Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    I just had someone call Forbes, AP News, and Reuters as left-wing propaganda, and they were serious =\
    Yep, I have people tell me that I need an "independent" source when I link them such pages like NPR, BBC, and whatnot. What they really mean, is they want someone like Fox News, Breitbart, or OANN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    They have always been, left-wing issues gaining momentum would hurt big companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Truth is truth. That personal truths exist does not change that. Nor does that concept mean any opinion is "truth".
    Truth is only something that can be verified with hard data affirming it to be the truth.

So much of politics and especially social politics lays in a nebulous realm of sociological sudo babble that people just don't trust sources anymore.

But I hold no truck, no respect for any media sources, writers or artists, wastes of space the lot of them nowadays.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-19 at 11:37 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    What a load of bs, neo-liberals have always disliked both conservatives + any leftist/progressives.
    Going after them both has been ongoing for quite some time now.

Progressives, antiwar especially during dem governments have been treated unwelcome..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-10-19 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Yep, I have people tell me that I need an "independent" source when I link them such pages like NPR, BBC, and whatnot. What they really mean, is they want someone like Fox News, Breitbart, or OANN.
    I originally read the piece on Gizmodo so I linked the "independent" source instead.

I was hoping to enrage a few more Trumpsters but I guess they're too busy masturbating over Mother Jones losing half a million in revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I mean I can think of several annoying canned arguments that torpedo that concept...

I would argue that when it comes to current social issues we rely on theory for to often for this "golden truth " to exist.

Still I think this move is a step in the right direction.
    But that's not what we are talking about the right wing are arguing against basic facts like climate change, epidemiology and science and technology in general. They have declared war on facts and truths humans figured out centuries ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Truth is only something that can be verified with hard data affirming it to be the truth.

So much of politics and especially social politics lays in a nebulous realm of sociological sudo babble that people just don't trust sources anymore.

But I hold no truck, no respect for any media sources, writers or artists, wastes of space the lot of them nowadays.
    Again the right wing in this country has rebelled against science and facts, this is not about media sources this is about being against basic things like viruses transmit from people to people. They view COVID-19 as a hoax that the media is hyping up even after so many deaths and their dear leader getting it.

Just as Facebook is free to lean left, that are also free to lean alt-right.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    No way that's not allowed according to these "small government" conservatives they should be told what to do by the president of the US. All these "conservatives" have converted to authoritarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    No way that's not allowed according to these "small government" conservatives they should be told what to do by the president of the US. All these "conservatives" have converted to authoritarianism.
    That's because there's nothing small_government or conservative about them.

They are fascists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Just like the rest of us are allowed to critize them for the damages it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Just like the rest of us are allowed to critize them for the damages it causes.
    That's what freedom of speech is all about, you can scream all you like.

Feel free to take your business elsewhere.

But that's not what we are talking about the right wing are arguing against basic facts like climate change, epidemiology and science and technology in general. They have declared war on facts and truths humans figured out centuries ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Again the right wing in this country has rebelled against science and facts, this is not about media sources this is about being against basic things like viruses transmit from people to people. They view COVID-19 as a hoax that the media is hyping up even after so many deaths and their dear leader getting it.
    and do you blame people though?

i took a look at american coverage of the past little epidemics in africa and fuck me it no wonder the american people dont belive the american press anymore, i barely tollerate the british press because they have a tendandcy to over blow stuff for clicks.

but jesus americas coveredge of ebola, swine flu, e.t.c made it sound like the world was ending, its very litterally the cry wolf thing.

ultimatly its the media thats in large part to blame with the state of both america and the world right now, because they completly abandoned reason for click bait. they want to generate outrage and fear and anger because it drives people to them, to use there sites.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-19 at 01:52 PM.

and do you blame people though?

i took a look at american coverage of the past little epidemics in africa and fuck me it no wonder the american people dont belive the american press anymore, i barely tollerate the british press because they have a tendandcy to over blow stuff for clicks.

but jesus americas coveredge of ebola, swine flu, e.t.c made it sound like the world was ending, its very litterally the cry wolf thing.

ultimatly its the media thats in large part to blame with the state of both america and the world right now, because they completly abandoned reason for click bait. they want to generate outrage and fear and anger because it drives people to them, to use there sites.
    The media is to blame for people not believing science they learned in high school? seriously?

10+ Year Old Account
    The media is to blame for people not believing science they learned in high school? seriously?
    That ignores how media like facebook reinforces the idiotic believes some people hold and how terrible certain high schools can be.

- - - Updated - - -

Have we decided on any of those things?

Let's take climate change. Is climate change something we can realistically influence by reducing pollution when the majority of it seems to be caused by biological life? If so is it worth it to hinder industrial progress especially when forgien nations refuse to in order to stave off the inevitable?

For epidemiology. Unrated masks don't actually work or do anything yet we have made them a requirement. I understand the mentality of why we did so. You have to comfort people and let them feel they are making a difference but our measures do not actually combat infection numbers.

Science would lead me into forbidden topics and I don't really know what technology the right shuns nome comes to mind immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    That ignores how media like facebook reinforces the idiotic believes some people hold and how terrible certain high schools can be.
    okay assuming all that what about basic common sense, Donald Trump got COVID and had to go to the hospital most people don't go to the hospital for the flu. When the guy telling you it's just a regular flu admits taking multiple experimental drugs, steroids along with having an army of doctors rush to help him maybe put 2+2 together?

a lie told often enough.....

but yes it is, because highschool was a long time ago, because the teachers there well dull, boring and half listened to, and the media repeates the narrative day in and day out over and over and over in catchy one liners to push people to consume there content.

this is a world where more people know about the kardashians than the higgs boson, thats the reality.

Have we decided on any of those things?
    Yes we did and until a few years ago the only argument was how to tackle it, Richard Nixon came up with the EPA, carbon taxing is the right wing solution to climate change. I can go on with the list this is not ancient history this is recent history the whole questioning known scientific facts is something new to the right.

- - - Updated - - -

a lie told often enough.....

but yes it is, because highschool was a long time ago, because the teachers there well dull, boring and half listened to, and the media repeates the narrative day in and day out over and over and over in catchy one liners to push people to consume there content.

this is a world where more people know about the kardashians than the higgs boson, thats the reality.
    How about common sense? like listening to your own personal Doctor because I can tell you no doctor is telling these people to go to rallies without masks packed like cattle during a pandemic.

The only issue I see is that there isnt really a universal truth anymore. Over the decade it's been eroded with people arguing their version of truth more often then actual truth.
    The fuck are you talking about? There IS truth and it is independent of human perception. You seem to suggests that truth is actually derived from consensus and so it's hard for truth to exist when were so divided. It may be hard for people to accept what is true, now more than in the past, but truth exists as much as it ever did.

10+ Year Old Account
    okay assuming all that what about basic common sense, Donald Trump got COVID and had to go to the hospital most people don't go to the hospital for the flu. When the guy telling you it's just a regular flu admits taking multiple experimental drugs, steroids along with having an army of doctors rush to help him maybe put 2+2 together?
    This is about more than just people who think covid is the flu.