Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love RTS games, but I don't expect this to do well lol. Especially being helmed by someone that was behind StarCraft 2. I loved StarCraft 2 but it was a very costly endeavor with Blizzard funding the esports scene until it completely collapsed.

Amazing news. Sc2 coop is one of the best designed gaming experiences i had, and i still play it at least once a day. The commanders there are all superbly design and just feel "too fun" to be real (abathur maxed army or jumping with kerrigan hero unit all day, like come on).

They already have a dedicated coop designer and i think thats smart. Beside the obvious ladder and campaign, coop gives you a replayable, casual friendly and yet potentially increadibly deep mode for people who are done with ladder/don't wanna go in there, and i think the future of rts accessibility might lie in there.

At long as the quality will be a mix of frostpunk and sc2 i'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Because they a require high amounts of skill.
    When you want to be competitive in PvP, sure, but not if you just do single players campaigns. I've played many RTSs and love them, but I'm definitely not skilled. I do just fine

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay, the return of the best genre!

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Love me some RTS but this:

"The team wants to lower the entry barrier into the RTS game"

Worries me, RTS aren't super hard to begin with (unless you way up on the ladder pvp wise and need to know the game inside and out). I'd rather not have a HotS vs LoL in rts form.
    I'm guessing this is mostly talking about APM/mechanics/multi-tasking standards for games like StarCraft in competitive play. Imagine if RTS games were more about creative strategy and less about speed and precision. I'm not sure how you can accomplish that with a fixed rule set, but then I'm not a professional game designer either.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    I'm guessing this is mostly talking about APM/mechanics/multi-tasking standards for games like StarCraft in competitive play. Imagine if RTS games were more about creative strategy and less about speed and precision. I'm not sure how you can accomplish that with a fixed rule set, but then I'm not a professional game designer either.
    I don't think you can. People who want slowed down gameplay with more of a tactical element would be better suited with turn-based games. I don't think there's anything in-between.

Sounds like they're going with a simple dumbed down RTS. I mean it worked for Hearthstone maybe they can do something similar in the RTS scene.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    I agree. However, I assume the company are looking to turn a profit.
    I am sure they are. The question becomes, are they looking to make a game they are passionate about and make some money, or make a loot box pinata game based on current trends and try to make all of the money. Indie developers are usually more interested in the former and when you have a small team and make a good game you can turn a profit in any genre...you dont NEED to make another battle royale.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoxas View Post
    Anyone else noticing that more and more ex-blizzard studios are showing up?
    No. This has been happening for years and pre-dates the merger. This will be I think the 16th or so company? Most of them never make a game.

This one is made up of mostly post-Activision people at that.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    make me a mobile RTS, real RTS, not some "Your turn" piece of shit
    "Real Time Strategy".

There must be a hint in there somewhere about it being in real time... but I am not quite sure.

I just want a new Warcraft 4 but we will never get it lol.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    did they? I'm definitely not saying divinity is bad but its a niche game with a rather unimpressive player base compared to any other "popular" genre
    I think they did. Honestly, I went from having no interest in the genre to being excited about each new entry from any company. I don't think I'm alone. Whatever the state of the genre currently, I believe it is much better off in a world with DoS2, than without.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    When you want to be competitive in PvP, sure, but not if you just do single players campaigns. I've played many RTSs and love them, but I'm definitely not skilled. I do just fine
    Yeah, true.

But PvP games have generally a longer lifetime, meaning higher returns for your investment. And MOBAs are pretty easy to make and maintain, the excitement of the game comes not from the game but from the interaction with other players.

Single player gets you only so far. And there are still many single player rts games in some form.

Until Ex-Blizzard employees actually publish a game I couldn't care less. They really have to live up to the hype they create and that's my biggest worry.
    Und wenn du das Spiel verlierst, ganz unten stehst, dann stehn wir hier und sing Borussia - Borussia BVB!

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeller View Post
    Until Ex-Blizzard employees actually publish a game I couldn't care less. They really have to live up to the hype they create and that's my biggest worry.
    Not worried, they are more than capable and they will certainly do it. Just like Dreamhaven will obviously release something out of this world. And the best part is that we know when, Soon™

I don't care about your team, I want to see your prototype. Words mean nothing.

I hope for a fusion of frostpunk and SC2. I like to play the compain of RTS.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Was there a post about SCII being discontinued? If not fuck the mods for posting this on the front page.
    Lol, I mean the website is called MMO-Champion. They should never have even posted news outside of MMOs in the first place. But surely you've never complained about them posting about other blizzard products, have you? Hypocrite.

The main team is currently formed of eight Blizzard Entertainment Veterans, which plan to advance the RTS genre by applying what they've learned from players over the last 10 years.
    Translation: Eight ex-Blizzard jabronies sinking time and money into a vanity project, believing they can compete with Diablo IV and Warcraft III: Reforged, the measuring sticks in RTS gaming. Meanwhile Tim Morten walks around wearing a fur coat made out of his mother's pubic hair.