Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Frost Giant Studios raises $4.7M to fund a New RTS Game

Frost Giant Studios raises $4.7M to fund a New RTS Game
    Frost Giant Studios, a new game studio founded by Tim Morten (Former Production Director of StarCraft II) and Tim Campbell (Former Lead Campaign Designer of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne), has raised $4.7 to create a new real-time strategy game.

• Frost Giant Studios received funding from Bitkraft Ventures, 1Up Ventures, GC Tracker, Riot Games, and Griffin Gaming Partners.
    • The money will be used to grow the team, build a prototype for gameplay, conduct consumer research, and expand operations.
    • The main team is currently formed of eight Blizzard Entertainment Veterans, which plan to advance the RTS genre by applying what they've learned from players over the last 10 years.
    • The team wants to lower the entry barrier into the RTS game and also provide high quality gameplay for the co-op, campaign, and competitive modes.
    • Development will be focused primarily on the PC platform since RTS games are best played with a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited by Lumy; 2020-10-21 at 09:00 AM.

I never understood why RTS games became less popular with time, they are incredible! Hopefully this gets big.

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    I never understood why RTS games became less popular with time, they are incredible! Hopefully this gets big.

Because mobas got more popular and were more profitable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck to them, hate seeing the whole "anti Blizz crowd" follow them in the comments though.

If you do read happen to this Frost Giant folks, the one thing that always bugged me about Warcraft/Starcraft was not being able to zoom out far enough to have a better overview of the map!

Love me some RTS but this:

"The team wants to lower the entry barrier into the RTS game"

Worries me, RTS aren't super hard to begin with (unless you way up on the ladder pvp wise and need to know the game inside and out). I'd rather not have a HotS vs LoL in rts form.

Anyone else noticing that more and more ex-blizzard studios are showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Because mobas got more popular and were more profitable.
    Man i despise mobas, tried a few and hated them all. I play Total war a lot but thats plit between rts attles ad a campaign map, love it ofc, playing colony sims too but like what I would consider a classic rts the last I played was dawn of war 3, and they fucking molested that game, dow 1-2 with the dlc was great, dow 3 was garbage and it was not a shocking revelation, all the previews had fans going 'erm no, that's wrong, that's also wrong, don't do that omg stop he's already dead' so for me dow 3 may not have killed the trs genre but it give it a good kick to the head.

It would be nice seeing another RTS like WC3. I can't really get into the others tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoxas View Post
    Anyone else noticing that more and more ex-blizzard studios are showing up?
    Let's see when we will finally see products showing up from these studios.

Because they a require high amounts of skill.

Why is this on the front page? I don't understand.

Cool for them I guess, RTS the genre is on life support and the only real success I can think of lately is They are Billions. Not sure trying to "lower the entry barrier" is going to do much to reinvigorate the genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Couple concerns.
    1). This is production from Starcraft 2. Personal opinion is that SC2’s story wasn’t as great as SC1. Objective opinion: SC was so much better polished and balanced than SC2.
    2). The entry barrier being lowered. As someone else stated, they aren’t complex and there’s nothing holding anyone back from enjoying an RTS from solo campaign to multiplayer (if the ladder is done correctly). Lowering the barrier could mean anything from handicapping actions per minute to slowdown gameplay to making something very basic in strategy.

That said, I look forward to what they develop. I loved SC1, and enjoyed SC2 (minus the multiplayer of 2). Hoping for good things from the upcoming team.

RTS games are kinda dead so i don't really see a success here, tho personally i would like to play a new decent classic RTS

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    RTS games are kinda dead so i don't really see a success here, tho personally i would like to play a new decent classic RTS
    If done right a good base building RTS could restart the genre, much like games like DoS2 has jumpstarted the CRPG genre.

But lets remember that not all portions of the RTS genre have been dying, games like Total War, which have large portions of rts elements, are still thriving.

make me a mobile RTS, real RTS, not some "Your turn" piece of shit

RTS Genre got split into two. The moba side like DOTA/LoL and the other side became more like Total war games. The RTS part itself is very low down, especially in multiplayer as metas basically became zerg rushing the cheap units and swarm.

I'm cautiously hopeful, but if these games wind up like War3 or SC2 than I'm out. I think both of those games killed RTS with War3 emphasis on hero classes instead of strategy and SC2's emphasis on rock-paper-scissor balancing, while they were both popular, looking back I see them as inferior RTS games (they are still great games but they subverted the genre).

Frost Giant Studios, a new game studio founded by Tim Morten (Former Production Director of StarCraft II) and Tim Campbell (Former Lead Campaign Designer of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne), has raised $4.7 to create a new real-time strategy game.
    Woah, I hope they don't spend it all in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Why is this on the front page? I don't understand.
    Because Wowhead posted it, lmao. And they were 20h faster too.

The only reason it's even "news" is because some former Blizzard employees are in it. Which is a weak argument, because, afaik, this portal (neither Wowhead) are goosip tabloids reporting on what former blizzard employees are doing with their life.

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    make me a mobile RTS, real RTS, not some "Your turn" piece of shit
    RTS's don't have a "your turn" mechanic O.o RTS is literally "real-time", it's in the name.