Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The UK is facing a crisis of young adults and independency

I think it was said before, but my issue with that had to do with the US. In the UK, too many young adults at the age of independency apparently like to live with their parents until their 30s at best. With COVID on the rise, it's getting even worse. There are allegedly people that never even tried to find independency to begin with (as described in the post), which is more chilling than people that tried and seemingly failed

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-rising-study

"Around 3.5 million single young adults in the UK are estimated to live with their parents, an increase of a third over the past decade, and a trend that is likely to accelerate as the economic and social impact of the coronavirus pandemic deepens."

How do you feel about this, personally? Before I suggested some kind of law/rule that forces parental figures to kick out their children against their consent if they're far past the age of non-independence (20 at least) and people got upset or baffled at the notion. The article presented is going into the previously mentioned concerns of how this is detrimental to society and we need to motivate people into working.

Some of the excuses here are baffling like a relationship breakup apparently shattering people's minds into hiding from reality.

"life shocks such as relationship breakups."
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2020-10-18 at 10:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you still complaining about this?

Why does it bother you if kids live with their parents if they can't live on their own yet.

Being independent is not easy.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

I mean there are a lot of underlying issues to address to solve the problem and even touching some of them brands you a racist now...

So it's best to just look the other way and watch most of the middle class give up on the notion of owning property.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I mean there are a lot of underlying issues to address to solve the problem and even touching some of them brands you a racist now...
    Ignoring the crap that you just posted, did you know that in many Asian countries it is considered normal to live with your parents up until you get married? So why is that considered a problem in more western countries?

10+ Year Old Account
    Strange how living with your parents suddenly becomes weird when you're white and live in a country obsessed with landlordism like the UK or US

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Ignoring the crap that you just posted, did you know that in many Asian countries it is considered normal to live with your parents up until you get married? So why is that considered a problem in more western countries?
    The west is used to more luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post

Why does it bother you if kids live with their parents if they can't live on their own yet.

1. I'm not just complaining, it's a real worldwide crisis.

2. they're not kids if they're over 18, i get enraged when people suggest that idea. That's my problem. If you're 17 and under but studying hard to find independence like a normal person, there's no problem.

3. it's not but the fact there's an argument for being non-independent, to begin with, is a sign of society regressing in my opinion. People over 18 unless having a seriously good excuse like being maimed or similar should figure things out on their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Strange how living with your parents suddenly becomes weird when you're white and live in a country obsessed with landlordism like the UK or US
    Fairly normal in the US.

UK seems to invent a lot of not real problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post

2. they're not kids if they're over 18, i get enraged when people suggest that idea. That's my problem. If you're 17 and under but studying hard to find independence like a normal person, there's no problem.

3. it's not but the fact there's an argument for being non-independent, to begin with, is a sign of society regressing in my opinion. People over 18 unless having a seriously good excuse like being maimed or similar should figure things out on their own.
    1. In what way is this a crisis?

2. In what way is independence at a given age "normal"

3. Some people do not have the capability to be independent immediately why do you care what other people do with their life?
    Driving on Sunshine.

1. In what way is this a crisis?
    people have to work and individually pay their bills. That is life. That is reality. Can you imagine how unfair it is for less fortunate people already doing both to see someone cushily living with their mommy at age 25? Especially if they have no choice in the matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    people have to work and individually pay their bills. That is life. That is reality. Can you imagine how unfair it is for less fortunate people already doing both to see someone cushily living with their mommy at age 25? Especially if they have no choice in the matter.
    Lots of people do not, it's not a crisis.
    Driving on Sunshine.

It's a sign the economy is starting to slow down. A crisis is a bit of an exaggeration but it is a cause for concern.

what if hypothetically most of the young adults now decided life is shit and decided to live under their parents and mutually subscribe to the idea of not expecting much but food and basic entertainment in exchange for "emotional support" and housekeeping? The world would fucking fall apart. While we're not close to or will ever see it reach a majority problem, the amount of people still subscribing to this is enough for articles to be made now.

10+ Year Old Account
    what if hypothetically most of the young adults now decided life is shit and decided to live under their parents and mutually subscribe to the idea of not expecting much but food and basic entertainment in exchange for "emotional support" and housekeeping? The world would fucking fall apart. While we're not close to or will ever see it reach a majority problem, the amount of people still subscribing to this is enough for articles to be made now.
    This is called millennials and zoomers, and the economy and the rest of the world are both fine.
    Driving on Sunshine.

I know many white people, many males, that are between 18 and 30 and just don't make enough to afford an apartment of their own. Costs are too high, and wages are too low.

The fact that people have given up on the idea of being independent is just common sense. They don't make enough money now, and there is no chance in the near future for things to change. So they are doing the best that they can do under the circumstances they have.

Note that almost all of them have no kids and no significant other. So people are not able to afford to support even themselves. This is the new reality in the US. And we are moving towards things getting more expensive not less as housing costs continue to steadily increase.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's because the nature of work is changing and a lot of people don't feel an urgent need to adapt. The typical line is "my parents only had to do XYZ to move out and afford their own house in 1990". Well it's like who cares, you aren't your parents and we live in 2020 so how is that relevant anymore.

Because this wasn't a thing for males at least 70 years ago. Left wing influence is making us weak as a society. It isn't aliens or an asteroid or WW3 that will destroy the West its the far left making us into weak dependant wimps.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea that you should move out and live on your own at 18 is pretty much a post-WWII fantasy that never really had any reasonable basis in social psychology or socioeconomic balance. It's a bad idea that serves essentially no positive gains, and there's really no reason to keep pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Because this wasn't a thing for males at least 70 years ago. Left wing influence is making us weak as a society. It isn't aliens or an asteroid or WW3 that will destroy the West its the far left making us into weak dependant wimps.
    And other jokes to tell yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is called millennials and zoomers, and the economy and the rest of the world are both fine.
    Spoken like a true boomer.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Spoken like a true boomer.
    But I'm a millennial.
    Driving on Sunshine.