Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    FFXIV Live Letter 60
    • Patch 5.4 aiming for early December.
    Think I know when we should be expecting Shadowlands.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    What I don't like with the asthetic is how badly it clashes with the rest of Norvrandt. The rest of the world is vibrant and colourful, and the times where it's dingy and washed out are intentional as part of the story. The Nier raids on the other hand take part in either grimey, foggy industrial complexes or sci-fi facilities. It doesn't fit with the established tone and setting of the rest of the world.
    I'd bet that this is intentional. I'm just not understanding why this is a big deal.

In terms of World Building, the idea of underground robots fighting a secret war that has gone unnoticed throughout the entire history of the world is more than a little bit of a stretch. I get that the First has had more urgent issues with Sin Eaters, but surely at least one of those books in that huge library they have in the Crystarium mentions them? Given how the raids are physically located under a Dwarven mine, in an area with hotly contested mines, you have to wonder why it took so long to discover it.
    Possibly. I never got the sense that it was a centuries long war, it waslike it was something that happened a long time ago, went dormant for a long time and only recently got started back up again for some reason.

It begs serious questions like, "What were the robots doing during the flood of light?", "Is this conflict also happening on the First?" and "Why haven't the Ascians taken notice and turned them towards their own ends?". None of it really fits with the established world. I get that it's intended to be it's own self contained narative, but so were the other 24 man raids and they felt like an organic extension of Eorzea.
    Crystal Tower and Rabanastre are heavily integrated into the lore of FFXIV, so I agree with this. The Void Ark series is also pretty integrated in the lore, but to me that felt just as disconnected from the world as this does because it has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than the raid.

While I get where you're coming from, I'm just taking this as exactly what it seems they intend it to be which is a cameo appearance of Nier in the game with a cursory attachment to the world, only enough to make it not completely disconnected.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I'm just fine with it being as disconnected and foreign as it is.

The fact that the Copied Factory is an industrial complex in a sky that's also completely underground just completely throws me. Given the distance you fall, the pressure alone should be fatal long before you ever get to the combat. Also how did they manage to get two freaking spaceships underground in the Puppets Bunker?

Now I get that some suspension of disbelief is expected when you pick up any video game, but when there are just so many jarring exceptions to the established setup I can't help but notice them.
    All fine, I suppose, but I really stopped taking anything a video game throws at me seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, turning the effects of others down is pretty much mandatory in raid content. You need to see the movement of the boss for some mechanics in savage as well.

I think many have a problem with the mechanics, because they are used to watching the UI and not the world. In WoW I almost exclusively played according to my UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'd bet that this is intentional. I'm just not understanding why this is a big deal.

Possibly. I never got the sense that it was a centuries long war, it waslike it was something that happened a long time ago, went dormant for a long time and only recently got started back up again for some reason.

Crystal Tower and Rabanastre are heavily integrated into the lore of FFXIV, so I agree with this. The Void Ark series is also pretty integrated in the lore, but to me that felt just as disconnected from the world as this does because it has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than the raid.

While I get where you're coming from, I'm just taking this as exactly what it seems they intend it to be which is a cameo appearance of Nier in the game with a cursory attachment to the world, only enough to make it not completely disconnected.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I'm just fine with it being as disconnected and foreign as it is.

All fine, I suppose, but I really stopped taking anything a video game throws at me seriously.
    Yoshi could just say 'they fell from space, forming mount gulg and after it was lifted into the air they were freed' or something and nobody would bat an eye.

I'm hoping to upgrade my house from a small to a mansion, or at least a medium and I'm already feeling anxious about patch night tonight. I did have a question, though. If my current house's closet is already nearly full, would I have to return some housing items to my inventory to buy a new one? I've never upgraded before and don't know if everything gets dumped into the storage closet or if I'll be locked out form upgrading until I make enough space.

Well Square Enix has copyrighted the term "Forspoken" which has people going crazy since this follows the naming trend, in this case to Forspoke is to enchant or ensnare someone with a glamour or magic in english but in old scottish means "to bewitch". With Matoya being a focus and getting a dungeon in the next major content update it has people expecting its the next expansion name and theres some witchery afoot.

Which thinking back wasn't matoyas broomsticks not working the first hint of "the sound from below" we got?

-also secondary meaning is "to predict or foresee" and the next patch is called "Futures Rewritten", i wonder if its going to turn out the rejoining and black rose weren't the soul reason for the events that lead to the Crystal Tower appearing in Norvrandt?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2020-10-12 at 09:37 PM.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next expansion is based around Sharlayan. There's been a lot of hints pointing towards such and as much as I would've liked to have seen a Garlemald focused expansion, I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the next expansion is based around Sharlayan. There's been a lot of hints pointing towards such and as much as I would've liked to have seen a Garlemald focused expansion, I just don't see it happening.
    Unless they pull another Stormblood and try to serve two masters and balance two locations and storylines again. Which i hope they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Unless they pull another Stormblood and try to serve two masters and balance two locations and storylines again. Which i hope they don't.
    They have consistenly been serving two storylines at once though. The first stuff and the Garlemald stuff. They just didnt make half the zones of ShB in the source this time.
    So, i guess that is the part you want.

I personally had no problem with SB though. SB and ShB are my favorite xpacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Same here. We'll probably go to Sharlayan, consulting the other scientists trying to find a way to fix the Source of the Sound. There is also some character stuff that can be done, such as finally meeting the Leveilleur family, or some tie in with Louisox stuff.

I expect we will go to Garlemald, but it will probably be more like an Ala Mhigo thing where it's mostly a dungeon as you try to hunt down Zenos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    They have consistenly been serving two storylines at once though. The first stuff and the Garlemald stuff. They just didnt make half the zones of ShB in the source this time.
    So, i guess that is the part you want.

I personally had no problem with SB though. SB and ShB are my favorite xpacs.
    Heavensward was also split. In the base game, half of your time was spent dealing with the Ishgard plot, the other half was spent dealing with Ul'dah and the Scions and Garlemald. In the patches, half of your time was spent dealing with Ishgard, and the other half spent on the main story of the Scions and the Ascians and the WoDs.

Same could be said for ARR. Half of your time was spent dealing with Primals and the Scions and the Ascians, the other half was spent dealing with Ul'dah.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing half of the expansion will be spent with the Scions and the Sharlayans trying to find a fix for the Sound before the end of the world hits, while the other half is spent dealing with Garlemald and Zenos.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'm guessing half of the expansion will be spent with the Scions and the Sharlayans trying to find a fix for the Sound before the end of the world hits, while the other half is spent dealing with Garlemald and Zenos.
    Considering 'Yojimbo' turned out to be just gregg and X is the only game we haven't got a major pull from i would not be surprised to see the sound turn out to be an analogue to Sin where you can't really kill it without someone involved becoming the next incarnation of it. Sure would put the breaks on "yet another noble self sacrifice" being the go to problem solver if that doesn't actually solve the problem this time around.

I always get thrown off by patch day...

Misjudged the launch time by an hour. Better to be early than late, though, I guess.

I already own a personal house and a FC house so I won't be too upset if I can't upgrade the latter. My personal I'm keeping where it is - a medium in Mist right on the edge of the beach. My FC house is just a small plot in Lavender Beds, though. I'd like to upgrade that to a medium or large.

10+ Year Old Account
    thought about relocating my house but having to re-decorate everything... naaah.

Well, that worked out...

I logged on after only ten other people in the queue before me. Picked out a random ward in Lavender Beds...ran to the first large plot that I saw and...upgraded my FC's small plot to a large one!

Grats!

I hit Play as soon as the button turned green but then my game crashed at loading. By the time I went through all the steps to relaunch everything I was 1000+ in queue. Didn't get in until 30 mins after and everything was gone. Good luck to those that got something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a house...but I unknowingly fucked over others...decided I wanted an different plot after buying one...no one was around still, so I went up and switched to the one next to me. Didn’t know it would start a lockout timer on the original plot. Honestly I feel awful, there’s a large group of people now camping the original plot and /shout and the official forums are filled with people complaining about this. Fuuuuck

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said it before and it bears repeating here. There is no greater "shelf moment" in gaming today than attempting to get a house in FFXIV.

didn't realize they uped the base price on houses. was short around 100k for the cheapest house due to auctions not selling.
    Guess I'll start saving up for when Ishgard is complete/released. If not then. Then I give up.

They should just convert all apartments to small housing plots.

Apartments are tooo small.

They also need to re-enable housing demolish.
    Last edited by Novaice; 2020-10-13 at 02:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    They also need to re-enable housing demolish.
    Agreed. It made sense when COVID first began, but now it's just hindering active players from house buying.

Bozja is out!

Time to go to war!

Magitek Vietnam!

- - - Updated - - -

Epic FFXII boss music starts playing
    Me: "Hell yeah it's time to kill some Imperials!"
    Queues for engagement
    Queue pops, ports in

Truly a momentous adversary worthy of epic FFXII boss music

oh my gosh half of us died at the end

Man, those 1v1s against the enemy general are going to be Mage Tower levels of insane, aren't they?
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-10-13 at 04:24 PM.