Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    it all comes down to TRH:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCjuFpQ3EeA

The ingame shop takes away from awesome rewards in the game, why put it behind a 50$ pricemark when you could have it drop from completing 10k quests or doing 10k battelgrounds.

It's about where their focus lies, it's not on improving the player/customer experience, it's all about making a quick buck while devauling the remaining content in the game which dont see the detail and focus some of the store mounts/pets get. Some of the mounts are also so far away from the lore that no similar reward even exists in the game, and you end up having to spend real money if you want a mount that matches your race/transmog, because there's no equivalent in the game, wether it's a fox, bat, tiger form or a flying celestial horse.

That's the problem, the problem is the focus on making money and not on improving the game. Which now has taken over every part of the game except mythic raiding and high rated pvp, everything else is paytowin at this point, and they're making a ton of money off it.
    The thing is: These mounts probably wouldn't even get made if not being sold for the item shop. It's not like Blizz makes these first and then decides, that it is put on the item shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Your first point is just conjecture. You have no idea what most of the playerbase has or has not earned.
    Sooooo basically I'm responding just like the OP wrote? And aren't you also assuming that everyone is capable and/or willing to participate in carries? No difference in our replies.

We could have a nice event-based quest chain to obtain this transmog, but instead we have to pay for it.
    And what do you think is going to happen with in-game transmog sets, when the best efforts are put into making sets for the ingame cash-shop?
    Meanwhile idiots: "bUt YoU cAn gEt It FoR sUb sO iT's FiNe".
    Pathetic.

I don't mind the cash-shop one bit and I'm amused by the people vehemently against it. What I disagree with though (Which these people also seem to agree with) is that there needs to be a consistent and reliable way for normal players to get these items over-time. Overwatch does this by giving you lootboxes with every level up - HotS the same way, Hearthstone with gold, but WoW is rather unique here. There is no inherent system in the game that's encouraging this - and most players do not farm up gold so that they can get cash shop rewards.

Sure, some do that and especially those who are savvy enough will absolutely abuse the system (And have) for endless game time + b.net balance. However, there is no system directly tied to WoW itself that allows cash-shop rewards. You can earn gold but why not have a currency unique to WoW only so that there is another option not dictated by supply and demand?

But I doubt it'll happen, at least anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggler View Post
    The thing is: These mounts probably wouldn't even get made if not being sold for the item shop. It's not like Blizz makes these first and then decides, that it is put on the item shop.
    Beats devaluing the content that players have completed by offering a cash alternative/headstart.

It's very telling that their focus has gone away from active subscriptions towards microtransaction revenue when describing their success during financial calls. They'd rather have people buy their store mounts and tokens than have more active players. And from a financial POV it makes sense, but not from a "health of the game/customer relations" pov.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Problem is that mounts should be rare drops, not purchasable non rare items which everyone and their taxi driver can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I like using gold I earn in-game, not the shop, to get items from in-game. It's not that hard of a concept.
    When you get the crinsom stallion you have to exchange the ingame money for rocks, food, snails and many other currencies to end up getting the mount. ¿How is this different? You get a token, the token exchanges for bnet currency, the bnet currency gets you the wings (or any store mount or whatever). The only difference is people looking at the $ symbol and demonizing it. It is still a digital currency with no real value, once Blizzard earns the $20 for the token you can't do anything about that. They could call it a ฿ and you would stop complaining.

The rest of people crying about micro-transactions are being really delusional. ANY game on today's online market has microtransactions, because it's a very easy way to get money to keep developing the game. You rather have Blizzxard with EVEN less money to get an EVEN worst product? I don't get it. It's not like they are focusing on microtransactions, they offer one of this every 6 months; and they even gift it to people with 6 months subs so they feel rewarded for their "loyalty". Other games in the market gets this type of content multiple times over a month. Just ask any LoL player how many skins they get monthly at $10-$15 EACH. Or any FFXIV player if you want an example with game sub.
    Last edited by Baleful; 2020-10-21 at 10:56 AM.

Look at this thread, fool of delusional morons who think more microtransaction money means a better game, OMEGALUL. Sorry, fellas, Bobby needs more yachts first, better game will have to wait, meanwhile keep opening your wallets, chop-chop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Can't speak for SE but Blizzard offers several games that are 100% free to play that have regular monthly costs to run. Hearthstone doesn't cost crap to play or charge a monthly. D3 only costs a one time payment to buy then its free for life to play on their servers. Starcraft, HOT, OG StarCraft, COD MW, are all free to play and no subscription. Blizzard uses money from other games to keep those game going because there are people who want to play it.
    Hearthstone has booster packs that make insane amounts of money like any CCG, Diablo III being required to play online is a problem of their own making, HOTS has microtransactions, none of the COD games are developed by Blizzard, they simply use the Battle.net framework because co-opting bnet is cheaper than Activision developing its own in-house framework, and running servers for SC1/SC2/WC3/ETC's online play is small potatoes.

None of these games are running at a loss except perhaps Heroes of the Storm, which again is a problem of Blizzard's own making. A pay-to-play game should not double-dip into freemium monetization strategies unless it intends to offer a robust freemium play option, which WoW's free trial most certainly is not. FFXIV at least recently allowed players free access up until level 60, only requiring subscriptions and box sales for Stormblood and Shadowbringers content.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Fact that you alredy giving ingame gold real life currency value shows how toxic token is to the game. No matter what you buy flash or mount its hold real life currency value whihc is insane to have in freaking video game. Imagine you buy flask. Look i just spent 50 cents on flask from what a joke.
    The whole reason the token exists is that this was already happening since vanilla and there's nothing Blizzard can reasonably do to prevent it from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post

SJW is a term used for a certain part of the left, the more radical one. Moderate/rational left usually doesn't exhibit the sjw tendencies. Sadly, those are quickly becoming extinct, most are either going full radical, or turning more to the right. And no, gamers aren't anti left - gamers are anti sjw, and as I already explained, those are not one and the same, yet.
    I know what SJW means. I mean to say: its a term right wingers use for ALL the left ( even on this forum). For anyone who voices a leftish opinion.

And the second part: gamers ( in general , the hater ones) are more and more anti left. Because they find anything remotly left SJW. Or make fun of left stuff.

Example: Cyberpunks ability for transgender pc, how horde people call anduin or the alliance on this forum.

And you said it yourself: YET. In my eyes and experience we are getting close to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post

Gamers in general? No. Influential youtube/twitch creators, their fanbases, and the vocal minority ranting on social media? Yes. The latter groups are almost completely right wing / incel dominated.
    Okay think you said it more correctly as me. Not in general. Only youtubers/twitchers/social media stars and their millions of fanbase....its not all gamers or the majority. But still a very large group of gamers.

And on the main topic, i agree with your opinion about the 6 month sub rewards. Its a nice way of saying thank you. They do not have to do it. But its a nice thank you. Most of the 6 month subscibers also did the 6 months at a time BEFORE the rewards.

That said: i find the excecution of this idea extremly poor. The idea is very cool. But it looks so cheap and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    I know what SJW means. I mean to say: its a term right wingers use for ALL the left ( even on this forum). For anyone who voices a leftish opinion.
    Anything they consider left, i'd say. Which may include positions that are objectively right or middle.

Doesn't help that american politics are very right-shifted, so americans tend to have rather skewed views of what constitutes a leftist position.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Why shouldn't it be items obtained from secret-finding, or a coffer from a raid drop a la the Dark Shaman set?

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad this stupid-ass set exists and I'm sorely tempted to make the edgiest character I can design just to wrap them up in it for a giggle, and pieces of it will fit nicely in existing transmogs. My problem is that a game with a monthly subscription and box sales shouldn't be double-dipping. Especially when you and I both know they're going to make it 'seasonal' to encourage FOMO sales, something they've conveniently forgotten to mention in the initial preview just like every other time they arbitrarily made something limited-availability without being up-front about it.

"It's earnable ingame, you just have to buy the tokens and convert them into out-of-game cash," is a facetious argument and we both know it, OP. When people say they want cash shop items to be obtainable ingame, they mean through more than letting Auctionator play the AH for them for a few weeks and bringing out-of-game transactions into the equation at all.
    Are you making that same argument at SWTOR and FF14 which both do the same thing? SWTOR even has additional game features on their paywall. Subs alone dont pay all the bills so they do supplemental optional features on their in game store to keep everything funded. It has no actual effect on your game if you dont get them. And if you as a long time supporter do a reoccuring 6m sub you get them FOR FREE. The 6m sub is also cheaper than per month so even more money saved. Id say direct the anger to something deserving of it not ... this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Are you making that same argument at SWTOR and FF14 which both do the same thing? SWTOR even has additional game features on their paywall. Subs alone dont pay all the bills so they do supplemental optional features on their in game store to keep everything funded. It has no actual effect on your game if you dont get them. And if you as a long time supporter do a reoccuring 6m sub you get them FOR FREE. The 6m sub is also cheaper than per month so even more money saved. Id say direct the anger to something deserving of it not ... this.
    Yes, I am. I brought up earlier in the thread that I don't defend FFXIV's cash shop, but I noted at least they offer a robust freemium option. SWTOR's freemium option is a joke. Who the hell hides UI features behind a paywall?

If subs alone don't pay all the bills when this game brings in more than some countries' GDP, something significant is broken in the development cycle that needs to be addressed.

Again, ingame items should be achieved through ingame progress, unless the game runs on a freemium business model. WoW does not run on a freemium business model. WoW has one of the most restrictive free-play models on the MMO market today. I understand you feel a different way, but you are not going to convince me otherwise unless you can bring more to the table than, "But things cost money!" The game makes fucktons of cash. Even assuming 500k subscribers, which is a laughably low estimate on my end, that's 500kx15 per month, or let's say 500kx13 per month and again lowball it by assuming most players don't just run a monthly sub and buy in multimonth chunks. That's 6.5 million per month revenue. 6.5 millionx12 is 78 million yearly revenue just off subscriptions, this doesn't figure in booster pack sales from Hearthstone, Overwatch loot boxes, or Heroes of the Storm sales.

A game that makes 78 million a year can't keep the lights on? Then your company is failing and you need to figure out what the fuck is killing your profits.

*All figures are presented in USD, which is used to determine subscription rates in other currencies based on exchange rates as I understand it.

A game that makes 78 million a year can't keep the lights on? Then your company is failing and you need to figure out what the fuck is killing your profits.
    Workers have to be paid properly and all this additional payments are necessary to create fair wages, everybody knows how it is nice to work in Blizzard.
    Right?
    Or maybe the reason is unending greed of filthy capitalistic pigs on top, who drains life out of the game and people, like a huge disgusting tick deep inside victim's flesh.
    Not sure which one it is, hmmm...
    Last edited by Pury; 2020-10-21 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    Wherever it is a new store mount, charity pet or a 6 months bonus the argument "It should have been earnable ingame" Always comes up

And I am completely flabbergasted. IT IS EARNABLE INGAME IS IT NOT??? Can't you buy a WoW token and convert it into balance? A US WoW token goes for 150K gold a piece which buys literally anything in the store besides an entire expansion pack (And even at 300K gold its still very cheap). Compare that to the Brutosaur for 5 Million gold or the Spider for 2 Million gold. Hell I've used that ammount on just repairs throughout BFA Alone

What exactly is the problem again? Most people I know have that kind of money, and If you aren't the laziest person in the world like me getting it isn't that hard. And even if you're lazy, then you wouldn't have been able to earn it if it was earnable ingame anyway. Let's even talk about the new wings. You get it for subbing for 6 months. What is the problem? You literally get it for playing the game.

Active Mod Warnings in this thread:

Since we've already had a thread on this topic go pear-shaped, this is a general warning to keep it civil and constructive in this thread as well. Don't fling insults, personal barbs, or anything else not related to the actual topic.

Let's also steer clear of real-world politics and the like, no need to derail this thread with unrelated political discussion or arguments.
    Yeah and its a busniess and loads of other bs reasons.
    apart from the fact its taking content that should be free within the game out and putting a price tag behind it.. and those mounts that cost 2-5million Shouldn't.
    Its silly like wise all the rich people forking out that much cash.. why don't they just buy all the store mounts whats the issue durrp.

The issue is raised by people not buying 5million gold mounts who don't wanna pay $200 or 2 tokens worth of gold, most of the playerbase isn't rich, and most of the mounts are BETTER than those found ingame.. why? so they sell better.. but imagine 1 or 2 of them behind a really hard achievement which is what should happen.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Yes, I am. I brought up earlier in the thread that I don't defend FFXIV's cash shop, but I noted at least they offer a robust freemium option. SWTOR's freemium option is a joke. Who the hell hides UI features behind a paywall?

If subs alone don't pay all the bills when this game brings in more than some countries' GDP, something significant is broken in the development cycle that needs to be addressed.

Again, ingame items should be achieved through ingame progress, unless the game runs on a freemium business model. WoW does not run on a freemium business model. WoW has one of the most restrictive free-play models on the MMO market today. I understand you feel a different way, but you are not going to convince me otherwise unless you can bring more to the table than, "But things cost money!" The game makes fucktons of cash. Even assuming 500k subscribers, which is a laughably low estimate on my end, that's 500kx15 per month, or let's say 500kx13 per month and again lowball it by assuming most players don't just run a monthly sub and buy in multimonth chunks. That's 6.5 million per month revenue. 6.5 millionx12 is 78 million yearly revenue just off subscriptions, this doesn't figure in booster pack sales from Hearthstone, Overwatch loot boxes, or Heroes of the Storm sales.

*All figures are presented in USD, which is used to determine subscription rates in other currencies based on exchange rates as I understand it.
    Didnt say cant keep the lights on but I have no idea what Activisions cut is also how much all the servers and maintenance of around the world cost for upkeep. And I bet some of those funds go to support the other games and projects for the future that currently are not making money.

We also do not have accurate sub numbers and how many of them are being paid for with tokens earned in game therefor are not paying Blizzard ANY money.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Except it's not.

This is just an assumption that is impossible to prove. There's absolutely no evidence that if the same items weren't in the cash shop, they would be achievable in game by doing content.

All the arguments ever provided in support of this are pure BS as well. The chief one being "look, this store mount looks like some non playable models present in the game"...what do you think a wow store mount will look like...? Something completely unrelated that doesn't belong to the game? Come on.
    How is it impossible to prove? It's a reward tied to money instead of completion of an in-game quest or achievement. There's nothing to prove here, this is simply the reality of the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pury View Post
    Look at this thread, fool of delusional morons who think more microtransaction money means a better game, OMEGALUL. Sorry, fellas, Bobby needs more yachts first, better game will have to wait, meanwhile keep opening your wallets, chop-chop.
    Bingo.

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Didnt say cant keep the lights on but I have no idea what Activisions cut is also how much all the servers and maintenance of around the world cost for upkeep. And I bet some of those funds go to support the other games and projects for the future that currently are not making money.

We also do not have accurate sub numbers and how many of them are being paid for with tokens earned in game therefor are not paying Blizzard ANY money.
    Token subs are still giving Blizz money, in fact, they're giving Blizz $5 more a month than a regular month-to-month sub. The only difference is that someone else paid for the token. This also doesn't account for token sales that are converted into b.net balance.

I left X-factors out, assumed everyone paid the lowest possible sum for their subscriptions by buying in bulk (which isn't feasible for many people on low incomes or fixed incomes) and lowballed the sub numbers for a reason. Even on a wildly-unrealistically low end, the game makes 78 million a year in revenue. And I specifically noted this does not include Overwatch and Hearthstone microtransaction sales, both of which also report sales figures around a small country's GDP. Blizzard is in no way, shape, or form a company strapped for cash. They are not in a position where not having a cash shop on top of their subscriptions would have placed their company in dire straits. The only reason they went for a cash shop in the first place is because they saw the success of their competitors' freemium models (competitors being other industry powerhouses like Lineage II, not the other Western MMOs that crash-and-burned and went freemium to recoup development costs) and decided to have their cake and eat it.

If we went with the more-likely 6 million subscribers (which I still think is a huge lowball) and included token sales for another million subscribers per month, that 78 million rapidly balloons and makes the additional microtransaction shop even more unnecessary from a "things cost money" standpoint. There is no feasible situation wherein Blizzard is reliant on WoW's cash shop for anything more than padding revenue figures. You're misguided if you think they need that money to pay below-industry-standard wages and rent their servers.
    Last edited by Thage; 2020-10-21 at 02:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inb4 the new "Tier-Sets" Blizzard want to introduce in SL will be added as re-skins to the Transmog shop.