Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation ‘Dexter' Revival Starring Michael C. Hall Set at Showtime

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eto...e-154799%3famp

Surprise! Dexter is back from the dead.

Michael C. Hall will return as serial killer Dexter Morgan for a 10-episode limited series at Showtime, it was announced Wednesday. He will be reunited once again with showrunner Clyde Phillips, who will helm the new project.

Filming is expected to begin in early 2021, with Showtime eyeing a potential premiere in the fall.

“Dexter is such a special series, both for its millions of fans and for Showtime, as this breakthrough show helped put our network on the map many years ago,” said Gary Levine, Co-President of Entertainment at Showtime Networks, in a statement. “We would only revisit this unique character if we could find a creative take that was truly worthy of the brilliant, original series. Well, I am happy to report that Clyde Phillips and Michael C. Hall have found it, and we can’t wait to shoot it and show it to the world!”

This is excellent news. Excellent show that arguably started to go down hill at season 5 of its 8 seasons. The series finale is regarded as one of the worst of all time.

I do hope this makes up for it. I can’t wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just heard about this as well. Very excited

I loved this show, even though the series finale was among the worst I have ever seen (and I've watched a lot of TV) I'll definitely still tune in for this however

Don't know how you undo the last season. Unless Dexter starts off completely new in a different town.

no, when a show goes into sister fucking, thats when you throw in the towel and restart. The only way the show can go, is if he somehow finds his kid, if this isnt a reboot with dexter just starting when hes older.

Booooring.

Dexter was fun at first, but then took a big nosedive. I hate reboots/revivals/reXXX to begin with, and this is definitely something I can do without. Bleh.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is exciting news....love that guy.

side note, back from the dead? he was never dead....

Going to have to do something amazing to make up for that ending they already gave us.

The good thing is that the original showrunner...the guy that was in charge of the first 4 seasons but left before the start of the 5th... is returning as well. The Fifth season was a misstep...but the show really started going downhill when they brought Scott Buck on as Showrunner for the final 3 seasons. You may also remember Scott Buck from his work as showrunner on the terrible first season of Iron Fist and the somehow even worse Inhumans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post

Well, officially speaking...Dexter Morgan is dead. He faked his death in that abomination they called a series finale.

10+ Year Old Account
    IDK. Considering how it ended I don't know if I want more Dexter. I would have to rival the first few seasons, which is hard because part of the reason it fell off because you got tired of Dexter's formula and him being locked up/killed was the only direction the show could go.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post

I figure they meant the show. As in the show is back from the dead (ended).

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    IDK. Considering how it ended I don't know if I want more Dexter. I would have to rival the first few seasons, which is hard because part of the reason it fell off because you got tired of Dexter's formula and him being locked up/killed was the only direction the show could go.
    Well, the good thing is that they are bringing back the original showrunner...the guy that was in charge of the first 4 seasons... so they at least have someone competent at the helm.

As for the formula...well, the one possible positive take way from the way that the series ended is that it provides an opportunity for both the show and the character to re-invent themselves.

Loved the first few seasons...but the ending was absurdly horrendous. I'll probably still watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Don't know how you undo the last season. Unless Dexter starts off completely new in a different town.
    Well, there are a few loose ends to tie up. Perhaps LaGuerta had written some shit down before Deb killed her, she was investigating Dexter for awhile.

Or maybe they'll go with the source material, where the daughter turns into a serial killer and they could make a storyline about Dexter trying to be a father figure like Harry was to him, but perhaps steer her in a different direction.

Or his son is in, like, Brazil with Lumen, he could do something with that.

Or, as you said, he could just start again in a new town because he's unable to quiet his Dark Passenger.

They could start off the new season where hannah poisoned dexter and debra, and avoid the whole shitshow at the end where debra dies, that could easily be a bad nightmare while being drugged out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, the good thing is that they are bringing back the original showrunner...the guy that was in charge of the first 4 seasons... so they at least have someone competent at the helm.

As for the formula...well, the one possible positive take way from the way that the series ended is that it provides an opportunity for both the show and the character to re-invent themselves.
    Maybe my unpopular opinion but the last thing I want to see is a reformed Dexter.

The thing that draws me to these type of shows where a bad guy is the protagonist, modern digestible tragedies, is that ways do them in or they are forced into some kind of exile. Story over.

I don't need to some lumberjack Dexter who no longer struggles with his psychosis, that's not why I tuned into the show.

All that said I will begrudgingly watch it and I can think of some storylines I might want to see.

Nice one.

More dexter is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Maybe my unpopular opinion but the last thing I want to see is a reformed Dexter.
    Not reformed no...but just a new way of doing what he was always going to do.

The opportunity presented here is that Dexter has lost all ties to his old life. The world believes he's dead, His sister is dead, he believes his son is better off without him. He's in an entirely new environment. He's got more freedom to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by hynx View Post
    no, when a show goes into sister fucking, thats when you throw in the towel and restart. The only way the show can go, is if he somehow finds his kid, if this isnt a reboot with dexter just starting when hes older.
    1. Deb isn't his biological sister
    2. They never Eff
    3. Some people are into that
    4. The show did get really bad in the latter seasons, but I feel they started going down hill when Deb was made Captain. The rest of the stuff was just trying to jump every shark they could before they got eaten lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Not reformed no...but just a new way of doing what he was always going to do.

The opportunity presented here is that Dexter has lost all ties to his old life. The world believes he's dead, His sister is dead, he believes his son is better off without him. He's in an entirely new environment. He's got more freedom to hunt.
    I don't deny there are viable options for the show to explore, I lack confidence we'll see the show go one of those routes.

Only a handful of shows have pulled of revivals after series has "ended" that are reboots/remakes.