Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Nah.

It's more than that. Most people, including Muslims, can handle a little mockery without becoming super violent. There's a deeper pathological issue with the nuts who go out and perpetrate these crimes. I'm not fond of religion, but it takes real psychological mental illness to be in a state where you commit premeditated murder over criticism of your world view.
    its because they made one single aspect of what should be a whole personality their entire reason for existing, its good old fashioned fanaticism. it sad ultimately no cause, no identity should ever be a persons only cause, reason or identity.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-17 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I am already amused by the general direction this thread is taking. Chu chu the racism train is already leaving the station.
    Train is right, because in GenOT the threads always go in this same direction.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Considering they shot the attacker dead, I don't know what else they could do to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Destroy the brain to prevent him becoming a zombie? Drive a wooden stake through his heart in case he is a vampire?

I am already amused by the general direction this thread is taking. Chu chu the racism train is already leaving the station.
    Dunno whats really racist about not wanting this to happen again.
    Please enduldge me.
    Maybe I missed some.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-trump-brexit

macron needs to do anything he can do to stop the right
    maybe some mass deportations, bombings in the ME, drop a nuke on syria
    anything to prevent the far right winning , macron is very machevellian so i have hope he will do things to prevent le pen and her russian stooges from winning off populism like america did by framing macron as weak on immigration hell build a wall i dont even care anymore we can save virtues until after fascism is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Nah.

It's more than that. Most people, including Muslims, can handle a little mockery without becoming super violent. There's a deeper pathological issue with the nuts who go out and perpetrate these crimes. I'm not fond of religion, but it takes real psychological mental illness to be in a state where you commit premeditated murder over criticism of your world view.
    No,not really it just takes a different culture. Look at witch burnings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Train is right, because in GenOT the threads always go in this same direction.
    I mean I'm not seeing much racism... I don't actually see any it's mostly slander towards religion. Being a Muslim isn't a physical trait your born with.

What makes this a terror attack versus a normal homicide? I am confused.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    The cause of the attack was likely that teacher showed an image that was offensive to the terrorist.

There's a repeated pattern that people showing similar depictions are killed and/or threatened to be killed; i.e. an intent to instil fear (i.e. terror) in the general population against showing such images - threatening the freedom of expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The cause of the attack was likely that teacher showed an image that was offensive to the terrorist.

There's a repeated pattern that people showing similar depictions are killed and/or threatened to be killed; i.e. an intent to instil fear (i.e. terror) in the general population against showing such images - threatening the freedom of expression.
    Well that is the assumptionby the french police correct? They have no evidence to back that up?

Well that is the assumptionby the french police correct? They have no evidence to back that up?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54579403

Back up what?

That the victim had showed such images to the class? There should be several students being eye-witnesses backing up that part.
    Additionally parents had complained to the school.
    That the terrorist was influenced by this? His action and statements during the attack back up that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    what logic is this? lol... it doesn't get bigger if it happens in paris or a small town...
    Sure. ‘Paris attack’ has the same ring to it as ‘murder in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine‘ lol

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Sure. ‘Paris attack’ has the same ring to it as ‘murder in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine‘ lol
    It's in the greater Paris area, about the same distance from the Paris city center as CDG.

When you fly to CDG you often say you are flying to Paris, not to Roissy.
    And if the international press hadn't reported it as 'Paris attack' it would likely have been 'attack in France' instead.

"Paris attack" is just to hark back to the Bataclan event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Religions that don't mature
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-10-19 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Minor Trolling

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54579403

Back up what?

That the victim had showed such images to the class? There should be several students being eye-witnesses backing up that part.
    Additionally parents had complained to the school.
    That the terrorist was influenced by this? His action and statements during the attack back up that.
    I think you are making the mistake of taking opinion as evidence. Now the images were shown in class and the attacker is a muslim, so the assumption of the western media is that they are linked. But is there any evidence that they are linked? What is the time between the pictures and the attack? Based on the BBC article did the student stay or leave? Did the student state that he was offended by the pictures? Did he indicate to any body at any point that the pictures were linked in anyway with his desire to hurt or kill the teacher?

I mean these are obvious questions to ask in this situation. The assumption and I make this clear is that the assumption by media and the police is that the pictures are the reason for the attack. But is there an actual evidence?

I mean for all we know the teacher could been killed becuase he molested the student. Or because the teacher cursed out his mom. Or even worse he said that Star Trek Voyager was the best Star Trek series.

So far there is no evidence to indicate what is the reason for the attack. What we have is people seeing the religion of the student and assuming it was about the picture and thus its terrorism.

I think you are making the mistake of taking opinion as evidence.
    No, I'm using evidence as evidence and beyond reasonable doubt as a the burden of proof, not 'beyond unreasonable doubt'.

I'm not sure if you are putting on an act or not, but if you really want to disprove the terrorism angle you are free to go to that suburb and walk around with one of those caricature from Charlie Hebdo and show that there is nothing to fear.

Unless you do that I will not deign you with a reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    you think he just was a mentally ill person targeting random people and happened to target a teacher that showed such pictures totally by accident? just happenstance it was that teacher?
    Agreed, but I still want to say that there is something problematic in that reply:

Mentally ill people are in general not violent, and normally not a threat to others - and that perception (created by apologists) is actually unfairly stigmatising the mentally ill making it less likely that they get help and the support they need.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo_shooting

So just history repeating itself. But French do have a more sense of humor unlike other countrys.

snip.
    wot the fuck, some teacher showed the charlie hebdo cartoon of mo, to teach some freedom of expression stuff.

some 18 year old took offense, chopped the dudes head off, posted pictures on social media, and started shouting allah ackbar and then got slotted.

i mean its not complitcated that this is an extremist killing someone.

To be honest I was expecting certain people to come in and say how the teacher deserved it. The sorts of people I was expecting it from have instead went down the line of "It wasn't Paris!" as if that was the only thing that mattered or "damn racism in this thread!". That second part, I do agree that before long it will descend into "GET RID OF THEM ALL" or arguments like that (e.g. all Muslims are a threat), however so far there isn't really much in the way of that (at the time of writing). If your idea of defending Muslims from hate is to say "nothing to see here, move along....bigot!", you will end up with the worst of all worlds. I mean that as a general societal response, this thread will just be locked.

It seems highly likely the attack was related to the images. Fucking crazy that people get butchered for showing a cartoon. Don't know what else to say, when you boil it right down that is what seems to have happened, no matter how some will try to spin it (waiting on certain ones coming in to make the decapitator the real victim). I don't expect it will be the last attack like this France see's any time soon either. However I should add that it is still worth remembering that these attacks don't happen every day.

I was listening to a podcast with a historian and they touched on Islamic terror and the US v Europe (especially western Europe). The historian pondered if there is less of an issue with this form of extremist violence in the US (tends to be political extremism, mostly on the far right) than in Europe because even though the US is very christian, they are still big on religious faith, and many still see some as better than none, whereas in western Europe, it has become much more secular and disrespecting of religion as a whole. Well this was his argument at least, and wondered if it was harder in the US to become radicalised due to a more faith friendly society. It was an angle I hadn't pondered, don't know if there is anything to it but I found it interesting. I hope there isn't anything to it.
    Last edited by tehealadin; 2020-10-17 at 10:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

It's in the greater Paris area, about the same distance from the Paris city center as CDG.

When you fly to CDG you often say you are flying to Paris, not to Roissy.
    And if the international press hadn't reported it as 'Paris attack' it would likely have been 'attack in France' instead.
    At least "attack in france" would be correct. Not the most accurate but still correct. "attack in paris" is false. Even if you think 25km is not that far, conflans or roissy are NOTHING like Paris... hell, even Nanterre or Argenteuil, less than 10km from Paris, are nothing like the capital... maybe its the same for people who dont live in the area, its definitly not when you live there...

7+ Year Old Account
    The definition of terrorism is very vague, and lots of things can qualify for it. In this case the murder was done for political reasons against a civilian, with the only apparent purpose being to dissuade others for doing something that the murderer found distasteful (showing a picture of Muhammad). Essentially, they murderer committed an unlawful action with the intent of intimidating civilians into compliance with their belief.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief