Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

What does TV resolutions have to do with computers? The number of people who use their computer (with its monitor) as an entertainment system is infintessimally small. So small as to be utterly irrelevant.
    There's your problem - you're living in a time when TV shows are edited by literally cutting tape. And in this time, full hd is good and 1440p is bees knees.

1440p. Jesus. I think I used that in 2013. Jesus. There's nothing to discuss. If you're using a bigger display than 13", it's crap. Simples. So disappointed in pc master race, they're pushing 1440p, what the fuck.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Kinda, but not quite. I did in fact just reword my position such that lagging is synonymous with having high latency. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it's not there though - any non-zero latency means you are lagging. Sure, not all lag is due to ping, nonetheless, the latency (delay) between your communication with a server and you feeling lag (a delay) in the responsiveness of your gameplay local side are literally the same thing.
    Network latency is just one part to overall latency. Latency exists even in singleplayer games where no network communication is happening. Also, zero latency does not exist, which means you're either lagging all the time, or you're saying bullshit to avoid admitting that you're wrong.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Network latency is just one part to overall latency. Latency exists even in singleplayer games where no network communication is happening. Also, zero latency does not exist, which means you're either lagging all the time, or you're saying bullshit to avoid admitting that you're wrong.
    This is true, but I was keeping to the server-side communications to avoid confusing anyone, since this concept seems very complicated to most. Yeah, you're lagging all the time. There's a non-zero lag between input and output whenever you do anything on a computer due to the latency between you pressing a key and the software doing whatever that keypress does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Highlighted the only point that needs to be made here. What you said after this is just repeating what I said, yes, high ping (latency) causes lag. That does not mean latency is the same as lag or even lag is the same as high latency. If they were synonymous then if you were lagging you could always say "I have high latency". When sometimes it could just be that you have an overheating or dated hardware while having extremely low ping.
    I think you're confusing lag with performance issues like stuttering, low-fps etc. which are distinctly different.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm bored of trying to educate everyone who's incorrectly disagreeing with me so I'm gonna drop some truth bombs and yeet myself out of this thread and away from belligerant smooth-brains.

A lag is a delay. A period of latency is a delay. Synonyms are words that share a meaning.

A delay is a meaning, shared by lag and a period of latency, thus they are synonyms.
    And before anyone gets rabid because I used "a period of latency" that's just a grammatical issue so the sentence works, all latencies are periods of latency and if that confuses you then just remember that latency is measured in units of time. A period.

We'll say it again for people in the back.
    A lag is a delay. A period of latency is a delay. Synonyms are words that share a meaning.

Now get off my dick, definitions shouldn't be points of contention.

Your social security login should be needed every time you go online and could be used to track antisocial/illegal behavior online.

Consoles need to die out to pave the way for the pc to become bigger and better. There is no need or room for consoles.

Influencers arent areal thing. Round them up and force them to do hard manual labor for 10 years to even out the stupidity damage they did to young and impressionable minds.

Making a website does not make you a programmer/developer.

C# > Python > c++ > c > script languages > html > css > word.exe > java
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    This is true, but I was keeping to the server-side communications to avoid confusing anyone, since this concept seems very complicated to most. Yeah, you're lagging all the time. There's a non-zero lag between input and output whenever you do anything on a computer due to the latency between you pressing a key and the software doing whatever that keypress does.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're confusing lag with performance issues like stuttering, low-fps etc. which are distinctly different.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm bored of trying to educate everyone who's incorrectly disagreeing with me so I'm gonna drop some truth bombs and yeet myself out of this thread and away from belligerant smooth-brains.

A delay is a meaning, shared by lag and a period of latency, thus they are synonyms.
    And before anyone gets rabid because I used "a period of latency" that's just a grammatical issue so the sentence works, all latencies are periods of latency and if that confuses you then just remember that latency is measured in units of time. A period.

We'll say it again for people in the back.

Now get off my dick, definitions shouldn't be points of contention.
    I’m most certainly not I think you don’t understand what lag means. I think you just don’t want to be wrong, you’ve already had to change your argument once to not be wrong, yet you are still wrong.

And I’ll say it again, they are not synonyms. If they were, whenever I say “I’m lagging” you could also say “I have high latency” which obviously isn’t true.

Btw no one is “on your dick” we are just correcting you. Stop posting and the replies correcting you stop”
    Last edited by Synical123; 2020-10-15 at 12:15 PM.

I’m most certainly not I think you don’t understand what lag means. I think you just don’t want to be wrong, you’ve already had to change your argument once to not be wrong, yet you are still wrong.

And I’ll say it again, they are not synonyms. If they were, whenever I say “I’m lagging” you could also say “I have high latency” which obviously isn’t true.
    Lag has an official definition in the cambridge dictionary. Dont know why you guys dont just refer to that.

The first meaning has to do with the original use of the word that later got morphed into a slightly more specific computer version:

If a computer or computer game lags, there is a delay between the user doing something and the computer or game reacting to it:
    If I try to access any of the folders or files, the computer lags seriously.
    Why are the games on my laptop suddenly lagging when they ran fine before?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Lag has an official definition in the cambridge dictionary. Dont know why you guys dont just refer to that.

The first meaning has to do with the original use of the word that later got morphed into a slightly more specific computer version:

If a computer or computer game lags, there is a delay between the user doing something and the computer or game reacting to it:
    They have used it this guy already had to change his argument because he got proven wrong once.

He then changed his argument to meaning that lag and high latency are the exact same thing, which they aren’t. Because you can lag without high latency. It’s a cause and effect not a synonymous situation. But he refuses to admit he is wrong lol.

They have used it this guy already had to change his argument because he got proven wrong once.

He then changed his argument to meaning that lag and high latency are the exact same thing, which they aren’t. Because you can lag without high latency. It’s a cause and effect not a synonymous situation. But he refuses to admit he is wrong lol.
    Lag is the effect of packet loss which is basicly the same as high latency

Lag is the effect of packet loss which is basicly the same as high latency
    It’s not basically the same thing. Latency is specifically your connection to the games server. The response time it takes for your information to your computer to reach the games server.

Lag can be many things. Lag can be experienced because of packet loss or high latency. But lag can also be caused from things like full disk space, data corruption, a bad cpu.... etc.

Lag is basically the effect of a million different things. It isn’t just caused by high latency. It is 100% possible, and quite frankly common, to lag in a game with low latency.

This difference seriously doesn’t matter at all, it’s just that the user before you, and you now, are arguing for this when it’s clearly not how it works.

So yes, you are partially right, lag is the effect of packet loss. That doesn’t mean packets loss/latency is the only cause of lag. Meaning they aren’t the same thing, it’s a cause and effect scenario.

Death isn’t the same thing as getting shot in the head. Getting shot in the head can cause death, but that doesn’t mean all death is caused by getting shot in the head. Therefor death and getting shot in the head are two different things.

It’s not basically the same thing. Latency is specifically your connection to the games server. The response time it takes for your information to your computer to reach the games server.

Lag can be many things. Lag can be experienced because of packet loss or high latency. But lag can also be caused from things like full disk space, data corruption, a bad cpu.... etc.

Lag is basically the effect of a million different things. It isn’t just caused by high latency. It is 100% possible, and quite frankly common, to lag in a game with low latency.

This difference seriously doesn’t matter at all, it’s just that the user before you, and you now, are arguing for this when it’s clearly not how it works.

So yes, you are partially right, lag is the effect of packet loss. That doesn’t mean packets loss/latency is the only cause of lag. Meaning they aren’t the same thing, it’s a cause and effect scenario.

Death isn’t the same thing as getting shot in the head. Getting shot in the head can cause death, but that doesn’t mean all death is caused by getting shot in the head. Therefor death and getting shot in the head are two different things.
    Stuttering and lag isnt the same thing. At least not where i am from.

Lag is directly associated with network connectivity and is influenced by packet loss.

The response time from your server being longer is due to packet loss

Stuttering and lag isnt the same thing. At least not where i am from.

Lag is directly associated with network connectivity and is influenced by packet loss.

The response time from your server being longer is due to packet loss
    No it is not lol I don't understand how hard it is to understand this. And I'm not talking about stuttering, why do you keep bringing up stuttering, I'm talking about lag.

VERY SIMPLY PUT, lag just means a 'delay'. You can 100% have a delay in your game while having a low latency. Full stop. End of discussion. There should be nothing more to add here. This alone should be a sign to anyway who doesn't even understand computers that they aren't the same thing. You experience lag, you measure latency. Big difference.

https://www.minitool.com/partition-d...uter-lags.html

Read here on what can cause lag, internet connection or latency is one factor, other factors could be your hardware. If my cpu is overheating and I'm clicking in league of legends to move and I don't notice the movement until 5 seconds later, it has nothing to do with my latency in game, it's my computer not processing what I'm wanting to do.

Honestly, I'm just going to say this one more time and if you still repeat your nonsense then I really don't care if you choose to be wrong lol. Your computer can be lagging, making your inputs delayed. While at the same time your latency can be excellent taking your data that your computer eventually reads and be sending/receiving information lightning fast.

Honestly, the statement alone that "You can lag with low latency" should be factual enough to allow anyone to understand that these two aren't the same. They CAN be a cause and effect of eachother and be used interchangeably given a specific scenario calls for it, but not all the time.

No it is not lol I don't understand how hard it is to understand this. And I'm not talking about stuttering, why do you keep bringing up stuttering, I'm talking about lag.

VERY SIMPLY PUT, lag just means a 'delay'. You can 100% have a delay in your game while having a low latency. Full stop. End of discussion. There should be nothing more to add here. This alone should be a sign to anyway who doesn't even understand computers that they aren't the same thing. You experience lag, you measure latency. Big difference.

https://www.minitool.com/partition-d...uter-lags.html

Read here on what can cause lag, internet connection or latency is one factor, other factors could be your hardware. If my cpu is overheating and I'm clicking in league of legends to move and I don't notice the movement until 5 seconds later, it has nothing to do with my latency in game, it's my computer not processing what I'm wanting to do.

Honestly, I'm just going to say this one more time and if you still repeat your nonsense then I really don't care if you choose to be wrong lol. Your computer can be lagging, making your inputs delayed. While at the same time your latency can be excellent taking your data that your computer eventually reads and be sending/receiving information lightning fast.

Honestly, the statement alone that "You can lag with low latency" should be factual enough to allow anyone to understand that these two aren't the same. They CAN be a cause and effect of eachother and be used interchangeably given a specific scenario calls for it, but not all the time.
    I am aware of the definition of lagging behind. But thats not how the word is used when it comes to IT.

Lag has 2 definions in the cambridge dictionary. One for regular use and one for IT. You can look it up.

In IT it is directly connected to network connectivity. Hardware issues is called stuttering. Such as cpu/gpu heating and so on.

Not sure why you are laughing either

I am aware of the definition of lagging behind. But thats not how the word is used when it comes to IT.

Lag has 2 definions in the cambridge dictionary. One for regular use and one for IT. You can look it up.

In IT it is directly connected to network connectivity. Hardware issues is called stuttering. Such as cpu/gpu heating and so on.

Not sure why you are laughing either
    I'm sorry am I missing something here? I just looked up your source and this is what it says

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...ry/english/lag

This only supports what I'm saying

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smart watches and stuff (outside of a few niche cases where they help directly monitor health vital signs and such) are an enormous waste of time. Like, just pull out your phone if you really need to check something. Maybe my 30-something year old eyes just don't care for tiny ass screens and one more thing to charge each night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

I'm sorry am I missing something here? I just looked up your source and this is what it says

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...ry/english/lag

This only supports what I'm saying
    No it doesnt support what you are saying. Its actually a really, really bad explanatiion.

you cant define lag by saying "if you have lag"

Lag is used for network connectiivity, stuttering is hardware related

No it doesnt support what you are saying. Its actually a really, really bad explanatiion.

you cant define lag by saying "if you have lag"

Lag is used for network connectiivity, stuttering is hardware related
    Literally everything you are saying on how it is defined, is the exact opposite of how it is actually defined, even with your OWN source lol.

No where does it say that lagging is directly, and only, related to connection. Are you looking up latency by accident and involuntarily proving yourself wrong?

Link me where you are getting these 'definitions' because I just linked you a ton that disproves what you said.

Here I'll give you another variation from the source you are providing

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/.../english/laggy

A laggy computer, computer game, or internet connection is slow to react:
    Seems like they are saying it's multiple things that can cause lag....sort of like I was saying, huh that's weird

Despite having access to every aspect of human knowledge ever concieved, recorded, or pondered at your fingertips, humanity is currently in its most worthless state.

I don't give a s*** about Ray Tracing, 8k gaming and $1K+ GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    There's your problem - you're living in a time when TV shows are edited by literally cutting tape. And in this time, full hd is good and 1440p is bees knees.

1440p. Jesus. I think I used that in 2013. Jesus. There's nothing to discuss. If you're using a bigger display than 13", it's crap. Simples. So disappointed in pc master race, they're pushing 1440p, what the fuck.
    1080p looks shite bigger than 24" and 4K isnt quite there for high frame rates in fps.

1440p/165hz is a great middle ground between fidelity and speed.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Literally everything you are saying on how it is defined, is the exact opposite of how it is actually defined, even with your OWN source lol.

No where does it say that lagging is directly, and only, related to connection. Are you looking up latency by accident and involuntarily proving yourself wrong?

Link me where you are getting these 'definitions' because I just linked you a ton that disproves what you said.

Here I'll give you another variation from the source you are providing

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/.../english/laggy

Seems like they are saying it's multiple things that can cause lag....sort of like I was saying, huh that's weird
    You are making a logical fallacy thinking that because it doesnt directly say its related to network connectivity, its not.

It doesnt say "any form of delay is lag".