Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Instead of the AOE limit, why not add a sort of enrage mechanics to the mobs ?

When you pull more than 5 mobs, they become enraged and the more you pull the more powerful that enrage will be, so :

- current content will stay challenging for those that like mass pulls
    - no more awkward to hit 20 mobs but only 5 are injured / killed
    - the enrage can be disabled for old content so it won't screw farmers

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    or lowering damage up 70, 50, 30, 10 while above x target.

aoe caps are not a good balancing act. Blizzard with target caps... Like they nerfed themself.

any soluution is a better one
    Last edited by froschhure; 2020-10-19 at 10:04 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling i am a mess

I don't see any issues with the AoE cap because my class wasn't affected by this change. I am happy melees AoE was brought closer to casters.

DH eye beaming hundreds of mobs was kinda ridiculous and overtuned, lets not forget the rogue's blade flurry, these two classes were in every single bfa m+ meta, glad to see them brought in line.

10+ Year Old Account
    for decades, caster were superiour when it came to aoe -.-

Because why would they need to do something convoluted like that when putting tighter shackles on the strength of certain AoE abilities not only sounds easier to do, but also easier to adjust when needed and healthier for endgame in general?

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    or lowering damage up 70, 50, 30, 20 while above x target.

aoe caps never existed for damage and its not a good "balancing" act.

any soluution is a better one
    Technically, AoE damage started being soft capped sometime in TBC. It was normalized a bit in WotLK with a 10 target soft cap for all AoE abilities which was extended to a 20 target soft cap in patch 5.2 iirc. The abilities that don't list a target cap in the ability description, like Blizzard, Flamestrike, Earthquake etc, still have a 20 target soft cap.

I still don't quite get the changes to a 5/8 target hard cap though. They could've easily soft capped the abilities to 5/8 targets and it would feel infinitely better for the players, especially in legacy content.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Aoe cap is fine. Enrage sounds garbage and unbalancable in m+ with scaling. If you are "screwed" by having to press (insert spam filler ability here) to one shot old trash then I feel sorry for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Technically, AoE damage started being soft capped sometime in TBC. It was normalized a bit in WotLK with a 10 target soft cap for all AoE abilities which was extended to a 20 target soft cap in patch 5.2 iirc. The abilities that don't list a target cap in the ability description, like Blizzard, Flamestrike, Earthquake etc, still have a 20 target soft cap.
    yes indeed. but a softcap at 20 is far better than the current of what was it.. 8?
    Also if they only see mythic + as a problem, why not adding a new affix, where overpulling is not wanted.

The bigger problem is, that they granted nearly every specc huge aoe loads. If they want to nerf, hybrid classes need to lose t heir aoe power.

if the enrage also makes them immune to slows and makes them run faster with more stacks, sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    When you pull more than 5 mobs, they become enraged and the more you pull the more powerful that enrage will be, so :

sure, sounds like a good affix to me

The only reason why Blizzard made a hard cap is because it is by far the easiest option. Lazy design. Instead of making a good solution the just made the simplest.

AoE cap affects mostly meele classes and its for reason. Mythic+ was completly dominated by meele becouse of their heavy cleave, aoe dmg and mobility which made them far superior over casters what you know actualy have to stand still if they want to cast spells. And since mythic+ barely anytime offers point where you could juat stand still and do your aoe rotation, casters start droping dmg.
    Last edited by Elias01; 2020-10-19 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    I don't see any issues with the AoE cap because my class wasn't affected by this change. I am happy melees AoE was brought closer to casters.

DH eye beaming hundreds of mobs was kinda ridiculous and overtuned, lets not forget the rogue's blade flurry, these two classes were in every single bfa m+ meta, glad to see them brought in line.

Since tanks are affected by this, every class is affected by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Since tanks are affected by this, every class is affected by this.
    Affliction warlocks aren't affected by this change. Again I am very happy about this change since I play a caster.
    It takes me about 12 seconds to setup my AoE rotation while a DH and most other melees could just go in there press 1 button and damage everything, how was that balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    Affliction warlocks aren't affected by this change. Again I am very happy about this change since I play a caster.
    It takes me about 12 seconds to setup my AoE rotation while a DH and most other melees could just go in there press 1 button and damage everything, how was that balanced?

Affliction Warlocks ARE affected, because tanks are affected. I am not sure why you think that the randomization of aggro generation does not affect a certain class, but I am willing to learn.

When you pull more than 5 mobs, they become enraged and the more you pull the more powerful that enrage will be, so
    That wouldn't solve half the issues Blizzard's implementation does and create new ones. It's not just about limiting the strength of the abilities, it's also to create a differentiation between "cleave" and "true" AoE abilities.

It is more awkward then an ability only hitting 5 out of 20 mobs as well... why do they suddenly become angry when there's more of them? That makes even less sense than a strike petering out after 5 targets.(which, for the record, isn't to far off from what would actually happen if you tried that)

Sure, damage could increase but that increases dependancy on kite strats (and los kites with mds in the case of ranged mobs). More mobs would have to add slow and hard cc chain protection to really discourage pulling a lot.

Mayby the cap was done because tanking and dps started to become a braindead activities. Tanks had to just try to keep themselves alive since all their aoe skills made so much threath that everybody can just go full nuke.
    It would be utter blasphemy to think that dps needs to be carefull to not overaggro.
    Its like seperating wheat from the chaff. Over eager tanks pull too much and cant hold the mobs that leads to oom/ dead healer and wipe. Over eager dps overaggroes mobs and gets slapped that leads to a dead dps. Time losses that make or break mythic runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    Mayby the cap was done because tanking and dps started to become a braindead activities. Tanks had to just try to keep themselves alive since all their aoe skills made so much threath that everybody can just go full nuke.
    It would be utter blasphemy to think that dps needs to be carefull to not overaggro.
    Its like seperating wheat from the chaff. Over eager tanks pull too much and cant hold the mobs that leads to oom/ dead healer and wipe. Over eager dps overaggroes mobs and gets slapped that leads to a dead dps. Time losses that make or break mythic runs.
    It was added because of what people did in MDI, that it the reason.

Blizzard thinks balancing AoE around what the top 1% do during a mythic+ tournament is the right way to go about things, because a tiny amount of groups are able to pull 15 mobs + a boss and destroy everything (because of DKs), Blizzard invented M+, they created the win conditions so what the hell are competitive groups going to do? pull tons of mobs because you need to kill a certain amount then they are going to take those tons of mobs and pull a boss with them because this entire thing is timed as well.

They do this all while loading dungeons and raids with so much trash and are supersized when again the top 1% find ways to clear it as fast as possible.

Pointless change.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    It was added because of what people did in MDI, that it the reason.

Blizzard thinks balancing AoE around what the top 1% do during a mythic+ tournament is the right way to go about things, because a tiny amount of groups are able to pull 15 mobs + a boss and destroy everything (because of DKs), Blizzard invented M+, they created the win conditions so what the hell are competitive groups going to do? pull tons of mobs because you need to kill a certain amount then they are going to take those tons of mobs and pull a boss with them because this entire thing is timed as well.

They do this all while loading dungeons and raids with so much trash and are supersized when again the top 1% find ways to clear it as fast as possible.

Pointless change.
    This and it screws the majority of the players.