Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    That's not very inclusive.
    That's literally the job description of acting, pretending/make believe you are someone else.

Look at the transformations christian bale did for batman, the machinist, vice, american hustle

If u want to be type cast, then get the look right

Otherwise put down that donut

PUT.IT.DOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Not to mention he did the voice of the animated character a bunch of times too.
    has everyone forgot they did in fact make a constantine TV show that lasted 8 episodes? Matt Ryan made his appearance in the role there, did such a great job that after the show was canceled they brought him into the arrowverse. To bad as the show was actually quite good and had a solid cast for the characters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I think the whole messy divorce thing was the bigger reason for that.

As for him changing stuff. I mean, we all saw that coming, right? It's my second favourite arc in the whole series, but I can't see a world where Netflix actually make "A Game Of You" exactly how it played out, in the comics. Wanda especially will need some tweaking, for 2020.

and that's just the first part that comes to mind.

Same thing for gender/race swapping. While I can't see them changing the gender of any of the Endless (except Desire, obviously) I can absolutely see them racebending a few of them. Destruction, Death and Delirium spring to mind.
    It's been a long time since I read Sandman, but don't the Endless already change appearance entirely depending on who is looking at them? At least Death and Dream do, as I recall.

I wonder if their concern is more along the lines of whitewashing / blackface concerns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It's been a long time since I read Sandman, but don't the Endless already change appearance entirely depending on who is looking at them? At least Death and Dream do, as I recall.
    Yeah, the Endless are basically ideas made manifest, they HAVE no set form and can change at will. However, for the majority of the series we see them in their "classic" forms. All of whom are white. So I wouldn't be surprised if some of those base forms changed race.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the Endless are basically ideas made manifest, they HAVE no set form and can change at will. However, for the majority of the series we see them in their "classic" forms. All of whom are white. So I wouldn't be surprised if some of those base forms changed race.
    I think Death and Dream are pretty iconic with the goth look so I hope they retain that. Death would probably work well as an Asian woman. The others can pretty much be whatever without it having much impact, though I'd still like to see them with that unearthly pale blue-white skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    has everyone forgot they did in fact make a constantine TV show that lasted 8 episodes? Matt Ryan made his appearance in the role there, did such a great job that after the show was canceled they brought him into the arrowverse. To bad as the show was actually quite good and had a solid cast for the characters.
    Ya I loved the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I think Death and Dream are pretty iconic with the goth look so I hope they retain that. Death would probably work well as an Asian woman. The others can pretty much be whatever without it having much impact, though I'd still like to see them with that unearthly pale blue-white skin.
    Yeah, while I'm fine with them racebending the others, Dream really has to be tall, rail thin and pale as fuck.

Death I can 100% see as a cute asian goth.

Destruction HAS to be kristofer hivju.

The rest? Doesn't really matter. Just get whoever plays the role the best.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

This universe has intrigued me since I heard of it, but as I don't really do comics it's nice to get an adaptation. Really enjoyed Lucifer as a campy detective show, similar to White Collar, but kinda yearn for a more earnest take on the source material.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    This universe has intrigued me since I heard of it, but as I don't really do comics it's nice to get an adaptation. Really enjoyed Lucifer as a campy detective show, similar to White Collar, but kinda yearn for a more earnest take on the source material.
    Sandman in general is more in tone with the moments where Lucifer gets super serious, in the show. They get into this in later seasons, but Lucifer's happy-go-lucky facade is a false front that he uses to avoid dealing with his monumental amounts of angst and pathos.

5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, while I'm fine with them racebending the others, Dream really has to be tall, rail thin and pale as fuck.

Death I can 100% see as a cute asian goth.
    Oh no, don't bring ur anime manga fantasies/stuff into this show... begone, fiend!

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Odd, I thought lgbtq liked his comics for years, will he sacrifice story for woke? On the other hand he seems to care a lot about his craft, he abandoned his wife n baby during corona outbreak so not to have...'distractions'..

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/483...man-series/amp

Neil Gaiman Teases Changes for Netflix’s Sandman Series.

After decades of failed attempts to bring the Sandman saga to the big or small screen, Neil Gaiman sounds confident that the series will finally come to life on Netflix in the near future. But when the show finally premieres, fans might notice a few key differences. While speaking with ComicBook.com, Gaiman described how he and the series’ producers are approaching the story. Among other details, they’re rethinking how to portray certain characters.

During the interview, Gaiman discussed both the upcoming Netflix series as well as the Sandman audiobook drama debuting next Wednesday. He explained that turning the story into an audiobook is easier, since it only requires actors to give a dramatic reading of the original comics. However, adapting the series for live-action presents its own set of challenges.

“But the idea is that we tell the whole thing,” said Gaiman. “We also get to do something that I think is kind of special, which is treat it as an audiobook, because doing the Netflix TV series, we’re very much looking at that as going, ‘Okay, it is 2020, let’s say that I was doing Sandman starting in 2020, what would we do? How would we change things? What gender would this character be? Who would this person be? What would be happening?’”

Honestly, this shouldn’t surprise anyone. Gender-swapping has become something of a norm in the realm of comic adaptations, especially those that make it to TV. We’ve seen it happen everywhere from The Walking Dead to The Boys and beyond. Not only does this make the show more inclusive, but it also subverts audience expectations and makes the story more exciting.

The Sandman audiobook hits digital platforms on July 15. The Netflix series is still without a release date.
    At this point i think most people would actually like an adaptation more for not actually changing anything for woke/political reasons

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    You seriously don't think the gender, race, sexuality of a character wouldn't change them? Is an Asian girl in an all black area going to have the exact same experience as a black girl? or a white boy? Black boy? Asian boy? Of course not. A poor black kid in the middle of a rural all white area is most likely going to have a different experience than a poor white kid. Sure both may get bullied from being poor, but its likely the black kid will be the only one to experience racism or possibly gain friends easier because they are seen as different and cool.

Making Spiderman a lesbian requires more changes to the story. Flash Thompson suddenly becomes a bigot/sexist/racist/etc(depending on what you change) if Peter Parker is something else. Suddenly he's not just a dickhead bully but worse. So then you also change Flash into a woman but then she is seen as homophobic so then you have to make her a lesbian as well. Even if you try your damndest to make sure your readers/viewers know that she/he only hates Peter for X you will always have people that see it as bigotry and the character wont due as well. And then also do you then change her from being the star Football player?? Is she still one of the most popular people in school? If all the popular kids in the school are all gay now does that mean gay people don't experience any prejudice in this new universe or is this school somehow special? Does a young girl reading/seeing this then learn that people actually treat her differently because shes ugly and not really because she likes other girls because if you are pretty you can be a lesbian footballer and still be super popular?
    At which point it really becomes a different character /show altogether, tha'ts the original just because of superficial qualiteis from the original pinned on to it. It reminds me of a wolf in sheep clothing - it's not actually a sheep, it's just been given the sheep clothing to make it look like one, but it actually isn't one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Oh no, don't bring ur anime manga fantasies/stuff into this show... begone, fiend!
    Actually, it's a reference to one of the shorter stories in Sandman, where Death spends a day as a small chinese girl, talking to a boy about owning an ox cart...

5+ Year Old Account
    Neil Gaiman Explains Sandman Changes From Comic to Netflix.

Collider Interviews
    Jul 20, 2020

Given the subject matter, being stranded in “development hell” might feel more than apt: Of all the comic book properties that have evaded adaptation to other mediums, The Sandman might be one of the most legendary. But now that Neil Gaiman has learned to speak “fluent showrunner” thanks to his work on last year’s adaptation of Good Omens, things have changed dramatically.

However, while Gaiman is currently at work on a Netflix adaptation of the series with executive producers Allan Heinberg and David Goyer, the first Sandman adaptation to ever actually be completed isn’t on screen. Instead, this week Audible has launched the first part in what promises to be an epic audio-only experience, adapted and directed by Dirk Maggs (who first wanted to adapt Sandman for the radio in 1992). The cast is incredible, including James McAvoy, Michael Sheen, Riz Ahmed, Justin Vivian Bond, Arthur Darvill, Kat Dennings, Taron Egerton, William Hope, Josie Lawrence, Miriam Margolyes, Samantha Morton, Bebe Neuwirth, and Andy Serkis, and it’s anchored by Gaiman as the Narrator, keeping the action moving while reading descriptions drawn from his original comic book scripts.

Details on the Netflix series are a bit scarce, in part because production on the Netflix series was shut down by the pandemic, but in this extended interview with Collider, Gaiman explains that because the Audible adaptation is extraordinarily loyal to the comics, he looks at it as a “control group” that lets him and the Netflix writers experiment with making changes to the original story. He also reveals what kind of changes they’re looking to make, as well as getting into how they were able to assemble such an all-star cast for the Audible adaptation, and if that cast might affect the choices being made for the live-action series. (Crossing my fingers hard that Dennings can reprise the role of Death.)

5+ Year Old Account
    Neil Gaiman Reveals the Netflix ‘Sandman’ Series Will Be Set in Present Day.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/san...me-1234744778/
    Aug 22, 2020 11:40am PT
    By Meredith Woerner

The Netflix adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman” will be slightly different than the original comic book series. While discussing the incredibly popular graphic novel and audio adaptation on the DC FanDome panel with Dirk Maggs, G. Willow Wilson and Michael Sheen, Gaiman revealed the status for the hotly anticipated upcoming Netflix adaptation that was announced in 2019.

When pressed for details on the long-awaited series, Gaiman first stated the obvious; due to the outbreak of the coronavirus, everything has been on pause. However, the author revealed that he had been using that time to get the script as “close to perfect as we can.” A task he admits, was rather fun.

“Right now as the universal pause button is starting to come off, we’re starting to cast again,” Gaiman said. “I’m getting these inspiring and wonderful emails with production designs with places that I’d only ever seen in the comics before, now being rendered in 3D, and I’m being asked to comment on it. That’s amazing.”

The creator continued comparing the new Netflix series to the current adaptations. “Part of the joy of doing the audio adaptation was going ‘this is going to be the nearest thing we can do to an audiobook of those first three graphic novels and hopefully all of the graphic novels.’ And we’re going to start it in 1988 and it’s going to end in about 1991 or 1992. ’Sandman’ is a very compressed story even though it takes place all through time and space.”

“What we’re doing with Netflix is saying ‘OK It’s still going to start in 1916, but the thing that happens in ‘Sandman’ 1, the point that the story starts is not 1988. It’s now. And how does that change the story? What does that give us? What does that make us have to look at that we wouldn’t have to look at if we were setting it as a period piece? What is that going to do to the gender of characters, what is that going to do to the nature of characters? What’s that going to do to the story? And that has been an absolute delight. Because it means we are always being true to the story and being true to the characters. But it gives us tremendous freedom to go, ‘OK if we were doing it now what would ‘Sandman’ be?’ And that, again, is very liberating.”

5+ Year Old Account
    Who? Is he any good?

https://collider.com/the-sandman-net...tom-sturridge/

Exclusive: ‘The Sandman’ Netflix Series Eyes Tom Sturridge to Star as Dream

BY JEFF SNEIDER SEPTEMBER 30, 2020

The Sandman creator Neil Gaiman recently revealed on Twitter that Netflix’s adaptation of his acclaimed comic will begin shooting in three weeks, and Collider has exclusively learned that Tom Sturridge is in talks to star.

The epic drama hails from Warner Bros. TV, and Netflix gave the series an 11-episode order. Production was delayed due to the pandemic, which gave Gaiman and his co-writers time to get the scripts into the best shape possible. Gaiman is executive producing with David S. Goyer (Batman Begins) and writer/showrunner Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman).

Sandman‘s original 75-issue run followed the adventures of Dream — who is also known as Morpheus and Sandman — the lord of dreams who is part of a mysterious group of immortal beings known as The Endless, who personify universal concepts such as death, desire, destiny, delirium, despair, and destruction, in addition to dream.

Sources say that Sturridge tested for the title role earlier this year along with Tom York (Poldark) and Colin Morgan (Merlin) before emerging victorious.

DC Comics’ Vertigo label published Sandman, and New Line originally eyed the iconic property for a feature adaptation that would’ve starred Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who was also slated to direct. Gordon-Levitt spent three years developing the movie before exiting due to creative differences.

Sturridge starred opposite Carey Mulligan in Far from the Madding Crowd and he recently starred in the Starz series Sweetbitter. He was recently seen in Dan Gilroy‘s Netflix movie Velvet Buzzsaw and he also played Lord Byron in Mary Shelley, as well as Ryan Gosling‘s brother in Terrence Malick‘s Song to Song. Other credits include Richard Curtis‘ Pirate Radio and Walter Salles‘ adaptation of On the Road. Sturridge is represented by WME, and representatives for the English actor declined comment, while Netflix did not respond to a request for comment.

He looks kind of whiny.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    He looks kind of whiny.
    yes, but so does Timothée Chalamet for dune, but then i saw that movie The King, so maybe this Tom guy got some skills? Dream is supposed to be skinny though

5+ Year Old Account
    Netflix's Sandman Show Reportedly Casts Gwendoline Christie.

https://screenrant.com/sandman-show-...line-christie/
    BY MOLLY FESER 12 HOURS AGO

Gwendoline Christie has reportedly been cast in the Netflix adaptation of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. Based on Gaiman's best-selling graphic novel series, which ran for 75 issues from 1989 to 1996, the upcoming Netflix series will take on a more modern approach to the adventures of Morpheus, or Dream, the Lord of the Dream World. Set in the year 2021, the 11-episode series will focus on Morpheus after being imprisoned for 105 years as he sets out to restore order to his fallen kingdom and return to his realm. A number of previous attempts at live-action Sandman adaptations have been made, all of which failed due to creative differences and were abandoned. However, Gaiman is also co-creating the Netflix adaptation, which fans are expecting to better honor the original source material. Along with Gaiman, Batman Begins writer David S. Goyer is executive producing the series while co-writing the pilot with Wonder Woman co-writer Allan Heinberg..

Filming on the series was originally set to begin in May of last year, but production was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic. Gaiman later confirmed filming on the series began in the U.K. back in October, but many details surrounding the show are still being kept under wraps, including the cast. There's been speculation about who might be starring in the series, with The Hollow Crown's Tom Sturridge in talks to play the lead role of Dream, while Liam Hemsworth and Stranger Things' Dacre Montgomery have been on the shortlist to play the nightmare Corinthian. While Sturridge has been heavily reported to lead the series, Netflix has not confirmed any casting rumors. However, another casting report has emerged and it's a familiar face for Game of Thrones fans.

As first reported by Discussing Film, Gwendoline Christie has been cast in The Sandman in an unknown role. While it has not been reported yet who Christie will play, Desire and Death, two major characters from Gaiman's comics, have still not reportedly been cast.

Christie is best known for playing Brienne of Tarth in seven seasons of HBO's Game of Thrones, as well as Captain Phasma in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Christie is also not new to Gaiman's work, as she previously lent her voice on the radio adaptation of his novel The Sleeper and the Spindle.

Christie's previous experience with Gaiman's work means that she could be a great addition to The Sandman cast. Christie's character on Game of Thrones was a long-time fan favorite, and it would be exciting to see her return to TV since the popular show ended nearly two years ago. While it has not been revealed who she will be playing in the upcoming Netflix series, it will be interesting to see her take on another show in the fantasy genre.

Netflix The Sandman Adaptation

First bit of casting news regarding Netflix's Live Action Adaptation of The Sandman

I'm not familiar with Tom Sturridge at all...but his face works for me.

And I think Gwendolyn Christie is a great choice for Lucifer. She can do the "Bowie-esque" look that the Sandman version of Lucifer has (Despite the fact the the Lucifer TV series is semi-based on the same version of Lucifer...Tom Ellis doesn't look anything like the way Lucifer is portrayed in the comic series.)
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-01-29 at 01:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’ve never heard of the comics about this, but it sounds very interesting!
    Really? It's probably the most famous non-superhero comic and has even crossed over into the main DC continuity. It's written by Neil Gaiman who also wrote a bunch of other things like American Gods, Coraline, and co-wrote Good Omens with Terry Pratchett.