Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Return of the obra dinn causes me sickness beyond after some time playing
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Aren't all graphics made up by pixels? Kek

On topic, I think it comes down to how pixel art graphics are used, Shovel Knight makes me want to vomit for instance, but something like Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery or Kingdom New Lands look great.
    Actually no - there are different kinds of graphics. Vector graphics is an example

I dont know if its ever been used for gaming tho
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

There seems to be the same misconception thrown around. Pixel graphics != 2D. Yes, majority of them are in 2D, but there are exceptions. And obviously not all 2D games have pixel graphics. The argument that it's too expensive to indies to do proper graphics so they go with pixel style is bollocks.

Super meat boy is a prime example of a game made by just 2 blokes, self published and with no investments. And look at that, not only it looked good, but also does so 10 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    There seems to be the same misconception thrown around. Pixel graphics != 2D. Yes, majority of them are in 2D, but there are exceptions. And obviously not all 2D games have pixel graphics. The argument that it's too expensive to indies to do proper graphics so they go with pixel style is bollocks.

Super meat boy is a prime example of a game made by just 2 blokes, self published and with no investments. And look at that, not only it looked good, but also does so 10 years later.
    What?

Pixel graphics(the way you use it) isnt an actual term. Pixel graphics refer to graphics made by pixels as opposed to vector graphics

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Best case scenario is I'm going to polarize the community, worst-case scenario turn you all against me

Anyway, anyone else feeling really tired of the pixel and 1990-2010 visual type games?
    It seems to be "the shit" in the past 3-4 years. Indie game companies pushing those pixelated games and people swallowing them as if it's the year 1995.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think they are bad games. But I'm tired of wanting to play something cool but it looks like shit.
    It's almost 2021, I don't want to play games that look like crap.
    There are options of course, but my favorite genres, MMORPG and top-down RPGs are the ones that are hit most.

This is why I support games like Wolcen and New World.
    Wolcen is.... lacking, to say the least, compared to other options. But you can't deny the game looks absolutely fantastic for an ARPG game.
    New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release. But it looks miles better than other MMORPGs. Sorry WoW, you look good for a 15-year-old game, but those blurry stretched out textures should have died 5 years ago. It's time for a new game and I want World of Starcraft!

Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?
    It's the Minecraft generation that is finally old enough to have a college degree and the know-how to make games, so they keep up with this "retro" style that is all the rage
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    What?

Pixel graphics(the way you use it) isnt an actual term. Pixel graphics refer to graphics made by pixels as opposed to vector graphics
    Yes, and technically everything is displayed in pixels, once it reaches your screen, even vector, voxel or polygon based graphics. That's not the poin. If people actually bothered to read the OP, not just the title, it would be painfully obvious that the subject is pixel aesthetic, or style. I.e. the emulation of pre-90s polygon based style.

5+ Year Old Account
    Don't know if it really fits the "pixel game" category but I did enjoy Darkwood, a 2D top-down horror game.

Yes, and technically everything is displayed in pixels, once it reaches your screen, even vector, voxel or polygon based graphics. That's not the poin. If people actually bothered to read the OP, not just the title, it would be painfully obvious that the subject is pixel aesthetic, or style. I.e. the emulation of pre-90s polygon based style.
    Thats why:

There seems to be the same misconception thrown around. Pixel graphics != 2D. Yes, majority of them are in 2D, but there are exceptions. And obviously not all 2D games have pixel graphics.
    is a little odd to begin with.

The misconception started with the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually no - there are different kinds of graphics. Vector graphics is an example

I dont know if its ever been used for gaming tho
    Arcade games used them such as Asteroids and there was an entire system (the Vectrex) that used it.

Thats why:

is a little odd to begin with.

The misconception started with the OP.
    Well, that's incorrect. OP express an opinion that pixel style graphics look bad, especially compared to what is possible nowadays and game engines freely available to gamedevs. Which is fair enough.

The first reply in the thread immediately jumped on the idea that 2D is cheaper than 3D, which is debatable, but generally true. Unfortunately the same sentiment was parroted several times over the discussion, always implying that it's a cheaper style to go for. But going 2D does not mean you have to resort to pixel style. And if one's artistical abilities are lacking, pixel aesthetic will not magically fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Arcade games used them such as Asteroids and there was an entire system (the Vectrex) that used it.
    Cool Good to know

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatPandaZ View Post
    It's not lazy developers. It's a mix of a breakthrough allowing indie developers to really get the attention their games deserve, and a direct response to the previous 'generation' of AAA games that focused purely on graphics and didn't bother with good game mechanics.
    Hit the nail on the head. When games put more emphasis on sensory overload than on controls and mechanics, they end up sucking hard. Seems like some devs just don't understand the value of replayability while plenty of these indie "retro pixel" games seem to have that trait in spades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Well, that's incorrect. OP express an opinion that pixel style graphics look bad, especially compared to what is possible nowadays and game engines freely available to gamedevs. Which is fair enough.

The first reply in the thread immediately jumped on the idea that 2D is cheaper than 3D, which is debatable, but generally true. Unfortunately the same sentiment was parroted several times over the discussion, always implying that it's a cheaper style to go for. But going 2D does not mean you have to resort to pixel style. And if one's artistical abilities are lacking, pixel aesthetic will not magically fix that.
    2d is cheaper then 3d and the pixelated(can we please use that term instead?) graphics style is generally cheaper because the art assets are smaller in scale and as thus takes less time to make. One of the main advantages of pixelated graphics is it needs less optimizing and it runs more easily on more hardware.

It cuts down production time, overall amount of art assets and the quality of the art assets needed.

That being said i think - and i'm projecting myself on to the OP here, the real problem lies with the intend of these kind of games more so then the art style.

Storytelling > scenery > vibe > gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnosh View Post
    Hit the nail on the head. When games put more emphasis on sensory overload than on controls and mechanics, they end up sucking hard. Seems like some devs just don't understand the value of replayability while plenty of these indie "retro pixel" games seem to have that trait in spades.
    Its interesting that you would say that since i find most of these games put gameplay at the very bottom of the spectrum. I rarely if ever find any unique mechanics in them unless its like THE mechanic that the entire game revolves around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its interesting that you would say that since i find most of these games put gameplay at the very bottom of the spectrum. I rarely if ever find any unique mechanics in them unless its like THE mechanic that the entire game revolves around.
    Maybe I'm just old-school and like simple games. I did grow up in the glory days of the Nintendo vs Sega rivalry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Best case scenario is I'm going to polarize the community, worst-case scenario turn you all against me

Anyway, anyone else feeling really tired of the pixel and 1990-2010 visual type games?
    It seems to be "the shit" in the past 3-4 years. Indie game companies pushing those pixelated games and people swallowing them as if it's the year 1995.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think they are bad games. But I'm tired of wanting to play something cool but it looks like shit.
    It's almost 2021, I don't want to play games that look like crap.
    There are options of course, but my favorite genres, MMORPG and top-down RPGs are the ones that are hit most.

This is why I support games like Wolcen and New World.
    Wolcen is.... lacking, to say the least, compared to other options. But you can't deny the game looks absolutely fantastic for an ARPG game.
    New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release. But it looks miles better than other MMORPGs. Sorry WoW, you look good for a 15-year-old game, but those blurry stretched out textures should have died 5 years ago. It's time for a new game and I want World of Starcraft!

Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?
    The thing is, most of these games being indie games, they wouldn't even exist with normal graphics because that would push the budget too high. While the engine might be free, it still takes their artists alot of time to build a world in them.

There are plenty of games to play. I hate sports games, but i'm not over here saying they need to stop making sports games.

I don't like green cars. I hope this doesn't get me a lot of hate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incitatus View Post
    I don't like green cars. I hope this doesn't get me a lot of hate.
    Be honest, how often do you see green cars?