Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I want to be, but I'm worries they are trying to look clever by 'expanding/revealing' the lore by using that dumb chart. which means we'll see more and more 'meet the unfathomables'

anyway, the lore is only meaningful and memorable when it's crafted with care, just naming more and more big bads is forgettable and you could just go watch a comic book movie instead and forget it as well.

I prefer smaller stories. and if they're going a hierarchy of powers/forces/godlike beings..for the sake of going that route, then I can't be excited because what excites me is discovering new lands, meeting peculiar inhabitants, and only getting hints of the mysteries of reality here and there.

I don't want the creation of all to be the main idea going forward, it's empty, even if it sounds like a huge concept, it's not, because big bads or even big goods don't matter, our characters and smaller stories that we can relate to are what make us care.

It has to be better than the BFA lore. BFA questing just bored the shit out of me.

Not in the least bit hyped. I was curious and mildly excited at first, but the more I see and hear from it the more I think it's going to be as bad, if not worse, than the past couple of expansions from a lore perspective.

It's still WoW and it will entertain me for some days with gameplay, but the lore is best ignored given how awful and convoluted it's become.

I'm intrigued because it's new stuff, but I also have no expectations.

So am I hyped? I mean...yes? But not like super excited, waiting with bated breathe, but I am looking forward to experiencing the new content and stories and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    No new Ideas at all

What about scourge... But good!

Emerald Dream 2.0

Generic Gotic Vampires with Generic noble tyrant

Even the Jailer is Kinda boring. «Oh no he wants to kill everyone, including azeroth!»

Also arent there an infinite number of realms? Why don’t they all just unite to destroy the jailer

Also super lame the scourge is suddenly the good guys
    I'm not, but for different reasons. Namely it doesn't really tie into much of anything. It might as well be a different setting.

Also, I think the "Infinite realms" is hyperbolic. Because...infinity is stupid and makes no sense.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from about 5 minutes of nostalgia for Orcs in WoD I haven't been excited for WoW lore since they butchered the Arthas lore in WLK.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

The exceptionally egregious lore retcons has painted Shadowlands as a massive dumpster fire from a lore standpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could say I was excited but WoD almost killed any excitement for lore I once had. It took Legion to finally bring it back, but the abomination that was Demo locks & SV hunters almost killed any reason to care or play anymore. Lorewise, BfA didn't do me any favors, and when SL was announced, the lack of any real innovation, new class/specs, something...anything other than "we get some old pruned abilities back" and the scourge 2.0 have yet to make me care.

That said, will I play it, probably....unless Baldur's Gate 3 completely blows all my expectations out of the water (fingers crossed).

It's just really bad fanfiction at this point. Danuser doesn't do any research. He just google images some characters and gets to writing.

That, at least, is how we got BFA. Shadowlands is bringing entirely new things, thankfully now that they've thrown a fucking decade's worth of build up into the downsyndrome blender. /S

However, everything in Shadowlands looks completely.. plastic. There's no charm to it whatsoever. The old characters making an appearance in Shadowlands.. you can't even recognize them, personality wise. They're just puppets saying and doing whatever Danuser wants them to say and do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The exceptionally egregious lore retcons has painted Shadowlands as a massive dumpster fire from a lore standpoint.
    There is no lore. It's just a horrible rip of Greek mythology. Don't believe me? See Thanatos, god of death, and let me know what you think.

The overarching lore for WoW doesnt really make much sense, there have been a ton of retcons and shit is frankly all over the place. But if you just look at the microstories... I enjoy that. Like drustvar as it's own contained storyline was really neat and awesome. Basically I feel the more I ignore the cosmic force / larger architecture of the universe and focus down on just the adventurer stories like zone stuff and side quests, the more I can enjoy the game.

I'll be honest, I've basically hated every main story arc in WoW since the end of Wrath. It's only the small zone stories and side quests of the new expansions that I think are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    It's just really bad fanfiction at this point. Danuser doesn't do any research. He just google images some characters and gets to writing.

That, at least, is how we got BFA. Shadowlands is bringing entirely new things, thankfully now that they've thrown a fucking decade's worth of build up into the downsyndrome blender. /S

However, everything in Shadowlands looks completely.. plastic. There's no charm to it whatsoever. The old characters making an appearance in Shadowlands.. you can't even recognize them, personality wise. They're just puppets saying and doing whatever Danuser wants them to say and do.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no lore. It's just a horrible rip of Greek mythology. Don't believe me? See Thanatos, god of death, and let me know what you think.
    I mean...yeah but they've also retconned quite a few things which drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    No new Ideas at all

What about scourge... But good!

Emerald Dream 2.0

Generic Gotic Vampires with Generic noble tyrant

Even the Jailer is Kinda boring. «Oh no he wants to kill everyone, including azeroth!»

Also arent there an infinite number of realms? Why don’t they all just unite to destroy the jailer

Also super lame the scourge is suddenly the good guys
    The whole infinite worlds nonsense really broke the game. All they had to say was it was an alternate Legion. Nope 1 legion trying the same failed attempt on another world.....wait there's other timelines and we can interact.....so infinite vs finite in the nether I wonder who wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EntertainmentNihilist View Post
    I'm not, but for different reasons. Namely it doesn't really tie into much of anything. It might as well be a different setting.

Also, I think the "Infinite realms" is hyperbolic. Because...infinity is stupid and makes no sense.
    While I'm sure there aren't infinite shadowlands realms because it makes no sense unless they're saying the main covenants can snag the souls they want and everyone else gets a unique afterlife, they've already suggested there's infinite timelines where possibly everything everywhere goes to the same Shadowlands as the Nether is somehow finite.

Rather than building and developing existing stuff all they did was create a bunch of zones that crank old material's aesthetic to 11 and then say "These are the original, superior versions, of all those things you loved, be invested in THESE."

When really they don't even display the references to existing lore very well, "De Other Side" dungeon is an insult to trolls.

The only thing good that might come from this expansion would be them managing to fix some of the characterization for dead and living characters, like they're trying for Kael.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Alternative draconic sanctums, breeding grounds, a Titanic installation or two, an island taken over by dragon hunters and/or pirates, the last remaining holdout of the Twilight's Hammer and the Twilight Dragonflight, an underground complex containing the last living Nerubians who were saved by Alexstrasza before their destruction by the Scourge, and a long-forgotten Black Dragonflight temple/sanctum which becomes a point of contention between Ebonhorn and Wrathion.
    I dont rly see it as an expansion main selling point...but who knows,pandaria was completly out of left field and they snuck in an actual good faction war and an old god relation

I will still enjoy Shadowlands but as far as lore goes i no longer care about it after BFA. BFA ruined the lore for me.

I wasn't, until I played it. Now I'm hyped as hell for the upcoming patches. I really hope Blizzard doesn't screw it up.

Yes and no, It's not how I imagined Shadowlands and how we're going there and having to help these zones from an anima draught isn't what I'd want to do there either. The fragility to the Shadowlands isn't appealing either.

Having flashbacks of the horrible lore development in WoD with timey-wimey and one legion nonsense and Draka's not making it easy to ignore. But I also never liked the whole "Infinite timelines and possibilities from the start either.

But we're possibly gonna get a Cinematic that says #ArthasDidNothingWrong so there's hope

Low-key salty that my hopes of a Radical Alliance + Light expansion, led by Greymane, Jaina and Rodgers hasn't happened. But there's still hope that the Alliance will get radicalized with Turalyon while we're gone.
    Last edited by MikeBogina; 2020-10-13 at 11:27 PM.

"When she comes, it will be our eeeeeend!" Oh no, the tension and excitement, i can't handle it. I'm so hyped about another world ending villain, who will be so incompetent that he, or in this case she(unless she gets Kerrigan treatment), will achieve absolutely nothing that comes close to real consequences. What delighting, original story telling. It will be great. For sure.

Seeing as the only tie ins to existing lore are hamfisted retcons (helm of domination/frostmourne were made there, Sylvanas' deal etc.) why would anyone be excited about this expansion? There was no real setup for it.

More hype than bfa that is for sure.