Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I just tried ordering an uber yesterday morning in Orange county and it legit took 25 minutes. Normally I would only have to wait 10 minutes MAX.

- - - Updated - - -

You do know that rich people can just move to another city/state right? Tax them too much and they will just move to Texas or Florida or something.
    yeah im sure they love to move to swamp ass and steer ass states when they can have coast homes. fuck em, let em go.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    yeah im sure they love to move to swamp ass and steer ass states when they can have coast homes. fuck em, let em go.
    Well. Don't be surprised when your city starts missing the tax revenue and cries wanting them to come back like Governor Cuomo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    No it doesn't.... the housing issues often revolve around older boomers NIMBYing new developments that would increase density and reduce cost.
    So, established people don't what where they have lived for an extended period of time destroyed. Shocking!!! Higher density just leads to lower quality of life.

Well. Don't be surprised when your city starts missing the tax revenue and cries wanting them to come back like Governor Cuomo.
    What tax revenue?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    So, established people don't what where they have lived for an extended period of time destroyed. Shocking!!! Higher density just leads to lower quality of life.
    Yes, we all know how rural areas have high quality of life with no problems whatsoever.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Learning a trade is education. And before that, you still got primary school, whos quality also depends on where you live.
    And last, where did I even say this was the only thing keeping people poor? Because the capitalist class sure has plenty of other ways to keep the poor and desperate to work for them. But one way you can be certain somebody will stay poor will be by denying them any form of education.
    There are plenty of free education opportunities around nowadays on Internet, and not many without any access to it (at least in first world).

Rather then fight existing institutions to provide their services for free i think it would be better for poor social mobility to allow alternative venues of education as equal proof of capability to universities (which are not necessary in every case).
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2020-10-22 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    There are plenty of free education opportunities around nowadays on Internet, and not many without any access to it (at least in first world).

Rather then fight existing institutions to provide their services for free i think it would be better for poor social mobility to allow alternative venues of education as equal proof of capability to universities (which are not necessary in every case).
    Without proper crediting and certificates, you won't get hired anywhere with what you are suggesting. Russia may have lax hiring prices, but the US doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Without proper crediting and certificates, you won't get hired anywhere with what you are suggesting. Russia may have lax hiring prices, but the US doesn't.
    That's exactly the gatekeeping that lowers social mobility of poor.

You can decouple "proper crediting" and certificates from university education in a lot of cases.

That's exactly the gatekeeping that lowers social mobility of poor.

You can decouple "proper crediting" and certificates from university education in a lot of cases.
    Yeah, no you can't.

Yeah, no you can't.
    Do you think it's impossible for something like programming?

Do you think it's impossible for something like programming?
    And if you don't get the certifications, no one will ever hire you. You clearly don't understand education at all, do you?

And if you don't get the certifications, no one will ever hire you. You clearly don't understand education at all, do you?
    Certification (and education) does not necessarily need to be provided by universities.

In fact it could be done better outside of them.

University curriculum systems are not perfectly aligned with modern employee needs.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2020-10-22 at 09:40 AM.

Certification (and education) does not necessarily need to be provided by universities.

In fact it could be done better outside of them.
    Then they aren't worth anything. And what you just linked is a COLLEGE.

Then they aren't worth anything. And what you just linked is a COLLEGE.
    It is example of successful non-university approach that provides (and focuses on) actual added value for students rather then nebulous "university education".

And does it several times faster then university courses at that (so even if you fail it's not four years down the drain; and you don't even pay for failure).
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2020-10-22 at 10:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Yeah, im sure letting kids teach themselves will go over well. I heard they are great at it, who needs teachers. A street orphan and the kid of a billionare have the same chances!

10+ Year Old Account
    And what you think is fundamentally incorrect because it's attempting to reduce a systemic problem to a function of individual successes or failings (as usual).

The current problems with for-pay education are not going to resolve themselves by "allowing alternative venues of education" because it ignores the market incentives keeping the system of for-pay education in place as the standard - unless those incentives are addressed, it's not going to magically go away.

Y'all really need to learn that "I have an opinion" and "I have internet access" doesn't make said opinions worth any more than the bandwidth they take up unless you can actually substantiate your argument with something besides 'I feel X' or 'Well I disagree'.

Healthcare, justice, and education are three things that should be provided to citizens and residents of the state as a matter of right because they correspond directly to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness respectively.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-10-22 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And what you think is fundamentally incorrect because it's attempting to reduce a systemic problem to a function of individual successes or failings (as usual).

The current problems with for-pay education are not going to resolve themselves by "allowing alternative venues of education" because it ignores the market incentives keeping the system of for-pay education in place as the standard - unless those incentives are addressed, it's not going to magically go away.

Y'all really need to learn that "I have an opinion" and "I have internet access" doesn't make said opinions worth any more than the bandwidth they take up unless you can actually substantiate your argument with something besides 'I feel X' or 'Well I disagree'.

Healthcare, justice, and education are three things that should be provided to citizens and residents of the state as a matter of right because they correspond directly to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness respectively.
    I always laugh when some Billionaire is questioned "do I need a 4 year degree to work at X company?" and they are like "no of course not haha. We are working on our processes blah blah blah". Like yeah right dude.

Please, like they don't try their hardest to avoid paying taxes and contribute to their communities. Take that shit and shove it.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Please, like they don't try their hardest to avoid paying taxes and contribute to their communities. Take that shit and shove it.
    New York State has an income tax of 8.82% and then new york city has an additional tax rate of 3.8%. In addition to federal income tax as well. They can just move out of New York and reduce their tax rate by like 10-12% depending on the state. And cities depend on these rich people to fund their budgets.

New York State has an income tax of 8.82% and then new york city has an additional tax rate of 3.8%. In addition to federal income tax as well. They can just move out of New York and reduce their tax rate by like 10-12% depending on the state. And cities depend on these rich people to fund their budgets.
    I mean...why haven't they already? The closest is the white flight out of Detroit, but that had nothing to do with tax issues and everything to do with racism. These higher taxes are hardly new, yet we've heard this impotent mantra for decades.

It is example of successful non-university approach that provides (and focuses on) actual added value for students rather then nebulous "university education".

And does it several times faster then university courses at that (so even if you fail it's not four years down the drain; and you don't even pay for failure).
    Without some kind of proof that you know what you're doing or talking about, like a college or university degree or a certification, or you have some kind of experience in the field, companies won't hire you.

"Free" education might be able to teach you the same things you can learn through a college, university or certification program but with no way to prove you did it, it's worthless. That proof is what costs money, and is absolutely worth it.

Also, I'm sure you noticed, that the link you provided isn't "free" education they just won't charge you until after you're hired, or so the headline says.