Why do people say you age on your birthday?

It's plausible when you're a kid but when you're older like in your 40s, don't you start viewing yourself aging when the year starts rather than your birthday? Unless there's scientific proof your date of birth is where it holds meaning, why not just say you're a year older when the new year starts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it’s kind of like a count down, for vultures to get your stuff. Happy birthday!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    It's plausible when you're a kid but when you're older like in your 40s, don't you start viewing yourself aging when the year starts rather than your birthday? Unless there's scientific proof your date of birth is where it holds meaning, why not just say you're a year older when the new year starts?
    Wait until you're older.
    When you look back and realize how much your biology has changed then both dates, your birthday, and New Year's Day, will likely be days you'll view with a degree of cynicism.

"Being a year older" is a fully arbitrary human concept. Biology doesn't count your age in years. Your biological age doesn't just suddenly jump up a year at some point. You slowly age every day.

Hence, why wouldn't you use the most accurate measure of your age, which is based on your birthday?

Here is a neat trick, with any theory you should run it through the extremes to see if it makes any sense.
    Say, for example, someone born on December 31 1980 and someone on January 1 1981 are quite close to being the same age, just one day apart. But if you counted on new year they would be a year apart in age suddenly? Or do you "round" to the closest year change? Or pick one arbitrarily? If my birthday is in July, do I make myself half a year older or younger?

We already celebrate our birthdays, not using them to refer to your age would just be silly.

My birthday is at the very end of December, so...yes? I think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

why not just say you're a year older when the new year starts?
    Because you're not? A year is a measurement of time length, so if you're born in July and say you're a year older at new year's, you're not. You're 6 months older. Can't believe you need to have that explained to you.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why anyone would care.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we don't live in Korea, obviously.

I don't tell people when my birthday is tbh. So nobody says anything...it's kinda nice

You do know how math works, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Because you're not? A year is a measurement of time length, so if you're born in July and say you're a year older at new year's, you're not. You're 6 months older. Can't believe you need to have that explained to you.
    it's only broken on your actual birth year

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyday, every hour, every minute, every second that passes by you're aging. You don't just age as soon as we hit the new year. Birthdays are just anniversaries celebrating the day you were born and the fact that you're still alive 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, years later.

Weird thread.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Just to give you a friendly reminder;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Just to give you a friendly reminder;
    Damn, he only has 3 more years to live. Poor lad doesn't even know it.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    Damn, he only has 3 more years to live. Poor lad doesn't even know it.
    Sleeping with a teddy bear at 15? Sounds like he had it coming...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi