction that you want... Aka: fan service and fake, over-the-top interactions.

”Beat that Nazi bitch’s ass!” went exactly as it should have.
    The entire point of that scene is to be bookended against the "Girls get it done" PR malarkey in the early episodes, where everything's image-based. This beatdown wasn't about looking flashy for the cameras. It was about pounding a Nazi into the dirt in the most time-effective manner possible, and using teamwork to keep her rattled as you do it. If they'd made it a big flashy special-effects bonanza with Starlight firing light blasts all over and Maeve and The Female doing super-athletic triple-backflip kicks, it would have been exactly what the show started out in those early episodes mocking.

People who wanted that big Endgame style power-fight aren't the audience this show is aimed at. They're the audience this show is mocking, for desiring empty spectacle over meaningful action.

They were doing fine until Stormfront bolted, and none of the three can fly, so there wasn't a hell of a lot they could do at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s exactly what I was saying...
    Sorry, I was agreeing with you and expanding on your point. I may have no made that clear enough.

Maybe spoilers in the vid.

Zero budget = empowerment

Also the Supes are not really trained in hand to hand combat, most of them are lazy and rely on their powers instead.