Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Which, ironically, is an improper display of the flag, according to regulations.
    "Liberals don't respect the flag!"

Proceeds to cover dick and balls with flag swim trunks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    "Liberals don't respect the flag!"

Proceeds to cover dick and balls with flag swim trunks.
    It's also kind of an ugly flag, let's be real.

Canton flags are bad vexillology, change my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's also kind of an ugly flag, let's be real.
    It's going to be a lot prettier with four more stars on it in 2022 (/knockswood).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's going to be a lot prettier with four more stars on it in 2022 (/knockswood).
    Not really; like I said canton flags are grody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    So a US court just struck down another Trump action, namely, one that would make it harder for unemployed people to get food stamps. You know, the type of person that food stamps were made for?

Cited here is the judge's ruling:

Because coronavirus
    Well, close enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Ohio: 1,549 new cases; no deaths reported
    That's a lucky break, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So a US court just struck down another Trump action, namely, one that would make it harder for unemployed people to get food stamps. You know, the type of person that food stamps were made for?

Cited here is the judge's ruling:

Well, close enough.

- - - Updated - - -

weekend reporting, ftw?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Puerto Rico and DC are two, but what do you consider 3 and 4?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I am hoping, that if they get all 3 houses and California is a strong Democrat, they could divide it up from 1 state into 3 or more and make sure that the populations are weighted in that division.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    I am hoping, that if they get all 3 houses and California is a strong Democrat, they could divide it up from 1 state into 3 or more and make sure that the populations are weighted in that division.
    That's really a non-starter in California.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Last Sunday they reported 2. I wouldn't read anything into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    California isn’t splitting up any time soon.

The only groups in California that are for splitting up are republican groups... the poor rural republicans that want the “liberal elite” to stop telling them what to do, and the rich coastal Republicans that want to stop having to pay taxes to support the first group.

I’d rather see the electoral college abolished in favor of the popular vote before DC and Puerto Rico statehood, which would be colossal logistical undertakings and not ultimately address the electoral college problem.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-10-19 at 06:07 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I’d rather see the electoral college abolished in favor of the popular vote before DC and Puerto Rico statehood, which would be colossal logistical undertakings and not ultimately address the electoral college problem.
    It's not really about the electoral college so much as it's about doing the right thing. Not so incidentally, it would also add 4 more Senate seats and 5 more House seats that would hopefully vote Democratic.

The solution for the electoral college will likely come (if it comes) from the states, not Congress, anyway.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really about the electoral college so much as it's about doing the right thing. Not so incidentally, it would also add 4 more Senate seats and 5 more House seats that would hopefully vote Democratic.

The solution for the electoral college will likely come (if it comes) from the states, not Congress, anyway.
    On that same token, I’d leave the issue of Puerto Rico and DC statehood up to the people living there. I don’t think that’s a hard-line item Biden would need to push for, other than being open to it happening.

At any rate, the electoral college has been nothing but trouble, and it can’t really be dealt with in a piecemeal manner. The whole system is antiquated, unnecessary, and will really only ever exist to abrogate the will of the American people.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

On that same token, I’d leave the issue of Puerto Rico and DC statehood up to the people living there. I don’t think that’s a hard-line item Biden would need to push for, other than being open to it happening.
    My understanding is that statehood is overwhelmingly popular in DC, and is favored with a slight majority in Puerto Rico. With Puerto Rico though the main alternative desire to statehood is not staying as a territory but being given independence, but since that has virtually no chance at all of happening the right thing to do is make them a state. In theory one could do the same with the other territories (Samoa, Guam, the Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands), but unlike Puerto Rico they all have extremely small populations (Puerto Rico has about 3.5 million people, while the next largest - Guam - has only 168k).
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2020-10-19 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing, though. It has to be approved on by both sides: the territory legislature as well as Congress. And for the last 200 years or so, states would only enter existence as roughly offsetting pairs. Hawaii for the Democrats and Alaska for the Republicans, for example. It's been almost the only way to get enough bipartisan voting to allow it to pass Congress.

But with the Democrats looking to hopefully have control of the WH, Senate, and House, and coming off the complete and utter SHITSHOW of the Trump Administration, the political desire might just be strong enough to use that advantage to bring some additions officially into the fold. Because this might be the only time.

I mean, what reason does the GoP have to ever play ball on new statehood? There's nothing in it for them. Any new territory would likely vote Democrat. And no existing state is going to conscience splitting.

At any rate, the electoral college has been nothing but trouble, and it can’t really be dealt with in a piecemeal manner. The whole system is antiquated, unnecessary, and will really only ever exist to abrogate the will of the American people.
    The NPVIC is not really a "piecemeal manner". It's a simple and elegant solution. And again, doing away with the Electoral College entirely would require an Amendment, which would be inherently the same process of states voting independently.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    That's not the consensus map I'm looking at. Their consensus map currently puts Biden at 290 electoral votes; main difference in your map there is that they give Biden Arizona and one of Nebraskas electoral votes. That still leaves several toss up states, including Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio and Iowa plus Maines 2nd District.

RCP has, in North Carolina, Biden leading in every recent poll save for one, albeit by slim margins, with his aggregate lead being 2.7 there. Trump won NC by 3.7 points in 2016.

In Florida, Biden has led in recent every poll except for three, one of which was a tie with Trump. His aggregate lead in Florida is 1.4; Trump won the state by 1.2 percent in 2016. Further hurting Trump is that he is hemorrhaging support among seniors. Turns out demanding that they die for the stock market isn't a winning strategy.

In Arizona, Biden has led in every poll save for one and that outlier was a Trafalgar Group poll, and they are bad pollsters, with an aggregate lead of 3.9 points. Trump won Arizona by 3.5% in 2016.

In Iowa, Biden has led in all but three recent polls; of the other three, two were ties between him and Trump and the third had Trump up by 3; Trumps aggregate lead in Iowa is 1.2 points. Trump won Iowa by 9.5% in 2016.

In Georgia, Biden has an aggregate lead of 1.2. Out of five recent polls, Biden led in three of them and Trump lead in 2. Trump won Georgia by 5.1 points in 2016.

The only battleground state Trump currently leads in is Ohio, with an aggregate lead of just 0.5%. Of recent polls, he lead by 4 in one poll, tied in one and Biden lead by 1 in two. Trump won Ohio by 8.1 points in 2016.

Trump is hemorrhaging support everywhere.

In Real Clear Politics 'no toss ups' map, giving them all to Biden produces 357 electoral votes to 181 for Trump. Now of course that's no guarantee and the odds of Biden winning every 'toss up' state are slim, especially Georgia and how desperate the GOP will be to keep it in their column. Expect a lot of foul play by the GOP there.
    I know, dude. I made it up as a ‘this is the minimum Biden needs to win’.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    How about actually first making sure Biden wins? This will all be a gigantic waste if Trump doesn’t lose, which is still highly possible.
    If Trump wins re-election the US is lost anyway.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

There's no way to do 3 divisions that are democrat majority. You can do a north/south split, but that's probably not a good long term plan considering how dependent the south is on the north.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    weekend reporting, ftw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Last Sunday they reported 2. I wouldn't read anything into it.
    Could be. A high number of cases with a low number of deaths is still good news. Hope it stays low.

- - - Updated - - -

And now, a demonstration of the difference between the candidates.

Trump: If Biden wins, he will listen to the scientists!

Biden: If I win, I will listen to the scientists!

Incidentally, Trump claimed that, if Biden were in charge, we'd still be in a depression. Leaving out the part, of course, that the reason we're in one is because of Trump.

Trump also said the Christmas season will be cancelled if Biden wins.

"Har har. What did Trump really say?"

The Christmas season will be cancelled. Look, remember I said we’re going to bring back Christmas? The name. Remember? We brought it back. Remember?
    That's desperation. Also, how many dead people are worth it to say "Merry Christmas"? Which, by the way, Biden can't stop you from saying. That's illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

Something to (not) look forward to: 8 million people have filed with the CDC's emergency eviction blocking thing that somehow works.

On a typical year, 3.6 million evictions take place. So, well over double.

10+ Year Old Account
    American Samoa and Guam?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi