Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Pvp is toxic, more news at 11. Doesn't make them racist snowflake you've probably dropped n word and fag as much as the rest of us. Welcome to the internet . If my private conversations amongst friends were recorded we would probably be in prison because of retards who take shit seriously.
    I think you really need to reexamine this. I don't think most people are like that and if they were it would be sad.
    I admit in my most angry state I have dropped the four letter f/s/d bombs but how would it even occur to someone to use the n-word unless that was already in your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    "I said the n-word one time and one time a modified version of it), but that does not make me a racist." - Lol, stressed out and angry calling someone n-slur as an insult is pretty fucking textbook racist behaviour.
    Calling someone the N word as an insult because your angry at them is not textbook racist behavior. Its spur of the moment and has more to do with the times than actual racism. The N word is a derogatory term but that doesnt make the user a racist. Alot more has to go into it in order for the user to be a racist.

Racists that actually used the term during jim crow, or the KKK or around the time of the civil war did not need anger to spur them to use the N-word. It flowed from the natural disdain of Africans or the view that they were superior to blacks at the time.

I havent heard the audio but i would assume this user like most users on the internet, the Nword has become part of alot of young peoples vernacular in the internet age. Especially with african americans defending its usage in their own community (dumbest thing ever btw) This usage has spread to whites as well who feel like they are apart of the african american culture (Rapper Eminem as an example). This spread to white culture as a result so many young whites who gravitated to african american culture began singing rap lyrics that used the N word and as the years went on the N word was heard more and more and became part of our language in a different way. The internet and its anonymity has only driven this further.

Now all of a sudden people want to "cancel" people who use it online who arent black themselves.

Look iono if this guy is a racist. But im not going to go around calling someone a sexist because they called a girl in their chat the B word after she made fun of him for dying in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    What about black people? They say it all the time...
    We know, it's complicated for people outside of our culture. I hate when my own people use that hateful label that was thrust upon us. However, I realize that a great number of us consider using that word as a form of "taking it back".

It's also depending upon how its said. Yes, intention means something. If someone walks up to me, from my people and says it, I'll ask that he not do that, but we'll still shake hands (well, not so much right now) and go on about our day.

If someone outside of my culture says it to me, I'll ask that he not do that and there will be a palpable tension between us. If that person says it again, it's time to cut ties with that individual and not speak to them anymore at the very least.
    Last edited by G3 Ghost; 2020-10-20 at 02:25 AM.

Can you guys imagine how companies would act to the old Xbox live chats???

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What about black people? They say it all the time...
    and many black people don't want other black people to say it either to the point that said dislike it makes it into popular media rather regally.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    On the other normalizing stuff can be how it starts, and given the way these guys try to weasel out from under it does make me suspect they're of the type that is prone to using weaker others as excuses for their own failings, which often precedes genuine racistic reasoning and sometimes acts.
    You're very much correct here, this is how it starts.
    You start insulting a group, even just mildly, and it makes that group 'other' to the main group.
    Then people insult them a little harder, then go a little further, and then a little further, and each time it's only a teeny bit further than what was already acceptable, so nobody really cares, and then what started as 'harmless insults' becomes a tribal 'us vs them' mentality and one thing that humans are *very* good at is self-justifying whatever happens to "Them" because they're "Not Us" and they can't be trusted.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    So I'm curious how this would have played out if the streamer was black. Like it or not, it's sorta accepted that black people can use the n-word, while other races cannot. If a few black friends are pvping and streaming their matches on Twitch, and they throw the n-word around, would Blizzard ban them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    So I'm curious how this would have played out if the streamer was black. Like it or not, it's sorta accepted that black people can use the n-word, while other races cannot. If a few black friends are pvping and streaming their matches on Twitch, and they throw the n-word around, would Blizzard ban them as well?
    As a black person, I would hope so. To be honest, though, I'm not sure what would happen. Even if Blizzard did ban them, I doubt that the community would rail against them so hard.

Once again, though, the difference is that its "our word". I know it doesn't make a ton of sense to someone not part of the culture, but it is what it is.

(See previous post for declaration that I don't like it when anyone says it.)

It's super easy not to use slurs, I've literally never done it. Actions have consequences.

Also lol @ people who complain about SJW or call people "snowflakes" like they just can't live without being racist or saying certain things. Like it wouldn't be better for society as a whole if racism, sexism, etc didn't exist?

Just another case of people being/forced to be hypocrites because politics. Bad on them for being caught though.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

This is disgusting how far cancel culture goes....

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I've called people all manner of slurs.

But never the n-word, because I might be angry, but I'm not racist and understand the history of the word...
    so... there is a difference if you insult someone by calling them different names/slurs, calling their family members... etc, etc, etc... but if you provoke them by their skin color- then that's a deadly sin?

am I wrong, or...?
    Last edited by Palapop; 2020-10-20 at 03:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megitsune View Post
    It's super easy not to use slurs, I've literally never done it. Actions have consequences.

Also lol @ people who complain about SJW or call people "snowflakes" like they just can't live without being racist or saying certain things. Like it wouldn't be better for society as a whole if racism, sexism, etc didn't exist?
    Amen. The irony of the people crying 'SJW! Snowflakes' is that they, themselves, seem like snowflakes who are mad that they can't get away with being racist/homophobic etc assholes.

"REEEEEE, I called someone a ni**er and I got banned! I'm the victim!"
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yeah, I haven't said it since I was in middle school trying to look cool. IM 29 now.
    Pretty sure I'd have an aneurysm if I didn't say it at least 10 times a day

also 29

My opinion is that when you see usage like the one referenced here, it's about transgression, as most swearing is about. It's not intended as a racial slur. Swearing is an immature way to break a rule. And it's about being told "you can't say this word that you hear all the time," like how your dad swears when he bangs his hand and tells you that you can't say the curse word he just yelled.

The message that this word should never be said is undercut by the literally hundreds of times a year everyone hears members of the black community use it. That's what keeps it in the forefront of everyone's mind as the ultimate transgressive word to say, something that cool rappers say constantly. And young people, particularly boys, transgress.

You never hear people using any other racial slurs - not because they don't exist, but because those communities have not kept the word alive. Jewish people don't go around referring to each other as k words. The whole "you can't use it, but we can" paradigm is just really dumb. If the black community wasn't keeping the word alive, it would only exist on the very fringes of society, but as of now, it's absolutely everywhere. So as a result, every once in a while a white person will say it just to push a boundary. To me, that's not grounds for cancelling them. It's pretty hypocritical.
    I don't disagree with that sentiment. I hate (for the people in the back) when it's used by anyone, anytime.

The point is, though, that there are consequences. This kid got lucky that his consequence is that he can't play his game. If he had said it in person, to a black person, the outcome could have been far worse. I've personally seen some kid thinking that he could "push the boundaries" under the guise of "boys will be boys" and he got stomped for it.

I found a very good article that explains it. Most of us can't find the words to properly illustrate why it's okay for us and not for you, myself included. So here it is:
    https://www.dailytarheel.com/article...oure-not-black

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post

So... English is not my mothers tongue. But, tbh... as I grew up watching Hollywood movies, listening to some random pop/rap music (nothing spec... just the usual things that you could catch on any radio station in your car).... I thought that the "n word" wasn't an insult AT ALL.

I mean, black people are calling each other almost by default that way.

Only when I met some other people from online games, etc, etc, etc... I realized that it's a deadly sin for non-black person to use the "n word". Yet, no one gives a flying horse about it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    so... there is a difference if you insult someone by calling them different names/slurs, calling their family members... etc, etc, etc... but if you provoke them by their skin color- then that's a deadly sin? am I wrong, or...?
    Any insult can get you into trouble. It isn't cancel culture it is saying stupid stuff and paying the price. But yes some insults, while still bad, will get you in less trouble. There is no reason for anyone to say some of the stuff people say just because they are upset or something.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-10-20 at 03:17 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Any insult can get you into trouble. It isn't cancel culture it is saying stupid stuff and paying the price. But yes some insults, while still bad, will get you in less trouble. There is no reason for anyone to say some of the stuff people say just because they are upset or something.
    I kinda know what would get you into less trouble. Sad but still... true...

Oh I agree that it's obviously abhorrent and shouldn't be used, but I think given its place in pop culture, I think the punishment for a white dude saying it in an isolated situation should be, "seriously dude, don't say that again", not anything more serious unless it's repeated transgression or obviously racial. When the word is as pervasive as it is, I think transgressions should be expected, not shocking. When you say the punishment is that he can't play his game, I mean, he's the best in the world at it and it just got taken away. That's a big freaking punishment.
    Given its place in pop culture is generally the excuse of racist shitheads. It's prevalence in pop culture is also exactly why you and other tools should know that dropping it in certain contexts is a huge no no.

When the word is as pervasive as it is you're an absolute dumb fucking moron to drop it. Especially in a place where you know that shit isn't looked kindly upon.

I've been permabanned for being toxic. I understood why I received that punishment. People like you who excuse and justify it are almost worse than the offending asshole.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2020-10-20 at 03:27 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    This is disgusting how far cancel culture goes....

so... there is a difference if you insult someone by calling them different names/slurs, calling their family members... etc, etc, etc... but if you provoke them by their skin color- then that's a deadly sin?

am I wrong, or...?
    My way bases itself in what the other person did, calling them racist slurs would instantly make me a hypocrite as I would then go from right fully angry to simply spewing bigotry. Not sure how insulting their family members would come into play unless they too did something, but the same rules apply.

Attempting to gaslight me on this topic is quite futile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Amen. The irony of the people crying 'SJW! Snowflakes' is that they, themselves, seem like snowflakes who are mad that they can't get away with being racist/homophobic etc assholes.

"REEEEEE, I called someone a ni**er and I got banned! I'm the victim!"
    That sums up the supposed victims of "RADICAL SJWs" AND "CANCEL CULTURE" quite well.

Man, this thread is peak internet.