What actually needs to be censored: Instagram

Let's take a look at two tags on Instagram.

Tag 1: "#NaturalBodybuilding"
    2,486,862 results

The vast majority of them are not even remotely "natural". In fact, most of the people claiming to be "natural" bodybuilders on Instagram are juiced to the gills and simultaneously cycling several performance-enhancing drugs.

Tag 2: "#Naturalbeauty"
    17,772,228 results

Once again, there is nothing even remotely "natural" about any of them. Plastic surgery and heavy photoshop jobs galore.

We are allowing Instagram to curate our beauty standards and yet the vast majority of beauty gurus are juicy fakers. Can you imagine the amount of harm that Instagram's beauty standards are causing people because they think that their beauty idols are "natural" and that there must be something wrong with them because they can't reach their level?

Instead of censoring "fake news", we should be censoring all of these fake people.
    Last edited by Wilfire; 2020-10-21 at 09:26 AM.

Censorship... you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

It's funny, because when I look up #naturalbeauty, like 1/4 of them are soap products.

Don't mind Wilfire, he actually said that when people cross the Southern Border, they lose all of the rights that they have. Including deserving to be genocided by forced hysterectomy. Take a loot in the politics forum under the Genocide at the border thread if you don't believe me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Don't mind Wilfire, he actually said that when people cross the Southern Border, they lose all of the rights that they have. Including deserving to be genocided by forced hysterectomy. Take a loot in the politics forum under the Genocide at the border thread if you don't believe me.
    Don’t cross pollinate threads...

The OP shows how trivial the whole fight against social media bias and cancel culture really is...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I just hate when people like amaranth use those weird filters on their faces. Her face looks great without it. It's either a filter or makeup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's funny, because when I look up #naturalbeauty, like 1/4 of them are soap products.
    SOAP??

Will someone think of the children!

It seems op has something in common wiith "Jameslold" (the "drawing" kid), in that he needs to disconnect himself completely from the internet...for a week at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    SOAP??

Will someone think of the children!
    Who uses SOAP anymore anyways? RESTful APIs and GraphQL are so much easier and so much better. SOAP is old and obsolete and besides, who even likes using XML?
    Putin khuliyo

I did not even know these tags existed on Instagram, how to search by tag or that anyone paid attention to the tags. So this has had zero effect on my beauty standards up til now and is insignificant compared to the actual social, political, and economic forces that make up beauty standards in Western culture.

In short, we have bigger fish to fry.

7+ Year Old Account
    Natural isn't always optimal and desirable, it is literally just a "starting value" that was passed down by evolution. Humans seek improvement over what is natural and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it works and sometimes it only comes off as "fake" and ugly. People should be free to at least try whatever they want without being censored.

In terms of aesthetic beauty I say let the market decide.

Why do people feel the need to have government censor everything?

It's weird how often Trumpsters resort to fascism, because they don't like something.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post

It's weird how often Trumpsters resort to fascism, because they don't like something.
    From the fascist right wing perspective this form of censorship would probably be about protecting society from the "corruption of modernity". It's about limiting people to what has traditionally been accepted as natural and normal. Often times it's an emotional appeal that amounts to "think about the children". From the left wing perspective this form of censorship would probably be about body positivity. Meaning petite metro-guys should embrace femininity instead of getting ripped, over-weight women should be proud of their body and reject society's expectations towards them to wear make-up, etc.

For the OP I don't think it's accurate to say these ideas are purely coming from the fascist right wing.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-21 at 05:01 PM.

/r/instagramreality is one of the best subs, if some person sees the bullshit someone posts then decides to model their life after theirs then I don't see how that is the governments problem, people are dumb

Your first mistake is caring about, or even perusing Instagram

- - - Updated - - -

It's hardly limited to folks of a single political sphere. People from all over seem enamored with the idea of making sure that other people don't get to participate in activities they themselves dislike, as they lack the personal restraint to simply not engage.

Hell, you can see it on this very forum when folks demand that a thread be locked.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Your first mistake is caring about, or even perusing Instagram

- - - Updated - - -

It's hardly limited to folks of a single political sphere. People from all over seem enamored with the idea of making sure that other people don't get to participate in activities they themselves dislike, as they lack the personal restraint to simply not engage.

Hell, you can see it on this very forum when folks demand that a thread be locked.
    And yet, Trump is the one pushing the executive orders, and his supporters are largely the ones cheering on the government going after Google.

If a private business wishes to censor, they are free to do that. That's their property.

My suggested content is like a pinterest board of bikini babes and models. Not sure how that happened. Gheghe.

7+ Year Old Account
    If a private business wishes to censor, they are free to do that. That's their property.
    That is true that censorship is legally justifiable but what's more important than 'legally justifiable' is whether it's 'morally justifiable'. For example let's say that the majority owner and CEO of Instagram was pro-life and (s)he wanted to censor all people and content that was pro-choice, while that would be legally justifiable to be intolerant of those who are pro-choice it would still be morally wrong to discriminate. We would have a moral responsibility to constantly criticize the company until they realize that it's important to be tolerant of people who have different views and opinions.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-21 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't even post titties on insta. If anything it's censored too much already.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the scale of things worth caring about in the media landscape, I'd say this is...

On the bottom? If it's not the bottom, you can see it from there.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.