Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya View Post
    Can't speak on AvP but the RE movies cleaned up in Asia so they just kept doing the same thing over and over and it just kept making money. I'm 100% not surprised that Capcom gave him the rights.
    Reminds me of an interview with Anthony Mackie awhile back where he lamented the fact that Hollywood makes movies for children and china now.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    this is the type of a movie you just don't watch for the plot... and they get the job done

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Still dont understand how he could direct Event Horizon and then went to Resident Evil and Alien vs Predator.
    To be fair, the first couple of RE movies were okay, and the first AvP was probably as good as that concept could get.

But yeah, this guy goes for cheesy franchises because he knows he can turn them into profitable, dumb action movies, and most people won't care he's dragging those franchises through the mud.

Its seems faithful to the games. The portal idea has happened in mhw with witcher and ffxiv crossover. I just see this as an irl crossover with mh. But, that god damn rookie ass sniper with his scope eye closed. Like wtf.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Milla Jovovich should try staring in a movie not directed by her husband, cause this duo is a trainwreck. And her husband hasn't made a good movie in like 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    To be fair, the first couple of RE movies were okay, and the first AvP was probably as good as that concept could get.
    While I agree that the first couple of RE movies were okay..(and entertaining to me, even the 3rd movie set in the desert), AvP was not. Had they adapted the comic which was set on another planet...a woman of Japanese descent going toe-to-toe with an alien...all defense obviously, while a predator hunter-leader watching with evident admiration, now that would have been far better. (How that movie ended was too stupid for words, as opposed to the comic book ending with the woman leading a pack of predators against an alien nest)

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm so going to watch this on the big screen.
    Mostly because Milla Jovovich who's absolutely gorgeous, but also Tony Jaa is fun. But yeah, Milla, yeah, definitely why.
    And probably going to rate it 8/10 because I'm a sucker for Mi... I mean sci-fi. Sci-fi as well.
    Couldn't care less about the video game though.

i'll probably enjoy it.. not sure why pretentious people always whine about these types of movies.. they're clearly not for them.
    yet they all flock to watch them.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    While I agree that the first couple of RE movies were okay..(and entertaining to me, even the 3rd movie set in the desert), AvP was not. Had they adapted the comic which was set on another planet...a woman of Japanese descent going toe-to-toe with an alien...all defense obviously, while a predator hunter-leader watching with evident admiration, now that would have been far better. (How that movie ended was too stupid for words, as opposed to the comic book ending with the woman leading a pack of predators against an alien nest)
    That story line really wouldn’t work for a first AVP movie it really doesn’t add up with the predator movies and would need more setup that one movie could give.

Mabye if they had planned a trilogy or something so they could do proper build up
    It would work but not as a one off.

Looks like cheap schlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    That story line really wouldn’t work for a first AVP movie it really doesn’t add up with the predator movies and would need more setup that one movie could give.

Mabye if they had planned a trilogy or something so they could do proper build up
    It would work but not as a one off.
    I'd have it open up from a board meeting from the 2nd aliens movie, mentioning another planet that was being terraformed and studied.
    But yeah, it'd probably be a one off since the producers are determined to make predators an enemy alien race. (And a rather stupid race too)

So how do you lock onto a giant monster with a rocket launcher that has no lock on features?
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Aaaaaaaand the trailer...

a bazooka?!?!? REALLY

I mean, by the looks of it it seems like it doesn't work...which is the segway to them getting hunter weapons.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Milla Jovovich. Really.
    Hi

Well of course this won't copy the game. But from what I see here it will be some action packed movie where you switch your brain off and enjoy the CGI and action scenes (and probably some cringy jokes). Everything becomes a bit better when you stop looking for a perfectly written story in a Hollywood blockbuster talking about gigantic monsters vs US Army, Savior of the Universe.

We all know it won't make sense from A to Z. But it will probably be fun enough to be a one-time watch. It won't be a masterpiece, but I don't think it aims to be one.

I watched the movie yesterday,... and it's about what you would expect from a Paul W.S. Anderson movie. In one word "meh".

A quick plot summary (spoilers ofc):
    The plot is pretty predictable and forgettable as a whole.
    2 army cars, containing stereotype characters (Alice... oh sorry Artemis, a white college-boy soiler, an asian soilder, a black soilder, a mexican soilder and a lesbian soilder) drive into a dubious storm and get thrown into a MH world. All soilders, but Alice, are taken out within the 1st 20 minutes of the film.

Alice then meets a lone hunter, who teaches her "hunting MH style" within what seems like a day?? Of course despite a language barrier.
    They then take out a Nerscylla to get it's venom and then the Diabolos with that venom.
    This knocks out the hunter. Alice pulls him on a scale trough the desert and takes care of him till he wakes up.

They come into an oasis where a Ranthalos causes a stampede of herbivore monsters. This is where Perlman's (of course Perlman's character speaks english so he can explain the world in a few sentences) crew saves them.
    We get a quick introduction to Perlman's crew, including a nasty cat-person.
    They then climb a mountain with a temple where they initiate a fight with the Ranthalos. We see some unnamed hunters get taken out and then Alice gets knocked into a portal to our world. The ranthalos follows her trough and takes out a lot of soilders using modern-day tactics/weapons. Alice steps up and kills it MH style.
    The hunter and Perlman's character show up to help (too late). We then see a black dragon monster fly towards them and them charging it. The end.

The pacing of the movie is all over the place. The 1st 10 minutes are slow, introducing the initial crew, then you get 10 incredibly hectic minutes and then about 30 minutes of a slog-fest.... which then pretty much continues in a similar fashion.

The acting is... well what you'd expect.
    Jovovič does the usual Alice performance; cocky white female with a splash of american soilder personality.
    Perlman does his usual thing too; older action hero, who explains things... not much beyond that.
    The hunter's actor does perhaps the best work, actually expressing any emotions, albeit in a rather overdone, asian fashion.
    The rest of the actors get so little screen-time there's no point in listing them.

Overall this movie is hard to present itself as anything beyond an introduction of what "monster hunter" is... and the director once again showing off his wife. Pretty forgetable.
    Last edited by Zmagoslav; 2020-12-13 at 08:27 AM.