Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    in current lore azeroth/azathoth doesn't really make sense anymore, but 25 years ago when they initially came up with all this stuff it easily could have. maybe i should google around a bit sometime, i'm sure someone has asked them how they came up with the name azeroth at some point.
    Yeah I was just looking, and it doesn't seem like they've answered that question or really many questions on naming or creative processes, weirdly enough (except as relates to art and even then it's more later artists than the original vision). There are a huge and disappointing number that relate to Alex Afrasiabi of course, talk about egocentric.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Not saying you're wrong at all, but where did they nick Draenei from?

There are actually quite a number of names in Warcraft which seem to be inspired by or directly taken from old EU Star Wars stuff, I note, for the thread in general. There used to be a WoWWiki page on it, not sure if it's still there.

To those citing Lovecraft - It seems like it could be both or either - Lovecraft has Zoth-Ommog, and Star Wars has N'Zoth (again, not the only SW EU name in WoW), so it's possible it's just a modification of Zoth-Ommog, like Cthun is of Cthulhu, or it's possible someone read the SW EU books, liked the name N'Zoth, and made the connection to Zoth-Ommog (who is actually pretty obscure in the Cthulhu Mythos), and so called him that. I suspect this latter because of the various other SW EU names in WoW mythology (I admit I am forgetting what they are though lol!).

(Obviously conceptually the Old God stuff is all Cthulhu Mythos.)
    They nicked the draenei from dragon lance series’s.
    In the dragon lance universe the race of ogres were originally beautiful beings similar to elves/humans with incredible magic/tech/art/lifespans but were seduced by an evil god who gave them corrupted items in return for their loyalty.
    Which resulted in a civil war that decimated their race Leaving your typical ogre race with a small faction of corruption free ones in hiding.(sounds familiar eh)

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    They nicked the draenei from dragon lance series’s.
    In the dragon lance universe the race of ogres were originally beautiful beings similar to elves/humans with incredible magic/tech/art/lifespans but were seduced by an evil god who gave them corrupted items in return for their loyalty.
    Which resulted in a civil war that decimated their race Leaving your typical ogre race with a small faction of corruption free ones in hiding.(sounds familiar eh)
    You're talking about the Irda?

Because that is a fucking STRETCH mate. That's some Mr Fantastic-level stretching. Not only are they nothing at all like the Draenei, they're super-fucking obscure even by obscure fantasy stuff standards. I only know about them because I'm a huge AD&D nerd and was in the late '80s.

If anything the Irda have way more in common with the Night Elves and Nightborne.

So yeah I'm going to go with they definitely did not nick the Draenei from Dragonlance's Irda.

Here's a link for anyone wondering what the hell we're talking about: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Irda
    "A youtuber said so."

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    You're talking about the Irda?

Because that is a fucking STRETCH mate. That's some Mr Fantastic-level stretching. Not only are they nothing at all like the Draenei, they're super-fucking obscure even by obscure fantasy stuff standards. I only know about them because I'm a huge AD&D nerd and was in the late '80s.

If anything the Irda have way more in common with the Night Elves and Nightborne.

So yeah I'm going to go with they definitely did not nick the Draenei from Dragonlance's Irda.

Here's a link for anyone wondering what the hell we're talking about: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Irda
    Gonna disagree with ya on the stretch there, hell the picture in the link shows a blue skin Lady/guy.
    Just glue some horns/tentacles to them and most people would mistake them from the draenei.
    Thou I’ll admit from what I read from the dragon lance books had them being seduced by evil (legend of huma(?)
    Still on par for most of other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    Imagine when you discover H.P Lovecraft

I mean this kinda hurts.
    can't believe lovecraft copied WoW....

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    can't believe lovecraft copied WoW....
    Dude has copied so many books, movies and games.

Shameless

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Gonna disagree with ya on the stretch there, hell the picture in the link shows a blue skin Lady/guy.
    Just glue some horns/tentacles to them and most people would mistake them from the draenei.
    Thou I’ll admit from what I read from the dragon lance books had them being seduced by evil (legend of huma(?)
    Still on par for most of other parts.
    Why not read the words instead of just looking at the picture?

I mean, come on, this is a messageboard.

There is literally nothing about their culture, their behaviour, their abilities (shapeshifting being the primary one), or anything else that is particularly like the Draenei. The colours they are, Night Elves and Nightborne and Trolls also are. And as I said, the Night Elves/Nightborne - and particularly Highborne - are much more similar to. In fact the Highborne you could make a real case for similarity.

But Draenei? Come on. They're not even in any way goat-like. They're not from space. Their culture was never technologically advanced. They weren't seduced by demons, they were born from the Evil gods, started neutral-ish, turned evil long ago, then a few turned good. They look like large elves (y'know, like Night Elves/Nightborne/Highborne do).

Here's another source: https://dragonlance.fandom.com/wiki/Ogres

Re: turned evil what you're probably confused by is that long after they were already evil, they declined, lost a slave revolt to the humans, and then what really fucked them was being cursed by a good-guy god (for reasons unclear) and turned into the Ogres we know. Except a few hanging out in far-flung enclaves. Like the Highborne...

Really the Highborne parallels are excellent. The Draenei parallels are poor at best.
    "A youtuber said so."