Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Back when I started the game, my first two zones were Eversong and Ghostlands and they were amazing. I spent a week leveling and exploring them, doing every quest, and taking time to work on professions--it was an amazing start to my wow experience that just got better and better as I worked towards entering Northrend. That journey took 7 months--it could have gone faster--but I didn't care to rush it because I was having too much fun exploring the vast rich world of Azeroth. This is a journey I look on with fond memories to this day. On the other hand, Exile's reach is fine but I was done in 20 mins and it wasn't that memorable. It was quick and to the point. Sure, I can get another alt to 50 in a couple days now--but why? I have alts--they are useful for mount collecting and professions, but I never want to play them seriously. I'd be OK with just my Paladin.

I think the current system is designed for people that don't enjoy leveling and that's fine I guess. It's like the difference between people who hike up a mountain for the top as quick as possible and those who meander enjoying everything that they see along the way. Maybe the latter never reach the mountain top but it's still a fun hike. Personally, I can't wait for bc/wrath servers so I can re-experience the journey at my own pace. I doubt retail will ever make leveling meaningful again. Even for shadowlands they nerfed the experience required because many people don't want to do every side quest, explore, and run dungeons at level.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    my thought is leveling in retail feels disgusting atm.

got 10-50 in 7 hours. it should have never been possible

wow is no longer mmorpg in my eyes - its mmo-instance symulator . its lost any right to be called rpg game

if you took 20 hours you must have been taking very long .....sessions in process for it to be so slow.

wont lie getting 1-20 in classic feels much more revarding them getting 1-50 in retail now.

disguested with what blizzard did to this game.
    Go play Classic then.

I gotta agree here; they actually didn' mess it up.

Outside of the scaling on 1-2 mobs i encountered when leveling my new rogue trough WoD it went pretty well.
    one instance being; the tentacles in the void phase of Oshu'Gun... those melt you like nothing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    The leveling experience itself is great, i agree. Dungeons feel a bit jarring though. Everything takes ages to kill, but it's still really easy, so you just stand there for 5 minutes without ever really having to pay attention to anything, just watching hp bars sloooooowly go down.

Edit: Also, i really don't like the removal of the satchel of helpful goods. Between that, almost no gear quest rewards, and almost no drops from dungeons, i think i haven't gotten a new piece of gear in about 25 levels now.
    the queue setup is trash though
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

We currently are in a cycle of destruction with leveling:

1. Blizzard nerfs leveling into the ground.
    2. Everyone who hates leveling says "wow leveling is fixed!" for a month or two.
    3. Then everyone who hates leveling still hates leveling and forgets they said that leveling is fixed.
    4. We go back to step 1.

People said leveling was fixed with heirlooms first went in, when level scaling first went in, when leveling in BGs first went in, when leveling in IEs first went in. Every. Single. Time. We hear the same refain: leveling is fixed! and then they forget they said it and beg for more nerfs.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say by 2021, players will complain leveling sucks really badly and demand to be able to freely make new chars at level 60.

The way to fix leveling is to make it more interesting. Instead, blizz breaks it more and more and makes it easier, which ruins it.
    Last edited by Die; 2020-10-18 at 06:30 PM.

I've gotta love the changes to MoP & WoD heirlooms as well. This feels so meaty...

By the way, has anyone tried doing Island Expeditions with a level 50 boosting a level 10? Is the XP any good?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrinara View Post
    You can now level where ever the fuck you want.
    I think that this is the best part of the revamp. For example, I am a big fan of BC, so it was quite irritating that I could only enjoy myself on a quite narrow level bracket. Now I get to do all of Terokkar and Netherstorm, it's great.

Levelling also being made somewhat faster is a nice bonus as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    We currently are in a cycle of destruction with leveling:

1. Blizzard nerfs leveling into the ground.
    2. Everyone who hates leveling says "wow leveling is fixed!" for a month or two.
    3. Then everyone who hates leveling still hates leveling and forgets they said that leveling is fixed.
    4. We go back to step 1.

People said leveling was fixed with heirlooms first went in, when level scaling first went in, when leveling in BGs first went in, when leveling in IEs first went in. Every. Single. Time. We hear the same refain: leveling is fixed! and then they forget they said it and beg for more nerfs.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say by 2021, players will complain leveling sucks really badly and demand to be able to freely make new chars at level 60.

The way to fix leveling is to make it more interesting. Instead, blizz breaks it more and more and makes it easier, which ruins it.
    Sounds like fanfiction.

The reason people hated leveling is because as expansions heaped up, so did the leveling experience. The group that most fellates the notion of long leveling (Classic players and enthusiasts) utterly ignore that there is a massive gaping chasm of difference between leveling through questing or dungeoning in one or two continents and leveling when there's more than five expansions that you have to go through to be able to play with your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Sounds like fanfiction.

The reason people hated leveling is because as expansions heaped up, so did the leveling experience. The group that most fellates the notion of long leveling (Classic players and enthusiasts) utterly ignore that there is a massive gaping chasm of difference between leveling through questing or dungeoning in one or two continents and leveling when there's more than five expansions that you have to go through to be able to play with your friends.
    You actually agree with me.

I said the way to fix leveling is to make it more interesting. Your critique that leveling was getting too long and robs you of playtime with friends meshes with my my view that you just quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    You actually agree with me.

I said the way to fix leveling is to make it more interesting. Your critique that leveling was getting too long and robs you of playtime with friends meshes with my my view that you just quoted.
    Your argument is that these new changes don't do anything to sate people whose issues I just outlined. Well, it does. It shortens leveling, leaves you with only one expansion to clear through and allows you to catch up fairly quickly.

It might not be super dynamic, but it's a lot more tolerable by sheer virtue of no longer having to go through 1-60 only to see several expansions of questing and dungeoning ahead of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling as an Alliance from 45-50 is really cool as well. You just chose Cataclysm on Chromie and you do Loch Modan... 1h and you do 5 levels basically
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

Fucking no one is doing the Cata and vanilla zones, and for good reason. They are slower compared to WoD and BFA.

I was the only one doing Tanaris and then Cata dungeon queues are very bad.

I think it’s too fast and easy.

I’m lvl 27 on my hunter. I’m 1/3 of the way through the first zone in MOP and I’ve been pulling everything in sight, yet I’ve never gone below 95% hp the whole time.

Seems way too easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    That is your opinion. If end game is all you care for, then it is not a problem.

You still did not answer whether leveling is leveling, if xp is turned off, but I wont demand that from you or anyone else.
    I'll answer it: No, leveling is not leveling with XP turned off. WoW isn't a leveling game -- leveling has always been a time-sink intended to pad out the experience and tell elements of the story while delaying end-game content.

WoW is one of those games where, if you're playing it for the leveling, then you're getting a sub-par experience. If that's you, then I suggest checking out Asheron's Call. It's a dead-game that is surviving via private servers. It's a game where, even when you hit max level, you continue to accumulate usable xp. End-game content isn't really a thing in AC -- there are just tiers of content. There's tons of quests, tons of places to level, and tons of rewards for doing both of those things.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Fucking no one is doing the Cata and vanilla zones, and for good reason. They are slower compared to WoD and BFA.

I was the only one doing Tanaris and then Cata dungeon queues are very bad.
    I exclusively leveled through Cata/Classic zones and Dungeons. Queue time for classic dungeons as DPS is 3-5 minutes (EU), Healer is like 1-2 minutes and Tank is obviously instant. Can not validate your observations and I have 20+ hours in Cata/Classic of experience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post

I’m lvl 27 on my hunter. I’m 1/3 of the way through the first zone in MOP and I’ve been pulling everything in sight, yet I’ve never gone below 95% hp the whole time.

Seems way too easy...
    You have a personal tank, so there is no surprise you take no damage. ;P
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2020-10-18 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was fine before. They just 'fixed' it for impatient people like you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Games evolve, especially games as old as this one. If you want the leveling to take forever, Classic is --> that way.

Retail you pick an expansion, level to 50, and move on. Or freeze your XP at 49 and continue on.

- - - Updated - - -
    I mean in a game as big as Wow what rush is there to get to the 'end'? Your point of view is extremely short sided and self serving.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    my thought is leveling in retail feels disgusting atm.

got 10-50 in 7 hours. it should have never been possible

wow is no longer mmorpg in my eyes - its mmo-instance symulator . its lost any right to be called rpg game

if you took 20 hours you must have been taking very long .....sessions in process for it to be so slow.

wont lie getting 1-20 in classic feels much more revarding them getting 1-50 in retail now.

disguested with what blizzard did to this game.
    Now imagine doing the same classic leveling over and over again for 15 years. Same quests, same mobs, same dungeons, same zones.

Thats the issue here. Retail is a everending growing game of new zones, quests+++. Classic is currently still relevant, but will alot of people level yet another character there in 5+ years? People that already got alot of characters.

At the end of the day, something had to be done with leveling in retail. I understand why they did it and theres so much to explore and do in retail, at max level too.

Its also interesting to see how gaming has changed. Back in vanilla(now classic) the leveling was a big part of the game & genre. It was supposed to be slower and require more of you. Retail right now fits the gaming world of 2020. Luckily for us, we get to enjoy both versions.

But I gotta say one thing - It doesnt feel as cool to reach max level in retail anymore. I lvl alts to max and rarely play them again. Probably cause at max lvl in retail the game is convoluded with alot of shit you gotta go through to stay relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post

Seems way too easy...
    I got myself killed a couple of times between 40-50 as a tank pulling a bit more than I could handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylanthia View Post
    Back when I started the game, my first two zones were Eversong and Ghostlands and they were amazing. I spent a week leveling and exploring them, doing every quest, and taking time to work on professions--it was an amazing start to my wow experience that just got better and better as I worked towards entering Northrend. That journey took 7 months--it could have gone faster--but I didn't care to rush it because I was having too much fun exploring the vast rich world of Azeroth. This is a journey I look on with fond memories to this day. On the other hand, Exile's reach is fine but I was done in 20 mins and it wasn't that memorable. It was quick and to the point. Sure, I can get another alt to 50 in a couple days now--but why? I have alts--they are useful for mount collecting and professions, but I never want to play them seriously. I'd be OK with just my Paladin.

I think the current system is designed for people that don't enjoy leveling and that's fine I guess. It's like the difference between people who hike up a mountain for the top as quick as possible and those who meander enjoying everything that they see along the way. Maybe the latter never reach the mountain top but it's still a fun hike. Personally, I can't wait for bc/wrath servers so I can re-experience the journey at my own pace. I doubt retail will ever make leveling meaningful again. Even for shadowlands they nerfed the experience required because many people don't want to do every side quest, explore, and run dungeons at level.
    Its probably also got to do with Blizzard wanting new players into the game. Players of old(like me who played since classic) dont match with players of today. The new generation of gamers expects something different. New players probably like it being fast paced in leveling and all that. Players of today look at leveling as something useless, a waste of time. I strongly disagree with this, but im a old fart in the gaming world now.

For me, getting one level on a character in classic feels better than reaching 50 on a alt in retail.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    I mean in a game as big as Wow what rush is there to get to the 'end'? Your point of view is extremely short sided and self serving.
    In WoW reaching mas lvl was never "the end". It was never end game content, the real thing starts after reaching max lvl, and after so many expansion piled on top of each other leveling was in a dire need of revamp. It fixed it's length and fucked up chronology.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.