Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    How do you intend to make this idea not suck eggs? Garrisons were a colossal failure not just for the lack of customization, but for encouraging players in an MMORPG to spend all their time in a tiny square of land phased away from each other with almost no reason to go into each other's phases.

Old School RuneScape has successful player housing because investing time and gold into a house rewards the best transport hub in the game, as well as powerful perks so useful, yet expensive to unlock, that other players are encouraged to visit yours to obtain them.

Tell me how something like that could fit WoW. Because as far as I've seen, Legion was wildly successful specifically because they threw out that entire idea and focused on an open world expansion instead.
    If it were to ever happen, it would need to be tied to guilds. Lets say each zone has a base lot, and you must be in a guild to claim a lot.

In a guild with 100 members in it, where everyone is an active base-building player, you could guarantee that every zone you flew through had an uninstanced visitable base that belonged to someone in your guild. You wouldn't see random player bases in the world. IMO this would somewhat address the problem of feeling like you're in an isolated bubble, but only somewhat.

It doesn't address the question of how do they make house making in WoW fun in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard did PoH like OSRS does, I'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    yea cuz playing a game mode, especially one as big as pvp, which has tournaments and even an event at blizzcon, is the same as sitting afk in your little bedazzled house lmao.
    I think the point of that Posting was because of the people who are so against Playerhousing, just because they themselves dont have any interest in it.
    And thats just egoistic. Let people have fun how they like. Its none of anyone elses business.

The thing with playerhousing is, (in the way the (i think) majority wants it), that it does not affect people who dont have any interest in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    can someone explain me the obsession with housing, as i cant get behind the idea of having a house ingame nor the idea of staying afk in one place for more than 10 min?
    Its the idea of having "Your own Place". There are people who like it, and people who dont. Simple as that.

Many people like to have their own Place, and especially shape it the way they like.

As someone said, one could play a game like Sims, or similar where the main focus is there. But there is no reason why you shouldn´t want to do more things in the game you enjoy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    How do you intend to make this idea not suck eggs? Garrisons were a colossal failure not just for the lack of customization, but for encouraging players in an MMORPG to spend all their time in a tiny square of land phased away from each other with almost no reason to go into each other's phases.
    Garrisons were a failure because they were part of progression. With resources and loot available without having to go outside to farm or do dungeons people stayed there because they effectively replaced the capital cities from previous expansions.

If anything, housing should just be a side activity for those who like them. Or if it has to grant unlocks, keep it to cosmetics or something
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    He asked if anyone else thinks it's a perfect time, it wasn't a statement, which means he wants it open for interpretation.

P.S. you're not clever, just cringe.
    Anyone else think that after we defeat
    Is a statement, that he thinks that this is the best time.

I don't see what it would bring to WoW. The issue is, that it can hardly be a one man job like pet battle, and I personally never really liked the player housing. E.g. in PoE i just googled cool hideout setups and copied one and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I'm not being unreasonable. The development happens in a bubble, there are only so many resources and diverting them for a feature that isn't that much of a requested feature and would take away from the mmo aspect of the game by removing players from public areas.
    Having more content to farm wouldnt take people out of the world but put them back in it. And with phasing any city can always feel "alive".

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu
    A bigger issue is if this is a major feature, what aren't we going to get? Its also a feature that exists outside of the major gameplay loop of the game, that includes if housing items are loot drops.

We've encountered this already, Garrisons ate up so many resources that wod was sparse. BFA warfronts and islands were a waste as well, so BFA just carried on as Legion 2.0 with the same systems in place. It's all a balancing act and unless they gachi the hell out of it to justify hiring more people (acti wouldn't let that happen they'd just divert more devs from other areas) and really this rabbit hole would probably be the death of wow.
    Every expansion has had cut content. Hell we lost new races in shadowlands for some unlinked faces,10 overall hairstyles(including bald), and jewelry/tattoos. Wouldn't you prefer a new long term system instead of another borrowed power that gets removed in the prepatch for the next? You may hate pet battles or pvp but the more long term content in the game means that more people are staying subbed during content lulls to farm gold, get a pet or mount they want from an old raid etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Having more content to farm wouldnt take people out of the world but put them back in it. And with phasing any city can always feel "alive".
    No it won't. People will just buy the stuff on the AH. The world will be just as dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Masternewt View Post
    Yes. Garrisons are the only way housing can be done. You are correct and smart.
    thats not what i said and you know it, what i said is, if they were done right ti would work garrisons we obviously not

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    No it won't. People will just buy the stuff on the AH. The world will be just as dead.
    And how does that stuff get on the AH........ Come on dude try harder.

And how does that stuff get on the AH........ Come on dude try harder.
    Not nearly enough players to make the world look fuller like you think it will. It will be the same couple of players and anyone who puts stuff on the AH when they are leveling or doing WQ's. It will in no way make the world more alive.

Not nearly enough players to make the world look fuller like you think it will. It will be the same couple of players and anyone who puts stuff on the AH when they are leveling or doing WQ's. It will in no way make the world more alive.
    We already have phasing and its not about seeing hundreds of people in Borean Tundra its about having players to potentially play with instead of dropping their subs for 6 months waiting for the next content drop.

We already have phasing and its not about seeing hundreds of people in Borean Tundra its about having players to potentially play with instead of dropping their subs for 6 months waiting for the next content drop.
    YOu literally said this:

Not going to happen. Most players are going to use the AH and only a couple will actuallly farm it meaning it will come nowhere close to looking like more people are back in the world.

YOu literally said this:

Not going to happen. Most players are going to use the AH and only a couple will actuallly farm it meaning it will come nowhere close to looking like more people are back in the world.
    Reread what I said. Housing will put people into the world farming and with content locks on raids it will hardly be 2 players farming and 100 million in their homes buying shit off the ah. Also where are the people getting money to buy shit off the ah? The alive part has nothing to do housing I said Phasing can make a city feel alive.

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    can someone explain me the obsession with housing, as i cant get behind the idea of having a house ingame nor the idea of staying afk in one place for more than 10 min?
    Bank on house, pet trainer, a place to put your trophies and archaeology stuffs.. almost like garrison was, but in a smaller grade, better implemented and not so many ways to do stuffs without leaving the place
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    This race is an abomination and atrocity. This race doesn't belong in World of Warcraft at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Got ganked by a Vulpera, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Sadly, the validity of your posting is directly proportional to the age of your accound, and your own real age.
    I get why you'd say that. xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I'm not being unreasonable. The development happens in a bubble, there are only so many resources and diverting them for a feature that isn't that much of a requested feature and would take away from the mmo aspect of the game by removing players from public areas.

A bigger issue is if this is a major feature, what aren't we going to get? Its also a feature that exists outside of the major gameplay loop of the game, that includes if housing items are loot drops.

We've encountered this already, Garrisons ate up so many resources that wod was sparse. BFA warfronts and islands were a waste as well, so BFA just carried on as Legion 2.0 with the same systems in place. It's all a balancing act and unless they gachi the hell out of it to justify hiring more people (acti wouldn't let that happen they'd just divert more devs from other areas) and really this rabbit hole would probably be the death of wow.

WoW has major issues right now, terrible class design, borrowed power systems that don't work and aren't wanted, unused core gameplay aspects, and I havent even gotten to the issues Shadowlands has. WoW just isn't the world for housing.
    Ok dude, let me make this clear.

They don't fix classes cause they don't want to. It is not related to the expansion features. You can cut all features you want and the classes will still be crap. It's a design philosophy thing, not a resources thing. But hey... baby steps and i think the pre-patch (aka shadowlands revamp) has helped. The borrowed power systems do not though.

You know... since you are gonna doubt me, check the Asmongold video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8OOZCQ5NqQ
    You will see what the devs thing about that topic. There is a secret discord for theory crafters and they have been leaving feeback but the devs just don't care.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-10-20 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Blizzard's obsession with people idling in major cities is ridiculous. Let's look at games where housing exists, like FFXIV. Is 90% of the population sitting in their houses and avoiding the cities? No, of course not, the cities are as packed and overloaded as they ever were, including from players who own houses. Same for SWTOR. Same for every other game I've played that has housing.

this is literally an excuse. They are probably well aware it won't have this dramatic impact they are claiming it will and people buy it because we take them for their word at everything else. I mean, like Ion said it, "you think you do, but you don't". Right? But I am digressing here.

You are talking about Garrisons which are literally the polar opposite of housing.

1. They are not customizable. No, I am not talking about which shitty little buildings you can place or how much you can upgrade them from 1 -> 2 -> 3. Can you make them racial themed? No. Can you customize the furniture inside the buildings? No. Can you even pick the characters that work in them? No, aside from your optional follower in the profession buildings. There was virtually nothing to customize in garrisons whatsoever. At best you can set up a few statues no one cares about, guild flags no one notices, or add to your archaeology collection. You can't set up your inn's furniture. You can't have anything other than 100% human or 100% orc garrison. There is more customization in glyphs on just about any given class than there was in customizing anything there.

(By the way, if you think that the Garrisons had customization that was comparable to real housing in any remote way, then you've obviously never played any other MMORPG that had housing. Even the weakest and laziest forms had dramatically enhanced options of placing things to make your base, your house, your whatever feel like YOU and not a generic cutout fortress. Don't even try to pretend Garrisons had customization, lol.)

2. They do not exist for socializing or 'owning home', they exist for doing chores. Need I really go further on this? I would hope it's obvious, but players want to decorate their homes, show them off, and maybe open up shops or roleplay in them, etc. They don't want to do arbitrary player power/resource gathering chores and literally nothing else. They didn't exist for players to customize and enjoy, they existed to push player power and resource gathering systems only.

3. Even visiting other people's garrisons is only available if they invite you to their party and were in their own garrison, and not to mention there was nothing but their special visitors to interact with. Nothing to customize, nothing to interact with, hell you can't even use their mage tower portals and the like. Garrisons were an almost entirely solo endeavor.

Frankly I am calling you out on having played UO. I'm skeptical you played the game for anything remotely similar to a 'long time' if you think Garrisons was a 'idea for playing housing' (lol). UO had tremendous housing customization options. Garrisons had literally nothing.

[SNIP]

Well it doesn't matter anyways, because both housing and new classes are extremely likely to ever happen.
    Housing in UO was A LOT different than it can EVER be in an MMO like WoW today. Public houses with vendors were meaningful because you didn't have a global AH, decorating with rares, furniture, and housing addons was superbly enjoyable if you're into that like I am. While I can see decorating houses being possible in WoW, I can't see vendors ever serving a real purpose with the AH existing (which it always will), and I don't see any possibility at all of a housing system that isn't instanced, thus defeating that feeling of people getting to come in and see your decorating, etc.

I said Garrison's were Blizzard's experiment of player housing because that is exactly what they were. Yea, it wasn't just a house you plopped down, but the intent was that it would fill a similar purpose as the players sort of home base where they could choose buildings with different functionalities (like profession buildings) or a portal hub, etc.

But since you were so unfairly harsh towards my post, I feel its only equally fair for me to say to you:

"So I mean I get it. You didn't get the feature you wanted" Garrisons weren't what YOU considered player housing, but that is, in fact, what their purpose was. Had they decided that it was a worth while system to pursue, they could have expanded it into a system that allowed you your own place to decorate or even be freely decorated all around your "claimed area"; but they opted not to pursue it any further, as they felt it pulled away from the social aspect of the game and its cities, even in just that simple of a form.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    "So I mean I get it. You didn't get the feature you wanted" Garrisons weren't what YOU considered player housing, but that is, in fact, what their purpose was. Had they decided that it was a worth while system to pursue, they could have expanded it into a system that allowed you your own place to decorate or even be freely decorated all around your "claimed area"; but they opted not to pursue it any further, as they felt it pulled away from the social aspect of the game and its cities, even in just that simple of a form.
    Exactly. Blizzard officially sold it as player housing, so it doesn't matter if any player thinks it wasn't. Blizzard says it was.

Exactly. Blizzard officially sold it as player housing, so it doesn't matter if any player thinks it wasn't. Blizzard says it was.
    So when you go to a car dealer to buy an SUV and they sell you a school bus instead, you're going to be OK with it since the dealer calls it an SUV?

I think its fair to say that wether you want housing or not, shadowlands theme in now way connected or related to the idea of player housing. I would even go so far that not being on the same realm of existance as where you house would be is a pretty good reason to not introduce housing now.
    Also the end of an expansion is very rarely a good time to introduce a big new feature. End of expansion is a good time to test the water with smaller scale system that the next expansion might have though.

So the only reason why "now" could be considered a good time to implement housing, is because you would like it as soon as possible. But that has nothing to do with shadowlands.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Anyone else think that after we defeat the jailer and save the Shadowlands that it would be the perfect time to implement a player housing system? What better way to reward the saviors of all reality then to let them create their own covenant/afterlife?
    No I don’t think so. A housing system created by Blizzard will be bad. The only way it will hold any value is if the most difficult content rewards the best houses. And if that happens, then all the entitled “casuals” will start crying that Mythic raiders have cooler houses.

- - - Updated - - -

So the customers opinions of the product doesn’t matter?