Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Clearly it would've been better with more liberty.

/s
    I'm hoping the moose go full libertarian next time.

I wonder, will their approach be more philosophical than the bears? I mean the bears, went full Rothbard mode on those people.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2020-10-16 at 01:47 PM.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What caused the shift of libertarian from its original liberal roots, to seeming almost far right?
    Adam Smith came out with certain core ideas that he could never have imagined how far extrapolated they would have gone. He'd likely be horrified at the global hegemony some mega corps represent.

10+ Year Old Account
    This looks a lot like partisan propaganda.

Comparing a libertarian to a anarchist is a silly as calling democrats communists or republicans fascists .... okay maybe the last one is starting to hold true.

Being a Libertarian is more about personal freedoms and holding the government accountable with spending and taxes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post

Comparing a libertarian to a anarchist is a silly as calling democrats communists or republicans fascists .... okay maybe the last one is starting to hold true. But being a Libertarian is more about personal freedoms and holding the government accountable with spending and taxes.
    'Taxation is theft' is about holding the Gov't accountable? 'Keep the Gov't out of my life' isn't anarchy?

Being a Libertarian is more about personal freedoms and holding the government accountable with spending and taxes.
    Sounds vague enough to apply to most political leanings.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    'Taxation is theft' is about holding the Gov't accountable? 'Keep the Gov't out of my life' isn't anarchy?
    Most reasonable libertarians find that phrase nonsense and understand the importance of most taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Sounds vague enough to apply to most political leanings.
    More of less each one has their contempt to different vices.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-10-16 at 04:32 PM.

You can have a dozen libertarians in the room and they'd give a dozen different interpretations/definitions to libertarianism. But they'd all ude the same buzzwords, such as "freedom," and personal responsibility," which are meaningless...and when it comes to what it really means is they want the freedom to fuck over others without consequence...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You can have a dozen libertarians in the room and they'd give a dozen different interpretations/definitions to libertarianism. But they'd all ude the same buzzwords, such as "freedom," and personal responsibility," which are meaningless...and when it comes to what it really means is they want the freedom to fuck over others without consequence...
    Fucking over someone else would infringe the freedom of that person so no that isn't Libertarianism.

Fucking over someone else would infringe the freedom of that person so no that isn't Libertarianism.
    Big business laughs at you.

- - - Updated - - -

The Free State Project (FSP) is a political migration movement founded in 2001 to recruit at least 20,000 libertarians to move to a single low-population state (New Hampshire, selected in 2003) in order to make the state a stronghold for libertarian ideas.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hence the old joke that there are more types of Libertarianism than there are libertarians
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    But they still want the freedom to do so, and then place the onus of defense upon the person they just infringed to prove that an infringement actually happened, and that it was egregious enough to warrant all this trouble.

You play No True Libertarian every day, but functionally libertarianism boils down to a reduction in government to the degree that the government is unable to actually protect its citizens, and place the burden of protection back on the individual. Many libertarians will often reference the "Wild West" (as shown in movies) as their ideal system of government. Little to no state control, definitely no federal control where people solve their differences by shooting one another. This is why libertarian movements are so often populated by gun-nuts and whackjobs.

"reasonable libertarians" are by and large Republicans, or vote for Republicans. Which only reinforces the hypocrisy of their position since the people they actually support are constantly trying to use big government to enforce their private morality on others.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Most reasonable libertarians find that phrase nonsense and understand the importance of most taxes.

More of less each one has their contempt to different vices.
    I can't say I have found many reasonable libertarians most of the ones I have met constantly parrot the taxation is theft nonsense.

It's a shame none of them show up to the party convention.

Comparing a libertarian to a anarchist is a silly as calling democrats communists or republicans fascists .... okay maybe the last one is starting to hold true.

I don't believe all libertarians are anarchists, but calling that silly is just absurd to me. If you can't see how many libertarians are essentially anarchists I wonder if you have spoken with anyone who claims to be one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I.e. being of the belief that inaction in the face of systemic injustice is acceptable as long as a) you personally are not "responsible", and b) all parties involved give the appearance of consent regardless of how bad the deal is in practice.

Libertarianism is an ideology of the privileged who have constructed a mythos that because their principle benefit from society is indirect and not immediately monetarily quantifiable they are therefore less "dependent" on society. Which is a blatant crock of shit, lol.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-10-16 at 09:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account

Because it partisan propaganda presented pushed by charlatans.

Its hard to digest what might be a valuable story when it's presented in such a dishonest manner.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-10-16 at 10:30 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Well, the original liberty was just for holders of property.
    You win...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's a shame none of them show up to the party convention.
    I mean the concept of a libertarian convention seems self defeating.

It's a political belief that if practiced within reason I respect and can see the benefits of but it can't ever be productive beyond moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    "No true libertarian"
    One of the main Libertarians in the failed town. Ran for governor as a libertarian on a few occasions.

In true commitment to the cause. He died in a house fire, after disregarding laws about use and storage of Residential Heating Oil.
    Lived like a libertarian ... died like a libertarian.
    Ok, i will be that guy but it twists my nipples to no end to see ANCAPS hijacking the historically far left term of libertarianism.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Thank you for showing us this. This is genuinely one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. God damn.
    At least they're having fun with it.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief