Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Yes we did and until a few years ago the only argument was how to tackle it, Richard Nixon came up with the EPA, carbon taxing is the right wing solution to climate change. I can go on with the list this is not ancient history this is recent history the whole questioning known scientific facts is something new to the right.

- - - Updated - - -

How about common sense? like listening to your own personal Doctor because I can tell you no doctor is telling these people to go to rallies without masks packed like cattle during a pandemic.
    I mean that isn't how this works... you can't just pile on accusations to one side using incomplete data...

Doctors were telling people it was ok to attend BLM rallies during convid... its comforting to think that there is a side that won't bury or ignore health and safety to press their agenda. There might well be but it isn't a part of either major party in the states.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    The fuck are you talking about? There IS truth and it is independent of human perception. You seem to suggests that truth is actually derived from consensus and so it's hard for truth to exist when were so divided. It may be hard for people to accept what is true, now more than in the past, but truth exists as much as it ever did.
    You asked a very philosophical question and I'm not sure if the working answer humans commonly use would be satisfactory to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    This is about more than just people who think covid is the flu.
    I know but even that they will not accept, if they cannot do this basic level of thinking what hope is there for them?

Yes we did and until a few years ago the only argument was how to tackle it, Richard Nixon came up with the EPA, carbon taxing is the right wing solution to climate change. I can go on with the list this is not ancient history this is recent history the whole questioning known scientific facts is something new to the right.

- - - Updated - - -

How about common sense? like listening to your own personal Doctor because I can tell you no doctor is telling these people to go to rallies without masks packed like cattle during a pandemic.
    No ones asking there doctors for permission to attend rallys and protests

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I mean that isn't how this works... you can't just pile on accusations to one side using incomplete data...
    Such as what? the right wing accepted science before now they don't simple as that.

Doctors were telling people it was ok to attend BLM rallies during convid... its comforting to think that there is a side that won't bury or ignore health and safety to press their agenda. There might well be but it isn't a part of either major party in the states.
    Doctors told them to go to protests without even wearing masks and indoors? feel free to link that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    No ones asking there doctors for permission to attend rallys and protests
    Their doctors like mine have told them how serious this is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I know but even that they will not accept, if they cannot do this basic level of thinking what hope is there for them?
    Because they don't all belief its just a flu, multiple conspricy theories exist.

Such as what? the right wing accepted science before now they don't simple as that.

Doctors told them to go to protests without even wearing masks and indoors? feel free to link that.

- - - Updated - - -

Amd for the last 30 years those same doctors have been profiting from an obesity crisis and trying to sell all materials of drugs that would make an EU citizens head spin.

- - - Updated - - -

Look I don't know if they told them to wear masks or not I'm sure I can find some who did but considering it mostly transpired over twitter and people here think spamming the first result off google is debating I'm not going to bother.

Let's say they all wore masks. Unless they were properly rated masks something the public is currently unable to purchase as they are reserved for medical personal them wearing masks is a moot point.

Amd for the last 30 years those same doctors have been profiting from an obesity crisis and trying to sell all materials of drugs that would make an EU citizens head spin.
    Nutrition is a mess when it comes to studies, outcomes and special interests and most people don't learn that in school. In the US it's even worse since it's basically the wild west without regulations but that's a different topic. That's like saying neurology is irrelevant because of psychological studies.

- - - Updated - - -

Look I don't know if they told them to wear masks or not I'm sure I can find some who did but considering it mostly transpired over twitter and people here think spamming the first result off google is debating I'm not going to bother.

Let's say they all wore masks. Unless they were properly rated masks something the public is currently unable to purchase as they are reserved for medical personal them wearing masks is a moot point.
    multi layered cloth masks are freely available everywhere early in the pandemic they weren't but this was months ago.

Nutrition is a mess when it comes to studies, outcomes and special interests and most people don't learn that in school. In the US it's even worse since it's basically the wild west without regulations but that's a different topic. That's like saying neurology is irrelevant because of psychological studies.

- - - Updated - - -

multi layered cloth masks are freely available everywhere early in the pandemic they weren't but this was months ago.
    I mean that is neat but what are they rated at? Cloth masks can't stop large particles like you would find in smoke the idea they offer anywhere close to adequate protection from viral infection is the height of folly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Should also be mentioned, that even that is moronic to fall for this sort of shit, it does not change that social media reinforces it. on YT it gets really problematic with its algorithm.

I mean that is neat but what are they rated at? Cloth masks can't stop large particles like you would find in smoke the idea they offer anywhere close to adequate protection from viral infection is the height of folly.
    There are levels of protection guess what ranks the lowest having no mask which is pretty fucking obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Describing your own inability to understand what truth actually is really isn't the win you think it is, dude.
    Not like you can understand what the truth is either.
    To find the "truth" you have to build a hypothesis and an experiment to falsify or prove it. Furthermore the experiment has to be replicable by others.

Politics are based on social sciences, not natural sciences. In social sciences experiments are notoriously hard to conduct and most of it isn't even experimental in nature but rather relies on empirical data analysis that is notoriously unreliable due to problems with establishing causality, sampling errors and various biases that skew the data and conclusions.

You can't have "truth" in politics. You can have things that seem like they can be true but you can never be 100% sure.
    And it's not like most of modern politics are even based on science in the first place. They are based on hearsay, reports by "independent journalists" and hocus-pocus theories by philosophers turned social scientists.

You can't censor opposing opinions just because the majority believes something else to be the truth despite not knowing it for 100%.

There are levels of protection guess what ranks the lowest having no mask which is pretty fucking obvious.
    I mean is that your embracing of scientific data? The concept that an unrated ineffective mask might be better then nothing...

You understand science and religion are not interchangeable... you should treat science as an infallible truth spoken from a high priest...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    To find the "truth" you have to build a hypothesis and an experiment to falsify or prove it. Furthermore the experiment has to be replicable by others.

Politics are based on social sciences, not natural sciences. In social sciences experiments are notoriously hard to conduct and most of it isn't even experimental in nature but rather relies on empirical data analysis that is notoriously unreliable due to problems with establishing causality, sampling errors and various biases that skew the data and conclusions.

You can't have "truth" in politics. You can have things that seem like they can be true but you can never be 100% sure.
    And it's not like most of modern politics are even based on science in the first place. They are based on hearsay, reports by "independent journalists" and hocus-pocus theories by philosophers turned social scientists.

You can't censor opposing opinions just because the majority believes something else to be the truth despite not knowing it for 100%.
    I don't know why, but this just reminds me off Batman vs Superman, and the absolutely incredible line from Bruce Wayne "and if we believe there’s even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty".

So instead of ruling in accordance to what is 99 % right, we should instead rule by the 1 % that could possibly be right?
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

I mean is that your embracing of scientific data? The concept that an unrated ineffective mask might be better then nothing...

You understand science and religion are not interchangeable... you should treat science as an infallible truth spoken from a high priest...
    No that's not just science it's common sense it's something we figured out through centuries of dealing with pandemics. The dam catholic church during the black plague had enough common sense to recommend people wear masks. Of course they also thought that masturbation gave you the plague, if those nut jobs figured that out what's your excuse?
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2020-10-19 at 03:03 PM.

No that's not just science it's common sense it's something we figured out through centuries of dealing with pandemics. The dam catholic church during the black plague had enough common sense to recommend people wear masks. Of course they also thought that masturbation passed the plague, if those nut jobs figured that out what's your excuse?
    It is also a fairly easy experiment, or rather, just a question. You wanna be coughed in the face by someone that is clearly sick, with or without something, even the slightest sieve in between you?
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

- - - Updated - - -

its the same principles, like why do you think nutrition is so complex? or complicated? are you trying to fine tune your body to the peak of athletics? if not then why do you think as an avedge joe its fine to just gloss over the fact most of your nation are so fucking fat they find it easier trying to make turning them selves into a blob of blubber socially acceptable rather than simply stop stuffing there mouths ?

this is what im talking about...why dont you trust common sense on that issue? because your head has been filled with stuff thats not true, half true, true but not relevent to you that you wont even just say the basic crap you were taught in high school about staying some what healthy, because "nutrition is complicated" no ones saying be a nutritionist, you dont need a bloody nutritionist to loose wait or stay healthy as a person who would otherise be healthy ffs.. a nutritionist should only be needed for people with specific medical conditions that require a controled special diet, being fat isnt one of them.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-19 at 03:16 PM.

its the same principles, like why do you think nutrition is so complex? or complicated? are you trying to fine tune your body to the peak of athletics? if not then why do you think as an avedge joe its fine to just gloss over the fact most of your nation are so fucking fat they find it easier trying to make turning them selves into a blob of blubber social acceptable rather than simply stop stuffing there mouths ?
    you kind of missed the point you are basically comparing nutrition to gravity.

Hey Endus, this guy just tried to explain the scientific method to you.

I mean I can think of several annoying canned arguments that torpedo that concept...

I would argue that when it comes to current social issues we rely on theory for to often for this "golden truth " to exist.

Still I think this move is a step in the right direction.
    Yeah yeah we can go all about what the truth really is about but I dont think a basic filter that tackles articles that say "George Bush did 9/11" is trying to solve those issues and more like just super basic fact checking

- - - Updated - - -

You are giving social sciences way too much credit lol

Most fields still do "Qualitative research " which like LMAO

Sociology, Political Science and Economics are the only fields among the social sciences that are trying to make a change all things given
    Last edited by NED funded; 2020-10-19 at 03:51 PM.