Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Solid point. I just wanted to show that there are a number of countries and cities that have expressed interest enough to at least start projects. I think your point is perhaps the biggest criticism to those projects - that they might in fact just be for show with no intention of it actually working out. I disagree with that assessment, of course, but I am also comfortable pointing out the opposing position.
    Which is absolutely fine, my dude.

But I mean, let's be realistic here; it's fairly telling that a lot of the big names in terms of cities known for innovative solutions to congestion aren't generally looking at Hyperloop - if they aren't North American. Which ties into my aforementioned statement of it being more of a cultural curiosity than 'cutting edge technology'.

Elegiac, my sincerest apologies - the snide remark was not directed at you whatsoever - I definitely value your input and your posts have always been well reasoned and thought out. I see now that my end comment wasn't clear in regards to whom it was aimed.
    It's fine, plenty of people hate on Musk for entirely nonsense reasons, you're correct.

There are so many valid reasons to hate him, is the thing. Why lie, lol.

I agree - there are still major issues to be resolved before we can even think about developing Hyperloop as a transportation "solution". The other consideration, in an entirely different area, is given how much we are working and communicating right now at long distances, do we even need high speed transportation? What market exactly does this solve for? And, at what cost will it do so? $200B so 10,000 people can travel faster each year. The ROI on that isn't even worth bringing the calculator out on.

Interesting. I'm just spitballing here, but if it wasn't available to disable people, could they even open it? The ADA is pretty clear on that point.
    How do I put this...

Ah, drive in movie theaters.

Drive in theaters do have a very useful function in theory; enabling people to enjoy cinematic movie releases without a lot of the hassle associated with traditional theaters (especially topical in an age of social distancing). And many of the problems with drive in theaters that existed previously can now be rectified; the poor sound quality from the box speakers is not an issue when most cars have USB ports at worst and Bluetooth at best (technologies easily affordable by most commercial theatres these days). But that entirely sidesteps the fact such a concept could only exist in a culture where insularity (and car culture) are the norm and if you don't want the communal experience, there is always Netflix and increasingly immersive VR cinema.

I mention drive ins because hyperloop strikes a lot of the same notes. As mentioned countless times it has very useful functions and sidesteps a lot of the problems with traditional public transportation in America. Sidestepping entirely that American car culture and the demography it has created are part of the problem, and in that addressing those the need for a hyperloop network suddenly disappears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Which is absolutely fine, my dude.

But I mean, let's be realistic here; it's fairly telling that a lot of the big names in terms of cities known for innovative solutions to congestion aren't generally looking at Hyperloop - if they aren't North American. Which ties into my aforementioned statement of it being more of a cultural curiosity than 'cutting edge technology'.
    I see your point, although I'm wondering now why it can't be both. Cutting edge tech that is more of a "look at how progressive we are" rather than "how the holy fuck are we even going to remotely pay for this" kind of thing.

It's fine, plenty of people hate on Musk for entirely nonsense reasons, you're correct.

There are so many valid reasons to hate him, is the thing. Why lie, lol.
    Right? I mean, where to start. The Taiwanese Diver? Married life? The $50M Tesla text? There are so many venues to legitimately hate on the man, but these yokels above can't resist piling on with lies. Some people....

How do I put this...

Ah, drive in movie theaters.

Drive in theaters do have a very useful function in theory; enabling people to enjoy cinematic movie releases without a lot of the hassle associated with traditional theaters (especially topical in an age of social distancing). And many of the problems with drive in theaters that existed previously can now be rectified; the poor sound quality from the box speakers is not an issue when most cars have USB ports at worst and Bluetooth at best (technologies easily affordable by most commercial theatres these days). But that entirely sidesteps the fact such a concept could only exist in a culture where insularity (and car culture) are the norm and if you don't want the communal experience, there is always Netflix and increasingly immersive VR cinema.

I mention drive ins because hyperloop strikes a lot of the same notes. As mentioned countless times it has very useful functions and sidesteps a lot of the problems with traditional public transportation in America. Sidestepping entirely that American car culture and the demography it has created are part of the problem, and in that addressing those the need for a hyperloop network suddenly disappears.
    Nice analogy. Solving a problem we don't need to have in the first place if we solved yet another problem elsewhere.

Quora is unverified. Show me their published and peer reviewed article, and we'll talk. The article from the Engineering site you posted was spot on - just to give you an example. In other words, you know that Quora is shit, and you proved that by posting something legitimate.
    Don't need a peer-reviewed article to explain common engineering problems with a project such as the Hyperloop. You are ignoring expert opinion.

Then show me your evidence - the list of countries/cities that are doing it. We'll wait.
    "NO U" isn't an argument, you made the claim dozens of countries, you have to prove this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerplank View Post
    Don't need a peer-reviewed article to explain common engineering problems with a project such as the Hyperloop. You are ignoring expert opinion.

"NO U" isn't an argument, you made the claim dozens of countries, you have to prove this.
    I see this dead horse is still being beaten? I thought it was abundantly clear from the start to anyone that Musk's claims are just a publicity stunt at best, and a hoax at worst. His own test track proved that it is almost impossible to construct even a 500m long vacuum tube. They could not fix it to be stationary and had to just lay on top of supports on rubber cushions due to expansion movements. The same goes for Dubai and Virgin US projects. That is why no one even attempted driving anything with a decent mass through it at a high speed. If an idea of a what basically is an aircraft fuselage (or a space ship) travelling at a supersonic speed mere inches away from hard steel (that will obliterate said frame upon slightest contact), in a vacuum tube we have no idea how to construct without blowing a whole continental GDP on it, with little to no safety measures that even theoretically can influence chances of survival of those onboard if something goes wrong... if all that sounds feasible, I have a very nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    I see this dead horse is still being beaten? I thought it was abundantly clear from the start to anyone that Musk's claims are just a publicity stunt at best, and a hoax at worst.
    Not to the poster who's acting eerily like their avatar, it appears.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

I thought about letting this go, given your propensity to ignore both logic and facts, but you continue to eschew science and reason in your pursuit of some untenable goal somehow based on cities and countries getting hookwinked into building Hyperloops.

And you base your entire claim on a youtube video. And one engineer that claims we can't do it...yet. Which means I guess you are also struggling with time now. Interesting.

Just to respond to your ridiculous notion that you don't need science to refute science, I'm posting that yet another city is signing on for a hyperloop.

Oh no - look! Another city falling for that horrific scam of a hyperloop project. When will they ever learn?!?!?

What I love most about your ongoing ridiculous claims of the hyperloop not working is that you ignore countless cities and countries (that I've listed for you) whom have signed on for various projects based on this idea/technology. It's adorable you still can't face the reality of facts. And holding so desperately to the one article from that mildly backs your continually moving point is just precious.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the hyperloop and all those cities and countries being duped into building one. Elon Musk is a scam artist genius.

Gosh - look at all those companies (four now - FOUR) getting in the scam-cities-and-countries business. They are going to make so much!
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-10-03 at 03:11 AM.

I thought about letting this go, given your propensity to ignore both logic and facts, but you continue to eschew science and reason in your pursuit of some untenable goal somehow based on cities and countries getting hookwinked into building Hyperloops.

And you base your entire claim on a youtube video. And one engineer that claims we can't do it...yet. Which means I guess you are also struggling with time now. Interesting.

Just to respond to your ridiculous notion that you don't need science to refute science, I'm posting that yet another city is signing on for a hyperloop.

Oh no - look! Another city falling for that horrific scam of a hyperloop project. When will they ever learn?!?!?

What I love most about your ongoing ridiculous claims of the hyperloop not working is that you ignore countless cities and countries (that I've listed for you) whom have signed on for various projects based on this idea/technology. It's adorable you still can't face the reality of facts. And holding so desperately to the one article from that mildly backs your continually moving point is just precious.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the hyperloop and all those cities and countries being duped into building one. Elon Musk is a scam artist genius.

Gosh - look at all those companies (four now - FOUR) getting in the scam-cities-and-countries business. They are going to make so much!
    It's been almost two months now since the last post.

Let it go.

You still haven't proven the "dozens of countries" thing. You were already given engineering sources into why it really isn't feasible.

Your head is bigger than your avatar's ego - I'm surprised you even fit through the door to get at your keyboard.

Is your idol Musk still saying the coronavirus isn't such a big deal?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's been almost two months now since the last post.

Let it go.
    Wow - you've got more troubles that we initially thought. The last post was Sept 5 - which is just one month ago, not "almost" two. If you're confused about calendar math, let me know, there are some great links I can give you.

You really ought to let it go while you're still only really far behind, instead of totally lost.

You still haven't proven the "dozens of countries" thing. You were already given engineering sources into why it really isn't feasible.
    I have provided those lists for you, dozens of countries and cities that are gearing up their hyperloop projects. Here's another one I'm sure you'll conveniently ignore, given your panache for avoiding facts and logic/reasoning (maybe there's a youtube video you would watch that would explain how to read links and provide your own? ).

West Virginia to build certification center for Hyperloop. But I guess it's still just a big scam, right?

(holy fuck you suck at this)

Your head is bigger than your avatar's ego - I'm surprised you even fit through the door to get at your keyboard.
    Awwwwww, look who didn't read the avatar, just making your little youtubish assumptions - all bluster and no evidence. So typical of your ilk.

It's sad and pathetic that your kind aren't smart enough or intellectually honest enough to admit when they are wrong. You've been given several links showing not only the veracity of the overall project's science, but how several cities and countries are continuing to sign up for the Hyperloop Projects. It's disappointing that you continue to think this is all just some kind of scam.

Let me know if you have any questions about the science and the dozens of projects that continue to move forward, I'm here to help.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-10-08 at 08:20 PM.

I have provided those lists for you, dozens of countries and cities that are gearing up their hyperloop projects.
    You haven't. Multiple people have called you out on this. Just what do you think "dozens" mean?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    You haven't. Multiple people have called you out on this. Just what do you think "dozens" mean?
    I have, several times. Dozens is more than one dozen.

NO FUCKING THANK YOU! I don't want my brain electrodes to get hacked by China and get 'shut down' for saying the word "Taiwan". Plus, I don't trust these companies to not alter these devices based on government's demands. Just look at Google bending the knee to whatever China wants them to do. And who really believes that the NSA won't have access to whatever data these companies log? Get ready for "Thought Crimes".

People that said "They are going to implant chips in your brains" were called crazy just 10 years ago. And now it's actually happening. How far have we fallen as a society if people are actually excited about this?
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-10-13 at 11:13 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    NO FUCKING THANK YOU! I don't want my brain electrodes to get hacked by China and get 'shut down' for saying the word "Taiwan". Plus, I don't trust these companies to not alter these devices based on government's demands. Just look at Google bending the knee to whatever China wants them to do. And who really believes that the NSA won't have access to whatever data these companies log? Get ready for "Thought Crimes".

People that said "They are going to implant chips in your brains" were called crazy just 10 years ago. And now it's actually happening. How far have we fallen as a society if people are actually excited about this?
    I mean they can't do anything significant with this implant because even with all the neurological knowledge that exists in the world in 2020 they barely understand anything about how the brain functions. Neuralink is just a proof of concept which says they can safely insert electrodes ~3cm deep into one coin sized area of the brain, but there's no evidence that they're remotely close to "hacking" a brain or even solving a major medical issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I mean they can't do anything significant with this implant because even with all the neurological knowledge that exists in the world in 2020 they barely understand anything about how the brain functions. Neuralink is just a proof of concept which says they can safely insert electrodes ~3cm deep into one coin sized area of the brain, but there's no evidence that they're remotely close to "hacking" a brain or even solving a major medical issue.
    That's what the lizard overlords want you to think.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeah, inserting electrodes into the brains of people that dont suffer from a severe disease/major handicap, that the electrodes are meant to ameliorate, is certainly not happening anytime soon on any meaningful scale (ie in non-trials) - and then i use the word 'soon' as liberally as blizzard does. And clinical trials on humans within a year? I'll believe it when i see it, and hardly even then. Sure, this isn't exactly DBS we're talking about, but it's nowhere near as minor a thing as some would like to believe, either. I've inserted my share of electrodes into brains in my day, actually, albeit not into the brains of humans, and doing so outside of some trial or other, without a goooood goddamn reason, is simply fantasy for the foreseeable future.

I have, several times. Dozens is more than one dozen.
    A dozen is 12. Dozens implies at least 24 or greater. You have not listed that many countries or cities, anywhere.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    A dozen is 12. Dozens implies at least 24 or greater. You have not listed that many countries or cities, anywhere.
    I have listed those cities and countries, either directly or through links. I'm not sure why you're choosing this hill to die on, but se la vie.

The real conversation is Kerplunk's argument about the veracity of the technology, and his inability to see how some dipshit youtube video is evidence of anything remotely worth discussing.

Hyperloops are almost literally going up all over the world - 10+ cities in the United States alone are working or developing hyperloop projects.

I have listed those cities and countries, either directly or through links. I'm not sure why you're choosing this hill to die on, but se la vie.

The real conversation is Kerplunk's argument about the veracity of the technology, and his inability to see how some dipshit youtube video is evidence of anything remotely worth discussing.

Hyperloops are almost literally going up all over the world - 10+ cities in the United States alone are working or developing hyperloop projects.
    Where? You have only mentioned several municipalities and a few countries. That's not "dozens".

But they're not - I have not heard of any such project in Aus and NZ for example. Is the UK setting up a Hyperloop? France? Russia? Stop exaggerating please.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where? You have only mentioned several municipalities and a few countries. That's not "dozens".

But they're not - I have not heard of any such project in Aus and NZ for example. Is the UK setting up a Hyperloop? France? Russia? Stop exaggerating please.
    In. This. Thread. Links and names of cities and countries. Oh, and three more came up in the news over the past 2 weeks (and those new ones aren't the countries listed below, just to clarify).

France: yes, here's the link.

U.K.: Looks like they are opting for something different - although they did explore the idea gathering proposals.

Australia: proposal in the works (yes, it's a blog post, but 2/3's down is a quote from the Trade Minister talks about the developing project).

NZ? That's a tiny island nation, with a smallish population - they probably wouldn't need one.

Russia: Project in development.

Dozens.

Let me know if you need me to research more of your questions to prove me right.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-10-16 at 05:21 PM.

In. This. Thread. Links and names of cities and countries. Oh, and three more came up in the news over the past 2 weeks (and those new ones aren't the countries listed below, just to clarify).

U.K.: Looks like they are opting for something different - although they did explore the idea gathering proposals.

Australia: proposal in the works (yes, it's a blog post, but 2/3's down is a quote from the Trade Minister talks about the developing project).

NZ? That's a tiny island nation, with a smallish population - they probably wouldn't need one.

Russia: Project in development.

Dozens.

Let me know if you need me to research more of your questions to prove me right.
    Do you even read what you're linking?

A proposal means nothing, it is essentially a brainstorm idea. Currently there is no Hyperloop being built in Australia - the predicted price tag between Melbourne and Sydney (according to your link) is $40 billion FFS. After an economy hard hit by some of the world's most harsh pandemic restrictions, on top of the already planned rail and highway infrastructure upgrades (some of which are already under construction) - do you honestly think they're going to start throwing billions next year on this thing?

Someone needs to slap you back into reality.

Even if you add them, including test sides (and that's being generous), that still doesn't add up to dozens. You're not very good at math.

That's just a test tube. They made one in Las Vegas years ago, what eventuated from that? Wasn't there supposed to be a Hyperloop between LA and SF? Here's what'll happen: a proposal will be made, then there'll be feasibility studies done. And those studies will find that not only there will be technical issues, but the economic cost will be too great. Take that to the bank, there's a good reason why there's no fully functional Hyperloop anywhere in the world. Do you realise how expensive it is to maintain a vacuum tube that long?

Here's an article further expanding into that. A pertinent quote:
    But as Dan Sperling, founding director of the Institute of Transportation Studies at the University of California, Davis, said: “There’s no way the economics on that would ever work out.”

Mr. Sperling told Al Jazeera that when you factor in capital, labor and maintenance of the Hyperloop, the numbers, “even in the most outlandish visionary way, do not make any sense at all.”

“The whole technology is unproven,” he said. “I know he’s a brilliant guy, but it just doesn’t pencil out.”
    Might want to revisit your expectations there.