Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    So it would be nice to have a weekly quest with the requirements of "complete 3 5mans with 3 unique specs or 3 battlegrounds/arenas/etc. with 3 unique specs or 3 world/raid bosses with 3 unique specs" (rewards I don't know: decide).
    Even better, remove all world quests and put a weekly quest that consist on making 3 mage tower challenges (only bosses) with each one of your specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m a healer. I don’t enjoy DPSing, but I have to do it when I’m leveling, and that’s enough for me.
    You have to? Because it's faster as DPS? Well, it's also faster to queue as a tank to join a dungeon, now you are forced to queue as a tank from now on as well! You better be, otherwise it's hypocritical.

Some specs are not fun to play so I wouldn't want to be forced into it. What would dh do?

I don’t level through dungeons... actually, I basically never go in them anymore.
    Yup, you sure never queued for a dungeon in BFA ,ever, not even once for the main story-line quests or the profession quests, yup.
    Of course you are just not doing them from now on, aaaah ya, of course how stupid from me to not think of that.

“Basically”.... that doesn’t mean never. If I have to for the storyline, I will.
    So you also want Blizzard to remove any dungeons from the storyline because you also have to do them, correct?

Uh, no.... where did I say anything close to that?
    Do you enjoy them or not, because you literally said you basically never do them aside from dungeons which you only do because you have to due to the story-line forcing you. Maybe I am reading too much between the lines but to me that sounds like you do not enjoy them.

If the reward is as trivial as the 25lvl pet stone/toy - sure. If it is something tangible in character power level - hell no.

I said I’d like the option to have a bodyguard champion to do the DPSing for me while leveling, and I could heal them. Like a pet, you know?

And no, I don’t enjoy dungeons, but I don’t want them removed.
    I understand. But why do you feel forced to DPS without a bodyguard DPSing for you? Why is it so crucial for you to kill a mob in 5 seconds oppose to 10 that you opt-in to play a spec you dislike. You are able to ignore dungeons just fine it seems, yet this part you can not?

10+ Year Old Account
    This game will be fixed when Ion is kicked to the curb along side the devs under him, when Blizzard is finally away with Activision and they undo the changes they've made to the game since Mists.

Leveling in Healer spec is much more time consuming than DPS spec. I’m not trying to make my experience harder.
    I am luckily just leveling a Paladin as we speak, as Retribution (level 46) and will now try the Holy specc. Fully specced into as much DPS as possible, since during leveling you do not need maximum healing for raids and you "never" do dungeons anyway, so let's see how much slower it is. I will have a good grasp to see if your concerns are valid.

Uh, okay lol

This was an odd back and forth. I’m not sure why you become so defensive over my comments.
    Just trying to see if it's really that much slower because my experience with healer leveling is limited. Learning something new is always fun to me. In any case, it is slower, but we have a steady rotation with no downtime and an actual finisher because hammer of wrath is baseline for all Paladins. Judgement actually hits harder in Holy specc than in Retribution without any buffs. I would say it's about 30% slower. My "questing DPS" went down from 350-400 to around 300. We just have less burst, but DPS itself didn't drop by that much in 1v1 situations.

Blizzard also seemed to have included a DPS option in every talent row that usually enhances healing output. For example Seraphim, Holy Prism, Crusaders Might.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2020-10-20 at 12:39 PM.

It's very imbalanced(in terms of design of gameplay) that you get rewarded for mundane tasks like pet collections or repetitive dailies but the enormous pool of gameplay that are you actual specs get nothing (explicitly) for being played.
    So it would be nice to have a weekly quest with the requirements of "complete 3 5mans with 3 unique specs or 3 battlegrounds/arenas/etc. with 3 unique specs or 3 world/raid bosses with 3 unique specs" (rewards I don't know: decide).

Yeeeeeeeaahh... no. Absolutely not. This might be a rather trivial thing for pure DPS classes, where all you have to do is basically just hit "activate spec", but I really don't feel like having to work on a Holy and Prot gear sets for my paladin, when I have no interest in playing as Holy and Prot.

As for rewards, take your pick:
    • Cosmetic rewards: few people will do it, and those who do, will do it once and then forget about it.
    • Player power rewards: quest becomes "mandatory" for player progression.

3+ Year Old Account
    The perverse aspect of any such idea is that in practice it is easy enough that progression would be designed around the assumption that all players would do those quests, so it would become some kind of baseline expectation.

At this point, it's not a reward for doing it but rather a punition for not doing it.

Since you don't necessarily enjoy all the specs of your class, especially since they can provide extremely different playstyles (the most extreme example being druids), it means you end up with the following options:

- only play the specs/playstyles you like and be punished by progressing more slowly than the baseline expectations baked into the game's design. This is an absolute non starter: you absolutely can't punish players for not liking something.

- force yourself to play specs/playstyles you don't like to get the rewards that the game expects you to get to meet baseline progression rate. This is also a non starter: if your design results in players feeling forced to do something they dont enjoy you have critically failed your job as a game designer.

(Btw whenever blizzard says bullshit like "we feel that players enjoying both pve and pvp should be rewarded for it" they are making those very mistakes)

So that's a terrible idea. You can't force people to do something they don't like. I'm glad the op is not employed as a game designer at blizzard.
    Last edited by tamarin; 2020-10-20 at 12:55 PM.

I’d just like more options for Healers to stay in their healing specs, which is why I gave my idea on bodyguards, even though it likely will never happen.

I enjoy healing. I want to heal—not DPS. I’d like a leveling experience that allowed me to heal, that doesn’t include dungeons, as I like to experience the leveling content in the new zones. That’s all.

Maybe Shadowlands will be a different leveling experience, but I recall it being noticeable harder to stay in Healing spec in Legion and BFA (I have a MW Monk, Resto Shaman and Druid).
    That's the only thing I quite don't get. You enjoy healing a lot but do not enjoy healing (and essentially leveling by healing) with dungeons. It sounds quite contradicting to me. So I assume you only enjoy healing others when they are NPCs following you or in a Raid? I mean you technically need to heal yourself if you pull enough mobs, so you could just pull more and enjoy healing while leveling? Hah. Or you find someone else to level with that pulls a lot of mobs and you heal him/her.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2020-10-20 at 12:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    So - in summary, the game would be improved by making it so something I can't do is added.
    i believe this sums it up very nicely, thank you sir.

I don’t really enjoy raiding or doing dungeons. I’m very casual, and mostly just enjoy doing world content. Sometimes I’ll get an itch to PvP and I’ll join a BG, but I haven’t enjoyed it as much since they removed being able purchase PvP gear—amongst other things. I honestly haven’t enjoyed BGs since MoP.

- - - Updated - - -

I usually level with my husband, and do heal him. It’s enjoyable.
    Healing is generally entirely based around group content, I think it's quite hard to make solo-content for healers only. Though your bodyguard idea is pretty cool for that because it can be applied to tanking and DPS as well. It would make world content feel like a MMO for everyone because tanks need to tank, DPS well, not much change there and healers can heal something. Maybe in the future when the game is less active this will be more of a priority for Blizzard.

It's very imbalanced(in terms of design of gameplay) that you get rewarded for mundane tasks like pet collections or repetitive dailies but the enormous pool of gameplay that are you actual specs get nothing (explicitly) for being played.
    It is not mundane if people enjoys them. You may not.

Forcing people to do things they do not enjoy is bad gameplay design. I recall the PvP requirement for the legendary cloak was hated by the PvE players.

Id be happy if they at least didnt punish spec change...
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

How about no. Instead what I think would be cool is if you could add AI controlled versions of your alts to party with (or maybe even raid). They would use AI similar to the Island expeditions so they wouldn't be useless, but could allow you to do regular dungeons or LFR by yourself and gear your alts all at once. I know its an MMO and they are hellbent on forcing you to play with other people, so this will never happen. I just always thought that this would make alts so much more important and fun. And now that they have a proof of concept with the Island expedition AI, they really could do it technically speaking.

Not intended to be for doing world content, pvp, or questing. Just a thing for dungeons and raids. At least at first. World pvp where everyone was multi-boxers would be stupid af lol.

The game will be improved with a weekly quest that requires you to play 3 specs.

Would you mind explaining why you think that improves anything? You can already switch specs whenever you want. I don't switch specs because I specifically prefer the one I play.

It's a game, I play however I like. Adding rewards to playing in ways I don't like isn't fun.

In my case specifically, I play a Hunter, and I like BM. MM is fine too, but I can't stand Surv after they made it melee. Similarly I like to heal on my Shaman, but I don't like dpsing with my Shaman because I prefer my Hunter for dps. I also find all tanks specs really boring. I can see a lot of reasons why adding rewards to switching specs would suck.