Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    I'm admittedly super out of the loop on console storage issues, can't remember the last time i've used my ps4.

If thats true, guess we're screwed both ways on storage then, thats unfortunate.

Don't you still have to fully download AND install a digital game tough? As opposed to much less download and the same install for a disc?
    The game installs while it's downloading, it's a single process. Installing physical games takes almost the same amount of time because it's tied to blueray read speeds and can't install patches until after the disc fully installs. Digital version always downloads the most recent fully patched version from the start. There is very little advantage here unless home internet speed is really bad AND the game doesn't have significant patch data. Also if playing on release date is a thing someone does you can have the game preloaded days in advance and play w/e you want after launch time instead of having to acquire physical somewhere and wait on install to play it.

I'm still a fan of physical collections in some regards but there is no doubt digital on MS/Sony systems is way more convenient.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-10-14 at 10:51 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As an example (albeit an extreme one), FF7 Remake's physical version took around an hour to install. It's certainly not a matter of just popping in the disc and immediately playing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    As an example (albeit an extreme one), FF7 Remake's physical version took around an hour to install. It's certainly not a matter of just popping in the disc and immediately playing anymore.
    Unfortunately, lol.

The games are just too big anymore. On one hand I'm sad I lose disc space and can therefore only have so many games installed and playable, but the alternative is having to wait for ages for the disc reader to read and load the data, that would make certain games completely unplayable and/or make the experience pretty terrible.

Also physical has the added bonus of not running out of install space, and having to either buy more space, or manage what games you have installed at what time, which is getting increasingly more annoying as games get bigger and bigger.
    This is not true. Physical games still need to be installed before you play them so you absolutely do run out of install space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    That is not a "system" and is technically a violation of ToS since it involves account sharing. The short and skinny of it is when you buy the digital license you are able to play it on the PS4 registered as that account's primary PS4 regardless of what account you're logged into, and another person can play it on any PS4 by being logged into the account that purchased the game.

It's a loophole in the way the DRM works, Sony probably won't fix it because it would screw over more honest people then the ones exploiting it.

- - - Updated - - -

This hasn't been true for 7 years now on Sony and MS consoles. Nintendo physical games, yea this is a thing but no PS4 or Xbox One game is playing off a damn blueray disc lmao, they fully install to the hdd, just like with next gen they will fully install to the SSD.
    I see, well, nevermind about that then.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how do I actually go about pre-ordering one of these? I could wait around in line on launch day, but if I can I would rather get myself on a list to have it shipped to my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    So how do I actually go about pre-ordering one of these? I could wait around in line on launch day, but if I can I would rather get myself on a list to have it shipped to my home.
    At this point, it seems unlikely that you'll find any online pre-orders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    At this point, it seems unlikely that you'll find any online pre-orders.
    Well, waiting in line for a physical one isn't exactly a nightmare. I just hate trying to figure out that sweet spot between spending ALL DAY at the store and getting there too late to get one of the only 5 or so consoles.

- - - Updated - - -

And isn't the point of pre-orders to get on a waiting list? Why doesn't anyone have any?

idk about in other countries but retailers in US right now are saying they won't have any for walk ins, only if you preordered online for in store pickup. So there is no line up to get them, and probably by design that retailers are allocating their entire stock to online preorders so they don't have 100 people lining up outside of every store during what will likely be a Nov covid peak.

10+ Year Old Account
    So no online waiting lists, no physical only units, where the hell are people supposed to BUY them? Just wait until demand is low enough that all units aren't immediately sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Unfortunately, lol.

The games are just too big anymore. On one hand I'm sad I lose disc space and can therefore only have so many games installed and playable, but the alternative is having to wait for ages for the disc reader to read and load the data, that would make certain games completely unplayable and/or make the experience pretty terrible.

This is not true. Physical games still need to be installed before you play them so you absolutely do run out of install space.
    Ya i'm learning, it's been a LONG time since i've touched a non-nintendo console.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    So no online waiting lists, no physical only units, where the hell are people supposed to BUY them? Just wait until demand is low enough that all units aren't immediately sold?
    So like pretty much every console launch ever, yes =)

Kind of but not exactly. When PS4 went up for preorder on amazon that shit lasted half the day for example, compared to modern times where the PS5 was sold out by bots in minutes. COVID also makes it so big retailers don't want mass gatherings on launch day so have put their entire allotments online many of which again, bought by bots.

It also can't be a situation of lower stock then the PS5 because Sony actually plans to ship more PS5s then they did PS4s by the same time at end of FY and if you look at numbers like Gamstop had in allotments the PS5 stock is way more available then the Xbox Series stock is, more then double actually. This is demand and scalper bots on a unprecedented scale and you can't really compare it to past console launches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Here is the story of how I got my launch-day PS4.

My shift ended at midnight, and I couldn't get the day off of work. They DID let me go 5 minutes early, which I used to book it to the nearest store, K-Mart. They had 10 consoles, and I was 11th in line. I waited anyway, thinking maybe someone's card would get declined. No such luck. I did buy a copy of Assassin's Creed 4 and a controller for the future, so it wasn't a total loss. Then I had the idea to call my grandpa, I knew he stayed up almost all night and lived fairly close to a small town Wal-Mart and asked him if he could check, just in case. He did, THE NEXT MORNING. I guess I didn't stress the importance of time. The crazy thing is, THEY ACTUALLY HAD ONE. I got my PS4 thanks to a favor from my grandfather, who just strolled into Wal-Mart the DAY AFTER LAUNCH DAY and bought one like it was no big deal.

This is nothing like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ps5 actually has launch games so the demand is already higher than ps4

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    And unlike ps4 sony is censoring games. It's crazy that xbox is selling out in japan while japanese devs bail on sony. Moving to California was sonys worst mistake. I'll wait to see if sony continues this trend. Because nintendo did the same thing in the 90s. Ironically one of the things that helped the playstation out.
    I dont like it either, but if its just panties i dont care all that much. Im getting an xbox as well in case more jump ship anyway

It's crazy that xbox is selling out in japan
    They sold out 1000 systems! POG

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I dont like it either, but if its just panties i dont care all that much. Im getting an xbox as well in case more jump ship anyway
    Most Japanese devs won't even give Xbox systems a late port unless Phil Spencer cuts them a check to do so. lol @ "jump ship".

And unlike ps4 sony is censoring games.
    While I don't support the decision, I've actually worked on games impacted by it. It's lame, but it's also blown way out of proportion IMO.

Moving to California was sonys worst mistake.
    Literally has nothing to do whatsoever with their Redwood City offices. I can't get into more detail, but this directive did not come from the US based on everything I know.

15+ Year Old Account
    They sold out 1000 systems! POG

- - - Updated - - -

Most Japanese devs won't even give Xbox systems a late port unless Phil Spencer cuts them a check to do so. lol @ "jump ship".
    Galgun is moving over to xbox. Disgaea 6 is skipping ps4 in the us. More may follow

Galgun is moving over to xbox.
    Oh man, sony losing out on 50k perverts what will they ever do? Not to mention it's a franchise that started out as an Xbox 360 exclusive, nobody cared about it then and nobody cares about it now.

Disgaea 6 is skipping ps4 in the us. More may follow
    Because Disgaea 5 sold like shit on the ps4 and sold well on the Switch. Nintendo only had to pay NISA peanuts to make it a timed exclusive in the west since it's PS4 sales would be so small to begin with. Also there is no xbox version so why even name drop it? Xbox got galgun though! lmao
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-10-16 at 02:44 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, sony losing out on 50k perverts what will they ever do? Not to mention it's a franchise that started out as an Xbox 360 exclusive, nobody cared about it then and nobody cares about it now.

Because Disgaea 5 sold like shit on the ps4 and sold well on the Switch. Also there is no xbox version so why even name drop it? Xbox got galgun though! lmao
    If games arent coming to ps4/5, I have to get them elsewhere. It's as simple as that

If games arent coming to ps4/5, I have to get them elsewhere. It's as simple as that
    Imagine buying a $500 system to play galgun.

The system seller of all system sellers.

Listing it as a game of relevance is ridiculous, it's as simple as that.