Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So what's your favorite games "Water Temple"

By water temple..I mean the worst part (for the like 3 people who don't get the reference The Water Temple is widely considered the worst part of Ocarina of Time. It's very long, very tedious, boss is boring, the item you get from it is nothing special and you spend half of it changing boots)

So..I'll start with Breath of Fire 3's stupid friggin Desert part. Seriously that place is the absolute WORST from the wandering around looking at stars, to the wrong directions and...yeah nothing good about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Xenogears : Tower of Babel.
    An extremely shitty area which you have to climb filled with jumps made difficult by the terrible camera angles. If you failed one of those jumps you would fall down to first levels.... Words cannot express the joy and relief of getting past it. I hate those things so much, among many of the technical/design flaws of Xenogears it's the reason why I don't want to replay it for 100000 times like I do the Final Fantasy games.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Xenogears : Tower of Babel.
    An extremely shitty area which you have to climb filled with jumps made difficult by the terrible camera angles. If you failed one of those jumps you would fall down to first levels.... Words cannot express the joy and relief of getting past it. I hate those things so much, among many of the technical/design flaws of Xenogears it's the reason why I don't want to replay it for 100000 times like I do the Final Fantasy games.
    Honestly, I saw this post and thought the exact same thing. It's my fav game and while the Tower of Babel is an incredibly cool location aesthetically and from a storytelling perspective; its awful to go through especially with the unable to jump 1s before random encounter bug.

I still replay the game once a year because it really is one of the greatest stories ever told IMHO, even the second disk while worse than the first is still enjoyable to me.

One of my favorite games, Dragon Age: Origins, has one of my least favorite part: The Fade. The place is so bad there was a mod made to completely skip it and is currently in the top 10 most download for DA:O.
    I could also say the same thing about Knights of the Old Republic 2 and it's prologue.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Final Fantasy XII:

The Great Crystal. It's a maze with teleporters and it's very easy to lose track of where you are without a guide. I play through the game once a year but I still end up tripping up whenever I get to that part. It's the kind of area that overstays its welcome - and there's a couple of side quests that require you to return.

Forbidden Siren:

It's already a tough game. I adore the atmospheric horror but the controls are clunky. Very clunky. The worst controls are when you play a sniper character during a certain mission - and you have just under two minutes to complete it through sniping numerous enemies to protect a fellow survivor. The AI for her isn't great, so you have to start by sniping enemies from a tower, climb down it, meet up with her, deal with more enemies and somehow make it to the exit of the level within the time limit.

Persona 4 Golden Hollow Forest. "Oh that's some nice gear and items you got there. Would be a shame if YOU CANT USE ANY OF THEM..btw you will also lose half your mana every fight cause fuck you that's why"

I feel Okumuras spaceport is an easy target but Royal made it a LOT more tolerable so it gets a pass.\

Galbadia D District FF8. Don't like this game that much but that prison is PAINFUL. Solo venture with Zell until you get everyone's weapons, magic turned off, and its a copy paste room for like WAY too many floors.

Also Great Bay Temple Majora's Mask...its like they took OoT's water temple, sat down and thought "Oh gee how can we make this worse?"

Thanks for explaining the water temple reference. I have only played the NES zelda games.

The first levels that come to mind are the final stages of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

There were so many cool levels I enjoyed while playing through the game. Then the final stage is just a bunch of platforming on these bland sandstone castle ledges floating in the sky. It made me go from loving the game to just wanting it to be finished.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I actually really like the Water Temple...

That said I'll still play along.

I agree with the person that said The Great Crystal in FFXII. I refuse to try to navigate that place without a guide. It's even worse in Zodiac Age because a lot of really good spells and abilities (like Hastega IIRC) are hidden in there.

Trails of Cold Steel III has a dungeon in chapter 4 where you have to split up into three parties of 5-6 characters and go through different parts of the dungeon at the same time culminating in a big boss fight where each group has to take out about a third of the boss's HP before switching to the next group. It's a cool concept, but it's a huge pain in the ass to try to kit out three full parties of characters with quartz and accessories. It's especially bad on higher difficulties where stat-stacking is really important.

I can think of a few dungeons in Final Fantasy XIV that were pretty awful when they were current. Aurum Vale was bad for many reasons, though most of them had to do with people just not knowing what's going on. The first room is packed really tightly with mobs so it's easy to overpull and die. The first and third bosses stack debuffs on the party and they have to go click the fruit growing around the arena to remove it before it becomes too hard to heal. Until recently the second boss had a lot of one-shot mechanics that didn't have AoE indicators. They're not hard to see and avoid, but for most players this is probably the first time they encountered a boss that had attacks that weren't telegraphed on the ground (they just added telegraphs in a recent patch like 6 years later).

Persona 5 has Okumura's palace. It's not necessarily awful, but it is pretty bland in a game full of style and excellence. I can't even remember the dungeon theme. The sci-fi space aesthetic doesn't do it for me, and it had no fun dungeon gimmicks. Not to mention it's full of enemies that resist physical attacks so it's pretty draining on your SP to go through the whole dungeon in one day.
    Last edited by Liaku; 2020-10-22 at 12:09 PM.

Silent hill 1 the hospital part and Silent hill origins it still is the hospital lol

Quote Originally Posted by Liaku View Post
    I actually really like the Water Temple...
    Always a few..though playing the OoT randomizer they added a feature to be able to change boots with the DPad which does make it a LOT better (actually makes OoT a lot better in general since that pause screen is so laggy)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liaku View Post
    Persona 5 has Okumura's palace. It's not necessarily awful, but it is pretty bland in a game full of style and excellence. I can't even remember the dungeon theme. The sci-fi space aesthetic doesn't do it for me, and it had no fun dungeon gimmicks. Not to mention it's full of enemies that resist physical attacks so it's pretty draining on your SP to go through the whole dungeon in one day.
    P5 Vanilla's Okumura's palace is seriously terrible I'm so glad Royal rectified a lot of it. It's still pretty awful aesthetically but the mobs aren't as bad and it isn't NEARLY the slog it was before. Though the boss fight between the versions is pretty subjective since they decided to really ramp up the difficulty.

Trails in the Sky

The Tetracyclic Towers. There are four of them and the layout is very confusing. There are five floors, but the layout is very awkward in that many times in order to go up to say, floor 4, you have to go down to floor 3, then back down to 2, and then go up a different set of stairs to 3 and eventually 4. And each time you change floors, ALL OF THE MOBS on that floor respawn. Each tower is like an hour long dungeon grind and it is very exhausting because you need to bring a lot of potions and revives. The rewards you open from the chests aren't that good in the long run (you can beat these games without level grinding or getting the best equipment; the story battles give you enough exp and money to get you through the game). Fortunately you only need to visit two of the towers in FC, but in the second game, SC, you have to go through each tower up to three times, (once when you first reach the tower at the start of a chapter, second time when you come back for the boss fights, and a third time during the chapter 8 sidequests). The only saving grace of these dungeons is that they are only a 1 hour long each, whereas the final dungeons of FC and SC can take several hours and are just as bad. Also, the English localization added funny little messages to the chest dialogue, so that helps me smile when going through the dungeons.

Trails from Zero

The three temples. Stargaze tower is probably the least offensive, but the Sun and Moon temples were pretty bad. At least they aren't utterly confusing to navigate like the Tetracylic towers. Not as bad as the final dungeons of Zero and Ao, though.

Trails of Cold Steel

Fortunately dungeon design in Cold Steel is actually somewhat decent. They aren't very interesting, but they definitely aren't a slog like they were in the prior games, and they aren't confusing like the towers from sky. You can do the elemental shrines in about half an hour and they are visually interesting, and there aren't a billion mobs. The shrines also have more story this time than the towers and ruins did in prior games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Final Fantasy XII:

The Great Crystal. It's a maze with teleporters and it's very easy to lose track of where you are without a guide. I play through the game once a year but I still end up tripping up whenever I get to that part. It's the kind of area that overstays its welcome - and there's a couple of side quests that require you to return.
    ^^^^

Every room looked the same and there was no map!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a bunch of times I've reached sections in games I've replayed and just groaned as it dawns on me what I have to do again. What comes to mind in particular:
    A classic, Dark Souls' Blight Town with it's swamp, boulder ogres,, annoying mosquitoes, poison guys and just everything, add in the fact that the nearest checkpoint to the boss is a slog that desperately requires a specific ring to make it bearable and you've got hell.
    Dark Cloud 2's first Dungeon - the sewer levels. They start off alright and then ramp up in difficulty ridiculously fast that if you didn't know all the mechanics and had been grinding throughout you were in for a hard time.
    FFXIII - Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    One of my favorite games, Dragon Age: Origins, has one of my least favorite part: The Fade. The place is so bad there was a mod made to completely skip it and is currently in the top 10 most download for DA:O.
    I could also say the same thing about Knights of the Old Republic 2 and it's prologue.
    I never quite understood why people didn't like The Fade section, it had free attribute increases, interesting enemies and form changing puzzles. Though I do have to agree with the KOTOR take, it's the same with the Rakghoul section in the first game's prologue. It's like until you have free use of the Ebon Hawk it just feels really sluggish or something.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Speaking of FFXII

Final Fantasy XII

The Pharos. Huge tower with dozens and dozens of floors. Takes hours to get through. It's supposedly 100 floors, but thankfully it's not actually that many (several floors towards the end are just staircases to the next), but it's still visually bland and a slog to go through.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I Never hated the water temple in Zelda But then again I had habit of playing puzzle games like shadow gate on the n64/gameboy so that shit appealed to me.
    My most hated would be that damn poison swamp in demon souls/dark souls mostly because the way I play that type of genre is that I don’t buy consumables,so I would constantly run out of the moss to clear poison.

The Breath of Fire spinning room maze, the first time I played through it, drove me crazy. Oddly, the next time I did a playthrough (years later), it felt really simple, and I didn't understand why I had such horrible memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    In general I hate deserts. They're usually very boring visually and the music tends to be dull as fuck so I just end up bored and sleepy. So in most of the games I replay any time a desert area comes up it's basically my "water temple".
    You must've hated AC: Origins :P

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the first Archvile room in Doom Eternal, but any Marauder section in general.

Other nominees:

-Tree Tops in the original Spyro the Dragon, especially if you want to 100% the level.
    -Special 7-2 in Super Mario 3D Land, Special 3-5 without the Raccoon Suit.
    -Chain Link Charge in Super Mario 3D World.
    -Poisonous Pipeline in Donkey Kong Country 3

2 from recent memory that comes to mind that I will kinda lump together because I dislike them for the same reasons:

Spyro Reignited Trilogy/Crash Bandicoot 'Nsane Trilogy - Underwater levels

Mostly because I find the controls underwater to be very wonky and it's kinda frustrating. Luckily there's not that many of them.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy VIII: the D-District Prison.

3+ Year Old Account
    Zanarkand ruins in FF10. Loa help you if you get there underlevelled
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.