Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you consider yourself a good cook?

if you want Beans on Toast then yes

anything else No

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call myself an average cook.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I'm a good cook for anyone who can willingly eat what I make..

I will give me 80 marks out of 100 in cooking.

3+ Year Old Account
    Could I walk into a restaurant and be a good commis under someones wing? I would struggle.

Could I cook on a regular basis for other people with dishes from a variety of cuisines and have it passable? Yes. I think I'm a good home cook, but I'd stop short of saying "yeah I'm amazing at cooking."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say decent, not great by any means, but decent enough where I can eat my own food.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Yes,not great,but really decent,I can bake bread/rolls,cookies,cakes,pies,etc.

Well, I've never poisoned anyone (much unlike many restaurants), and I'm good at cooking a few simple but tasty dishes. I'm getting pretty good at barbecuing, too. Just don't get me to cook stuff that requires hours because I'm both short on the patience department and forgetful, so I'm prone to mess up the timing on way or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Well, I've never poisoned anyone (much unlike many restaurants), and I'm good at cooking a few simple but tasty dishes. I'm getting pretty good at barbecuing, too. Just don't get me to cook stuff that requires hours because I'm both short on the patience department and forgetful, so I'm prone to mess up the timing on way or the other.
    Haha, well, then I'm also good at cooking. I prefer veggies and healthy food in general.

Generally speaking,it depends on my mood at the time.if I am in a happy mood,i will focus on cooking.i think the food prepared in this way is delicious.

I consider myself a very good cook, although all my friends say that I am a great cook. I don't really believe them

Considering it's my profession I'd hope so.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Considering it's my profession I'd hope so.
    i take it youve never seen kitchen nightmares? :P

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    i take it youve never seen kitchen nightmares? :P
    That show has made me hate microwaves so much.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

No, but I do sometimes like to try things and 90% of the time its turns out tasting good.

5+ Year Old Account
    I only know how to make the basic things:

Cereal with milk? Check!
    Cook an egg? Check!
    Boil water? Check!

That's about it.

(my parents feed me thru a trough.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    That show has made me hate microwaves so much.
    yeah i threw mine away years ago because it was making me lazier than i already was and i love home cooked food

on topic, i can follow a recipe and they turn out well as long as the recipe itself is good. as someone above said, i would not be able to work in any restaurant above a pub grub chain like wetherspoons.

to be honest, im even not sure which hob to use when it says 'fry on a medium heat' and i have 3 different size hobs so maybe no actually

Yes, I am an excellent "cook".

I went to culinary school; Le Cordon Bleu and Institute Of Culinary Education. I worked in professional fine dining kitchens in Manhattan, Mexico City, Chicago, and Miami.

The last kitchen I worked in was Blackbird. Which sadly, has closed due to the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yes, I am an excellent "cook".

I went to culinary school; Le Cordon Bleu and Institute Of Culinary Education. I worked in professional fine dining kitchens in Manhattan, Mexico City, Chicago, and Miami.

The last kitchen I worked in was Blackbird. Which sadly, has closed due to the pandemic.
    i cant believe im asking this here but you seem like a really good person to ask

if i am told to fry something at medium heat, which hob do i use? i have 3, a tiny one, a large one and 2 medium ones i can upload a pic of my hob if needed

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    i cant believe im asking this here but you seem like a really good person to ask

if i am told to fry something at medium heat, which hob do i use? i have 3, a tiny one, a large one and 2 medium ones i can upload a pic of my hob if needed
    This depends on a lot of factors actually. Not all ranges output the same BTUs regardless of the size of the burner.

You can cook anything on "medium heat" relative to the burner. It's literally just saying 2/3rds of the output of that particular burner. If you were to observe the output at max (the highest output it can go) and the lower (lowest output, natch) then the medium would be about between those extremes.

It's more important that you are cooking with the required technique for the result you are looking for; sauteeing, sweating, searing, etc. These are just different applications, not necessarily temperatures of the range or relative to the size of the burner.

For example, if I said you should saute your onions that generally means cooking in shallow oil, frying, whereby the water is evaporating quickly from the product (you can hear it, the sizzle). But by sauteing you are not submerging the onions (deep fat frying), frying (moderate oil, steady fry), or water boiling, steaming, etc. It's not so much a temperature; it's the method.

What the different size burners do/are for, is to allow you to transfer heat most efficiently to the vessel. Put a small pan on the largest burner, you lose a lot of thermal energy on the sides (which is not what is the main cooking surface), too big a pan on a small burner and the heat distribution is all in the center and will cause your food to brown/cook unevenly depending on placement in the pan.

You want to place the vessel on the burner which is most closely aligned to the size of the bottom. Big pan/pot, larger burner. Small pan/pot, smaller burner, etc.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-10-18 at 10:38 PM.