Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notJoyful View Post
    Saying the N-word isn't really racist in Sweden. Sorry.
    Say it to the wrong person of color and see how 'isn't really racist' it feels when they knock your teeth out.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Saying the N-word isn't really racist in Sweden. Sorry.
    I don't know which darkest cousin fucking part of Sweden you're referring to, but I know for a fact it is considered racist atleast every part where there's running water and electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Anger isnt rational or thought out. If I call someone a cocksucking redneck who fucks sheep does that mean I hate gay people/rural white people or think the person is into bestiality or that I am? Or does me calling someone a dumb bitch doesn't mean I hate women? No it just means I'm saying something that I think will piss them off.

Care to explain?
    It actually does. There are a lot of things you can call people without using racial\homophobic\sexist comments. Because you chose to use those types of slurs shows that you are homophobic and you think you're better than a woman. To actually try to defend them shows that your hatred is deep seated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Gaebryel Quintyne View Post
    I agree with this fully. People just don't understand nowadays that their actions have consequences, no matter what kind of actions they may be.
    This is a dumb strawman. People understand that actions have consequences. They just disagree on what those consequences should entail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Typically, from my understanding, it's not the word that matters when people say it in rage, it's just an explicative.
    Then your understanding is wrong.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    The action is still racist, my friend. Whether the person is themselves are a malignant racist is honestly beside the point. The action is racist. Ergo, if they are engaging in it, they are being racist.
    That's a very reductive way of viewing racism, and essentially gives racism a pseudo transitive nature (i.e.: if you are associated with something racist, you are therefore supporting something racist, therefore you are a racist).

You're trying to argue intent, which again is largely irrelevant. It's impact that makes the action racist in this case. If they're using the N-word as a general insult, it's still an implication that being black is a negative thing. That is inherently racist. Much the same that using "gay" as an insult implies that being gay is a bad thing. Thus inherently homophobic, whether or not they actually hate gay people.
    No, you're missing the point. What they're doing isn't internalizing that black people are "bad", they've identified it as being an explicative because society - rightly - gives the word a certain degree of deference because of its gravity. It's not an explicative because they've drawn a connection to the meaning and consider it as being negative, they've basically grouped it in with their list of explicatives because it's been societally reinforced as being a "bad" word. There are obviously caveats, but there's a reason why context is important in language.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Then your understanding is wrong.
    Good input, may suggest adding a bit more content to demonstrate why you think something.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Tips for surviving Cancel Culture

- Always assume you’re being recorded
    - Use common sense
    - Don’t be sexist
    - Don’t be racist

It’s EZ

No, using a racial slur does not make you a racist

Because context fucking matters

No, the problem here is that someone from an entierly differnt culture got "cought" being racist. If he really was, which I'm not saying he couldn't be, he'd show somewhere else.
    What the fuck are you talking about? Are you trying to fool people into believing that Sweden is not sharing the normal, up to date civilized values of the world where racist terms are not ok? That Sweden is somehow a different culture? Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    Another white boy downplaying how serious issue racism is, more news at 11.
    "White boy"? Huh, bringing skin color into it...classic racist behavior 101. You really should bo ashamed of yourself, nigglet.

Also, as someone from EU, I have to admit murican culture is really interesting to me. This white guilt that dems drilled into you, where nowadays you keep apologizing for being white, for the "racism" of the past, which you had absolutely no hand in, where you consider "racism" the most heinous of crimes, where to you saying "nigger" is literally a worse crime than murder or rape...It's baffling, it really is. And I wish I was actually exaggerating, but if anything, this thread is kind of the best example that I'm not, sadly.

Infracted for Forbidden Topics: Derogatory terms.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2020-10-21 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Good input, may suggest adding a bit more content to demonstrate why you think something.
    I shouldn't have to explain to you why the word matters in situations like this - its basic common sense. If you're pissed off and the first word you go to is nigger, or kyke, or chink or whatever other explicitly racist term you can think of, that is not an impulse or a 'eh just an expletive' moment.

You are trying to defend something that cannot be defended. Do yourself a favor and stop.

I once got in a very heated argument with a Muslim woman for hitting my brand-new car (accidentally) with a shopping cart. Left a good sized ding in the paint. I was relatively calm at first, but it got ugly fast and shouting/insults ensued - but at no point did I go after her religion/etc. The nastiest thing I said was "pay attention next time, you fucking idiot!"

And that's my point. It is possible to be ugly, awful, horrible and unreasonable without targeting race/orientation/etc. If that's your first impulse, or even your last impulse, you are the problem 100%.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-10-19 at 09:58 PM.

Something being construed as sexist/racist in current time*

*Current time can be shifted to whenever the reader reads this
    Yeah, because luckily times change and we evolve at the right direction atleast in some ways as a species. Otherwise it would be still ay-okay to have slaves, rape and murder entier civilizations in the name of exploration etc. and all that good shit.

(Yeah, extreme hyperboles are needed with some imbeciles, not pointing any fingers tho)
    Last edited by Lubefist; 2020-10-19 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    So your saying if you call someone a dumb redneck your racist against whites?
    I made no judgements based on use of slurs in my original post. I said that the only people I'd ever heard use the n-word when they're angry I already believed to be racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

I have no idea where you're from, but as someone that is somewhat "young" in current stockholm, no one really thinks of America as the country to take their leads from. In the school system and most work places, it's just something that is frowned down upon (IE, not something you should do for obvious reasons.....), but not something that will get you fired.
    I'm from Finland, my ex-girlfriend lived in Stockholm and I visit Sweden many times every year and I can say that you're 100% full of shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I shouldn't have to explain to you why the word matters in situations like this - its basic common sense. If you're pissed off and the first word you go to is nigger, or kyke, or chink or whatever other explicitly racist term you can think of, that is not an impulse or a 'eh just an expletive' moment.

You are trying to defend something that cannot be defended. Do yourself a favor and stop.
    There seems to be a major disconnect here, and you're fundamentally not understanding anything I've said. I've been very clear that people should not use those words and should seek to either (1) resolve their anger issues which are causing them to should explicatives for no reason or (2) remove words considered problematic from their "dictionary" and train habits in which they use less offensive words when raging.

My contention isn't that people should stop using the words.
    My contention isn't that people should look to not have momentary outbursts of rage.
    My contention is that a person isn't necessarily intending to be racist when they say something that is offensive.

When I ask for more content in your response, it is because I want to understand why you believe what you do. I can understand viewpoints like what Sooba responded to me with, which is sort of an intent vs. effect argument; the effect you produce by using those words is racist, therefore the action is racist regardless of intent. I have some minor contention with that, but I don't think what I've said is supporting flippant usage of the word.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    So I guess black people are racist since they call each other that all the time? Either a word is offensive and no one uses it or it isn’t and anyone can use it. Can’t have it both ways.

I have zero issues with homosexuals. I use the word fag all the time including to gay friends. Know how many fucks they or anyone else give?

Zero because they’re not sensitive snowflakes looking to be offended.
    many black people find it offensive even when other black people use it yes, this isn't some new thing either there is no shortage of media bemoaning black people using it with luke cage being an example just a couple of years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RYAcjUV-4

There was this one incident in-game that happened in my guild chat like a few years ago (I am with the same guild for like 3 maybe 4 years now). I don't know word for word but this is what happened... It's kind of related to the OT:

What happened was that there was this new person who joined the guild... I don't know if the GM invited him or a friend invited them or even just a random from the trade chat or something lol. But anyway, I think it happened the same day he joined but basically he called something that happened to him in-game "gay", which was obviously apparent that the term was used to call whatever happened to him bad. I told him right away in guild chat that I would prefer that he not say the word "gay" in regards to something bad or use it in a bad connotation (I have been the victim of this type of name-calling all through my school years and it does take its toll on you mentally, even though they are just words... But a naive and non-mature mind of a teenager would not be able to reason that this name-calling should not be taken personally).

I believe then he said something to the effect that he can say whatever he wants whenever he feels like it and he, I think, admitted that he was indeed using the word "gay" to call something bad. I re-iterated to him that it is offensive and he should not use that in guild chat. And I think what next happened was a bit shocking to me at the time (I was really naïve and didn't know people like this exist everywhere). He said in the guild chat, that he is not going to be in guild anymore, especially where it is not allowed for him to say whatever he wants whenever he feels like it. He said this the same day he joined and then /gquit.

I was also kind of new to the guild, like maybe been in the guild for a few months, but I kind of thought that "I" said something wrong. I actually apologized to everyone in the guild chat right after for making him leave the guild because of what I said. Other people chimed in saying that I did nothing wrong and agreed with me that it was offensive and should not be said in that way in guild chat (or anywhere else for that matter). Also, the GM was online at the time so she did read everything that happened. She told me that I don't need to apologize for someone else who thinks that being offensive in whatever way he wants is acceptable behaviour. I still remember that my ears were burning at the time this whole event happened. I thought I was gonna get gkicked because maybe I might have made someone's friend in the guild who might be the GM's friend leave because of what I said lol. I was really fond of that guild at that time and still love the guild to this day so I definitely did not want to leave the guild or even get gkicked for something that would be considered actually my fault (Mind you I was at that time very naive to these supposed like everyday RL happenings). I personally don't like to make people feel offended or feel bad by what something I might have said and they take a sudden or abrupt reaction to it afterwards, or even to the people/bystanders present at the time to make them feel uncomfortable in any way in that kind of situation. Basically, I don't like to disappoint anyone or anyone's perspective they might have about me.

Sorry for the lengthy post lol. I just felt like what happened to me might be related to the OT . I realized that there do exist people who might have done something bad but they don't accept or feel any kind of remorse for what they might have done because they feel that their action was somehow justified/acceptable or not really something to be offended by.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    This is a dumb strawman. People understand that actions have consequences. They just disagree on what those consequences should entail.
    Oh yeah. I meant that like people do not understand that whatever bad action they might have taken, that they are completely in the right but get mad when there are consequences for those bad actions. They think that whatever they have done is acceptable and should not be held accountable for that action because they, in the first place, don't think that what they did was wrong even though it's blatantly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    rape and murder entier civilizations in the name of exploration etc.
    We technically still do this but just not in the name of exploration.

They're way to hard on pvpers but lenient as hell on the pve side of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    many black people find it offensive even when other black people use it yes, this isn't some new thing either there is no shortage of media bemoaning black people using it with luke cage being an example just a couple of years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RYAcjUV-4
    I'm black and I think its offensive but give them a chance to change... People make mistakes and indefinite ban is to far.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    We technically still do this but just not in the name of exploration.
    Yeah you ain't wrong.