Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Paid it myself. Sometimes shoplifted gamecards, sometimes other stuff which I sold to kids at my school and ofc summer jobs etc.. My parents didn't pay anything for me, specially stuff that they didn't deem "worthy" like my fathers dream to make me into a hockeyplayer.

7+ Year Old Account
    With my mom credit card. If i had some money i gave her cash. She gave me card thats it. Prepaid cards were used also. Thats the early begnin. Before TBC i get a job and pay on my own.

Poor from an underdeveloped country, of course private servers were the only option. As soon as I got a job I was able to enjoy official retail. And it was glorious. Until Ion ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Most of us started WoW at a very young age, and we didn't have our own credit cards. How did you pay for WoW when you were young? I basically had a friend pay for me, because he owed me monies. What about you?
    Living in Germany, most people don't have CCs here. Just bought the plastic prepaid cards until I was 16, then I got my first bank account and simply used Lastschriftverfahren

10+ Year Old Account
    So many ppl here saying "I was old enough to have a credit card to pay for myself!" Well the thread says how did you pay for WoW as a teen. If you never was a teenager playing WoW no need to comment.

Anyways I was fortunate enough to have my mom pay for it. Didn't ask for it though as my parents were traditionally against all sub based games. Kind of a silly story really. Her co-worker had bought wrong box for her son (vanilla and they wanted expansion) so my mom wanted to help her out and offered to buy the game from her to mitigate the loss. I didn't even know what WoW was when my mom randomly asked if I wanted to play some game called World of Warcraft. Hell yeah new game. Here I am still. Waiting for Shadowlands.

Started to play in 2009 at the age of 16, back then i recieved abaut 90€ per month dou to my cancerous father's death so i used that money to pay WoW and my cigarett addiction. Today i pay everything out of my own pocket

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    Why so snarky to him, yes we are here and have been here for 10+ years

- - - Updated - - -

Please share your demographic data

If you think about it, a responsible 16 year old should have at least a part time job to earn money and buy cards at gamestop. I had a CC at 15 actually to start building credit (yes co-signed). So those people don't have to be 40, only 31 or so. So I am not so sure that this foam is majority people who were 14 or younger. But hey could be wrong.
    I think I don't know a single person personally that worked part time with 16.

my parents paid for it until tbc. started working at that time, so i payed for it myself.

Most of us started WoW at a very young age, and we didn't have our own credit cards. How did you pay for WoW when you were young? I basically had a friend pay for me, because he owed me monies. What about you?
    I am a boomer lol, I was 22 when WoW released and was working beside uni.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was 29 in '04. I picked at the time to play WoW even though it was considered the carebear/kiddy game vs the other games at the time like EQ, etc...

Mom paid for it, until I started high school which gave us students around 200 bucks a month with which I paid with
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    Why so snarky to him, yes we are here and have been here for 10+ years

- - - Updated - - -

Please share your demographic data

If you think about it, a responsible 16 year old should have at least a part time job to earn money and buy cards at gamestop. I had a CC at 15 actually to start building credit (yes co-signed). So those people don't have to be 40, only 31 or so. So I am not so sure that this foam is majority people who were 14 or younger. But hey could be wrong.
    I don't know where you're getting that from, but most 16 year olds don't have jobs...nor are they responsible.

often had chargebacks or an overdrawn current account for young people. sometimes I secretly paid via the provider. back then, you could do it via t-mobile, until my parents found it.

man, when i think back on it.... now I'm 31. I was around 15 when I started playing.

I used to account share with my 2 brothers and my sister. Jup, 4 people 1 account. They handled the payment and I was playing for free.

Eventually my brothers split off to have their own accounts and I shared one with my sister, she had a job at that point and was just paying for me. Again, playing for free.

At some point we decided to split up aswel, but she had automatic renewel on the sub active. I told her to disable it and if she didn't I would pay her back. Note my sister is one of the people you really need to motivate to do something else it doesn't happen. She agreed to this and didn't disable it for another 3-4 years.

Eventually she did disable it and I paid her back the last year of subcost. So for all of my teens I played for free by lifting of either my brothers and my sister or just from my sister. I was really lucky in that regards.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't a kid back then, so I paid for it with the job I had.

I worked and earned my own money at the weekend when I started playing WoW (2005~ when I was 16) and in the UK we got "Solo" Debit cards which weren't accepted in many places back then but Blizzard did accept them which was useful

15+ Year Old Account
    Worked part time from 16 so just paid for it myself.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the UK, I'd had a debit card since I was 16 (they were new then - the US didn't get them until much later I think), which in the UK meant you didn't need a credit card to just buy stuff, so I didn't have one for a very long time. WoW came out in the US when I was 26, so not a teenager like some of you guys. But I didn't have a credit card, because I hadn't needed one. Even in the US, where I was living at the time, which was largely pre-debit-card, I had just been using cash - you could get money out in the US at certain banks and currency exchanges, with a debit card.

So despite being old enough, I ended up using a European site where you bought game time cards for WoW, and they emailed you the codes, because they'd accept my debit card (also, bizarrely, the first few months of NA WoW, Blizzard did accept my debit card just fine - but then they stopped, I think around when EU WoW came out). It was probably woefully insecure and I'm lucky I didn't get ripped off. Eventually I reluctantly got a credit card for practicality's sake.

5+ Year Old Account
    Out of my own college broke ass pockets.
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2020-10-16 at 01:50 PM.

Daddy/grandpa bank :P