Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    You're using synonyms to refer to two different phenomena, both are examples of either lag or latency but the difference in terminology is of your own choosing. Neither lag nor latency specifically refer to either, they both essentially just mean a delay between an input and an output.

You could argue one is more commonly used to refer to one thing over another for sure but they are still synonymous.

I decided to look it up between my first post and this one.
    Nope. Give this article a read:

https://www.ghostgb.co.uk/ping-vs-latency-vs-jitter/

Latency and lag aren't quite the same thing even though the result will look the same to the user, and one can cause the other. Latency deals with packet information. It's a backend phenomenon. Lag is visual. Lag is what the user sees and experiences. High latency can cause lag, but so can other things.

For example, if the user is having a network connection issue, he might experience high latency. This can create visual lag. But it would be describing something causing the other, not just a word that is interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOculus View Post
    60 FPS is perfectly playable.
    144 FPS and above is just pointless bragging
    lol, 60 I have played ad sub 40 FPS my entire time gaming. usually less than 25 in raids.

Opera is a really good browser.

Can we please stop with this ridiculous high refresh rate argument? I'm pretty sure that all the people that are saying that "human eye cannot percieve more than 30 FPS" have just never tried high refresh rate monitors before.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    i will start

Chrome is better than Firefox
    Well, Duh. I refuse to use Firefox since I had a Cunt of a college Professor that forced us to use it because supposedly a Woman created it. If you wanted to get under her skin just call her by Ms. whatever the hell her name was.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the world was much better off Before the Internet and cell Phones.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Music players moving over to smart phones is something I don't like, like how they discontinued the Ipod Nano.

Luckily Sony still makes the Walkman, need to pick that up. I like discrete music players with hardware controls. Being able to control the music without looking at anything or reaching into your pockets is invaluable to me.
    I still have an Ipod Nano that works lol. Still charges too, which is good since the battery really drains

OT: Having to pay monthly for music (Apple music) is dumb
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

The concept of toiletpaper is fucking disgusting, and in x amount of years, when showertoilets have become so advanced that toiletpaper becomes useless, our descendants will look back at us as a bunch of primitive barbarians for using toiletpaper this long.

The iPad (and the same product from different producers) is the most useless invention of all time. Between phones and laptops, the "pads" have zero practical use except for being another product to throw money at.

Touchscreens for phones are still quite shit, and have a long way to go before they become objectively better than the keyboard of 2000s era phones.

Smartphones catching on back in 2008 (cba looking up the actual date of the gen1 phones), is still a huge miracle, considering how bad the first generations of smartphones were in comparison to the "regular" phones of the same era.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Good one for you arguing the benefits of high fps, Codemasters developing their next Dirt game to run at 120fps on next gen consoles because in their play testing scenarios the players noticed a big improvement in gameplay (discussed in other interviews and articles). And in the sim racing space high fps has long been seen as a huge benefit, high end simulators thrive to reduce latency to the bare minimum.

Digital Foundry analyses the game and discuss the benefits here. It's not a subjective point of view as soon as you consider competitive play.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

People should be much more paranoid about their personal information online (yes, I realize that it's not really an unpopular opinion here, but it certainly is out in the "real world").
    Last edited by Echeyakee; 2020-10-12 at 10:44 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I can do that just fine. My headset has the audio controls on it (i use an LG Tone) Also, if i wanted to, i could simply tell Google to do it; Assistant can change tracks and control the volume. Most of the included earbuds that ive had come with phones in the last 6+ years have had in-line controls.

Not that i entirely disagree with this. Its convenient in that i dont have to carry around more devices, but dedicated players like the Nano had features that phones dont, where the software players tend to just sorta suck.

Extension of this: i hate that owning your music has become a thing no one does. Except me i guess. Streaming is all well and good but when in a congested area (i frequently work at Conventions (not during the Pandemic obv.) where there are 50-100,000 attendees. Yeah, you might have a bajillion bars but with all those people on the towers, you effectively have no data. I like to actually be able to still have music. and dedicated players were good at that. You can still do it on phones (i have an Android app that just scans my Mac for the iTunes folder and imports everything) but it isnt as convenient.

And i also go plenty of places with no service, have a power outtage, or where streaming is just a PITA.

I own everything i listen to even remotely frequently and sub to precisely not a single streaming service. Artists get more when you buy anyway, particularly if you buy FROM their site if you can.
    You still have to pay more for a phone. It's different for me because I don't intend on using the smart phone, so everything else is meaningless. When I pay for a dedicated music player it's because I want just music. The Nano had other junk, but it was kept at a minimum, non intrusive. I use headphones with hardware controls also, I know of their existence.

Yeah I don't want to stream music either, hence, my post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    People should be much more paranoid about their personal information online (yes, I realize that it's not really an unpopular opinion here, but it certainly is out in the "real world").
    Meh, nothing can be done with my data that will negatively interfere with my lifestyle anyway, so idc.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Meh, nothing can be done with my data that will negatively interfere with my lifestyle anyway, so idc.
    A single photo or a post from your home with a geotag and your address is public. You post a photo of your dog and the dogtag has your phone? It's now public. You tell everyone about your new awesome desk from Greg's Amazing Furniture? It's a matter of a single phone call to get your address.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    How is high fps used for bragging? Who are you bragging to when you're in your bedroom playing games, the dog? What a mental opinion to have.
    Someone hasn't heard of the internet. People who would brag about this sort of thing would eventually find their way to communities that foster this. It's just like saying "who would you brag to about how fast your car is? The people in the car?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

15+ Year Old Account
    Stop derailing the thread with fps arguments, if you want to go back and forth for 4 pages start your own thread. Can a mod clean this up please.

OT: I miss the days when we only had landlines, now everyone expects you to get back to them right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Social media makes us more stupid as a race as a whole.
    It definitely feels that way.

Also, all the RBG lighting on RAM and video cards and such is fucking pointless. Why would I want some giant, rainbow-colored monstrosity glaring in the corner of my eye while I'm trying to game?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Not everthing needs RGB lights.
    The Mundane and The Magic
    Yeah, now, well, the thing about the old days: they the old days. -Slim Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Why, after 10 years of it not happening? What is going to change?

Honest question, cause while i'm interested in VR, it's always been such a fringe thing with very few killer apps.
    I'm guessing accessibility through price and quality?

You know what other innovations that wasn't instant hits owned by everybody?

Almost every single one of them.

I still can't afford my own jet suit, they have existed for a while now, so that must mean nobody likes the idea of flying, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    Stop derailing the thread with fps arguments, if you want to go back and forth for 4 pages start your own thread
    I tried man, i tried.

OT: I miss the days when we only had landlines, now everyone expects you to get back to them right away.
    Right? I cant stand that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    A single photo or a post from your home with a geotag and your address is public. You post a photo of your dog and the dogtag has your phone? It's now public. You tell everyone about your new awesome desk from Greg's Amazing Furniture? It's a matter of a single phone call to get your address.
    Sure, i dont think hes challenging that. I think hes saying he doesnt care and someone having that info doesnt concern him.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Someone hasn't heard of the internet. People who would brag about this sort of thing would eventually find their way to communities that foster this. It's just like saying "who would you brag to about how fast your car is? The people in the car?"
    If you're a racing driver and you buy a racing car you're certainly not buying it to brag, you're buying it to race and (hopefully) win. Just like gamers who buy fast computers and high FPS display setups for their gaming. You don't get a 144hz monitor to brag on the internet about your monitor, you get a 144hz monitor to brag on the internet about all the noobs you pwned.

High fps gives a competitive advantage in (some) games, and it improves the visual/gameplay experience pretty much universally. You gain nothing from bragging about this on the internet, most people do not even post on internet forums or reddit to begin with. The whole notion that this is a reason to buy components that support high fps is absurd.

But you definitely benefit as a competitive gamer from having high fps. The reason you buy such equipment is to benefit from and/or enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    Stop derailing the thread with fps arguments, if you want to go back and forth for 4 pages start your own thread. Can a mod clean this up please..
    "Please state your opinion and leave without discussing anything with anyone" "God mods can you please clean up this thread, people are having a discussion!!"
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2020-10-13 at 03:58 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    ....No... just horribly raised people ruining things.
    and those people were all raised on tech and social media