Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    WHOA! This is the first I've heard of this. Are you saying there was less lag on pirate servers than WoW Classic when it comes to large scale PvP? Tell me more about this.
    The last big server before classic launch. 14k active players at launch. No crashes. No lag. No layers. No player limits in silithus :>

https://youtu.be/wUY7jlchIrA

Server is opensource and the code is still being maintained under a different name with approxiamately 4k commits since. Also supports the 1.11, 1.10, 1.9, 1.8, 1.7 and 1.6 client.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    personally I don't care about players, and classic = vanilla...
    No, not at all. I played during retail vanilla - and i didn't clear raids with 1.12 talents, spells and itemizations. There has been so many changes during vanilla - and sticking to the last patch was a bad idea. Every major patch had nerfs, and with 1.12 you get all the accumulated nerfs.

We did not have pet/weapon normalization from the start of vanilla. The gear was scaled differently - the tier sets is a good example.

Anyone that played a paladin before the revamp can tell you how much is changed. That was a messed up class :>

You are either ignorant or trolling.
    Last edited by Funkyjunky; 2020-10-17 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I don't recall vanilla having boosts, contemporary bro-gamers, etc.
    you played on nostralius but never saw anyone get boosted?

lol

I don't think you had any idea what was going on in those p servers

They changed the way XP works in classic, making it harder to p level

In real vanilla you'd get boosts on your own with engineering. You drop group, tag all mobs, get solo xp, let boost destroy mobs, rinse repeat.

That doesn't work in classic, which is why you see all these boosting groups. They changed the way you boost to making it harder not easier

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    It has nothing to do with the version or how it was implemented tbh. If WoW was released exactly like classic back in 2004 everything would have felt extremely similar. It’s the community of min maxers that changed the pace and turned it into what it is today.

Don’t let anyone tell you it’s blizzards fault. It’s 100% the players.
    This, 100%. Even the widespread and rampant botting is the PLAYERS fault. Those bot runners would not have a market to sell in if people were not buying gold.
    Last edited by Bootynuzzler; 2020-10-17 at 07:26 PM.

The top guilds on classic consist of many players from the top guilds on Nostalrius and other private servers. Nobody is the same person they were in 2005 and most of the people who did play Vanilla in 2005 can't/don't play it now, those players on Nostalrius are the same ones playing Classic and most of them were almost definitely NOT Vanilla players.

If you played Classic in the first week you could find people to group up and quest with at any moment, dungeon groups gallore, it was no different to a fresh private server. But as time moves on and the playerbase is higher level all those things change, exactly the same thing happens on private servers, Nostalrius was killed just as it got popular so didn't even live to that phase.

Boost culture may suck, but it along with account trading and other shady stuff exists/existed on private servers too. It's not 2005 anymore, you can relive the game but you can't relive 2005.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

7+ Year Old Account
    So has Classic successfully recaptured the vanilla mage of old? From the little time I spent on thei game, it was less social and friendly than Nostalrius. I think the retail edgelords tried Classic, whereas Nostalrius had the actual vanilla players. The pattern to note here, though, is that the farther away we get from vanilla, the more the quality deteriorates.
    Nostalrius was further from vanilla then classic is.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Nostalrius was further from vanilla then classic is.
    i laughed out loud

layering, fake batching, no item progression, different xp rules

what the fuck are you smoking?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    i laughed out loud

Fights made harder then they really were
    items drop rates being different
    TBC exp values
    fights not working as they should
    passive hp/mana regen nerfed to the ground.

also how is fake batching further from vanilla's real batching then nostalrius's zero attempt at batching?
    and "no item progression" what are you bloody talking about? tons of items have been locked behind later phases.

Kronos 4 waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    and "no item progression" what are you bloody talking about? tons of items have been locked behind later phases.
    Itemization changed over the course of Vanilla, which turned literal garbage items into (Pre Raid) BiS, which is generally called "Progressive Itemization".

Rosewine Circle from LBRS is a great example.
    It used to be a ring with Agi / Spirit (yep), was then turned into +Heal / Mp5 (basically Pre Raid BiS for any Healer).

Not to mention, the drop location of that item was also changed, it originally dropped off Voone in LBRS (laughable boss) to Urok Doomhowl (one that actually requires a modicum of strat).
    Classic kept the 1.12 Itemization but sticked to its Pre 1.10 drop location (Voone), giving every healer super easy access to a very strong Item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can confirm, made a shit tonne of money through boosting in Vanilla.

There's more of it now, as it's become more of a mainstream thing, but it was definitely a thing back then too.

i laughed out loud

Nostal literally went out of their way to make it unlike vanilla my dude. They wanted to make it harder than it really was in most cases. Also a TON and I mean a TON of game altering bugs that had nothing to do with vanilla.

Classic obv isn’t perfect, but nostalrious isn’t even close. Blizzard themselves didn’t even have the data to make the game go patch by patch, nostalrious just said fuck it let’s guess.

Ahahaha what the fuck? This is such a massive reach.

So has Classic successfully recaptured the vanilla mage of old? From the little time I spent on thei game, it was less social and friendly than Nostalrius. I think the retail edgelords tried Classic, whereas Nostalrius had the actual vanilla players. The pattern to note here, though, is that the farther away we get from vanilla, the more the quality deteriorates.
    Oh fuck off with the "lulz retail" shit. It's the same toxic shit vanilla always had. Literally the fact we could "blacklist' people was one of the things people waxed nostalgic around should say that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes vanilla had boosts. And contemporary bro gamers lol what?

i laughed out loud

Do you know before classic it was possible to tell if someone had actually played vanilla or just a private server by asking them is locks did good dps? Yeah, that's how 'more like vanilla' it was.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Classic players seems very adamant on trying to make their community look good and trashtalk another... Which ironically isn't exactly a good sign for a community.

Just from mmo-c classic seems to have the most obnoxious people with the "we are better than these people" attitude.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

People's idea of good old time .. the 1.0 version where some classes just did not function and were basically an extra mob.

A private server better than classic haha.
    Also: hahaha
    Oh and: hahahaha

Now really, stop it already. It's just the same thing with better infrastructure, plus all the old kids/adults that turned into grumpy adults/old timers.
    You getting offended by minimal changes for a better service is beyond anyone.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You mustn't have actually played Vanilla then.