Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aritra the Gnome View Post
    The single biggest mistake Blizzard ever did with WoW was adding Flying in the first place.
    Strongly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Not sure if your excessively brilliant (and I can only assume you spent hours on this) solution covers me not wanting to deal with people flying in from above while I'm busy with a pack of mobs in WPVP or the fact that they do their damnedest to get away and mount up to fly if they are losing themselves. Oh yeah, and the whole meeting people on the ground makes the world feel more alive thing. Other than that, solid stuff.
    there is an item blizzard added that lets you shoot flying mounts. dont know the basics since i dont care for (w)pvp or just turn off WM. if they are losing, that means they are in combat and thus cannot mount so what even is this arguement? if i want to meet people i go outside and meet actual people or to an in game capital city. when im questing, the last thing on my mind is people. so yea like i said: if you want all that, just use a ground mount and stop advocating to have flying removed

10+ Year Old Account
    The single biggest mistake Blizzard ever did with WoW was adding Flying in the first place.
    Nope, that was Titan forging and corruptions considering how much vitriol those two features generated. People whine about flying but it doesn't mess up the game in any way. Arguably the only mistake they made in relation to flying was not innovating like they were planning too with mounted combat and potentially greater quest and obstacle variety.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    It's a good point that zooming in to handle 3D combat works against the scenic thing. So perhaps any new zones should be more Storm Peaks, less Vash.
    Yeah one thing the Occulus and Vash have in common is 3D combat which people are even worse at (even with the massive auto-targeting in WoW and Occulus dragon abilities especially), and people haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it (they also hated it in DAoC, though DAoC felt even more realistically "underwater", which freaked people out even more the Vash, too).

So going between places is the main thing.

But I just don't think you need flying to do what you want. I think the general idea of a non-physics obeying, highly scenic zone is good, at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Nope, that was Titan forging and corruptions considering how much vitriol those two features generated. People whine about flying but it doesn't mess up the game in any way. Arguably the only mistake they made in relation to flying was not innovating like they were planning too with mounted combat and potentially greater quest and obstacle variety.
    It's all relative to time and place though. If you went back to TBC or early Wrath and asked people "where Blizzard fucked up", it'd be "WELFARE EPIX" spammed at you, with a few people saying "Forced PvP" (which was never a thing but w/e - they meant being """""""forced""""""" to do Arenas to get their aforementioned Welfare Epix - which they also complained about, note). Flying wouldn't even be on the radar.

By Cataclysm, though, it'd be "THIS EXPANSION" or "Flying" or "Daily quests" as top of the list of fuck-ups.

And so on.

Re: flying's only mistake I actually think it was a little deeper than that - by using the same model for flying and ground movement, and the same dismount system (i.e. dismounted if you get hit too much or use an ability), they basically set themselves up to have super-boring flying forever. If they'd just made those systems a bit different things could have gone very differently.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    But I just don't think you need flying to do what you want. I think the general idea of a non-physics obeying, highly scenic zone is good, at least.
    Well, sort of. But the kinds of views you get flying over Storm Peaks is at least partially about being up in the air and experiencing the rise and fall of the terrain. Highmountain is actually pretty similar to Storm Peaks, but you don't notice it while you're running around on the ground. You mostly just fail to notice that the flight path that got you there had to ascend really high, and then you're in mountain valleys where you see some rocks and otherwise it's mostly the same as any other zone. While in Storm Peaks the quests drag you over some jaw dropping vistas, like the Temple of Storms or the icefalls below Bor's Breath.

personally disagree and if you dont like it you have classic and to add when they add classic tbc flying will be waiting for u there

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that unless they allow everyone to fly in that zone it would be gated to only those who have Pathfinder achievement, which would cause all kinds of whining.

I would rather they just remove the pathfinder part 2 achievement and allow you to fly in the base SL zones after Pathfinder. Then add part 2 for any new zones (like Mechagon and Nazjatar in BFA as the example) that is required to fly in just those new zones.

I do agree that back in BC there was some content you could only reach at max level when you could fly. For example, Tempest Keep in BC, and the valley or whatever in Hellfire Peninsula where that boss demon and the level 70 demons were. There was also a place in Bladespire whatever its called I believe where you could only reach it through flying. Oh and the place with the bird creatures where you could grind for a special mount, that was flying only. But back then flying was open to anyone who could pay for it, not gated behind an achievement.

In Wrath I don't remember as much content that was max level that required flying. Getting around Icecrown was a lot easier with flying, but I think in Wrath they made flying account-wide, because I remember leveling through some of the early Wrath zones on alts before max level.

Blizz should do with flying as FFXIV did. Zones have certain amount of nodes that you can get by exploring and then few nodes locked in the zone story quests. When you have all the nodes done you can fly in the said zone.
    BFA was absolutely horrible when comparing dazzalor and boralus. Boralus is boring gray area but with easy navigation due not much of a height difference and Dazzalor was vibrant and fancy but it was utter pain if you dont have flying or werent a DH. Also who ever thought it was a good idea to separate half of the utilities between great seal and harbor should be given a firm kick to the nuts.

3+ Year Old Account
    So, a zone in the Shadowlands that would be overly mountainous, and you'd need flying to navigate it? That'd be kinda cool. I imagine it'd be somewhere the Pandaren would go after they die, like an Asian-inspired place of sorts
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by dayne87 View Post
    The problem is that unless they allow everyone to fly in that zone it would be gated to only those who have Pathfinder achievement, which would cause all kinds of whining.
    Replace Pathfinder with a smashing introductory questline for the new zone! (That also grants you flying in SL account-wide.) Blizzard have said they're going with Pathfinder, but it shouldn't be hard for them to go back on that

Quote Originally Posted by Yorimar View Post
    blizzard hates flying, thats why they come up with these brainless grinds that cant be completed untill 1.5 years into the xpac. they initially want it removed but since so many people are fond of it, they cant. they should just allow access to flying without me needing to unlock something... every new xpac my flying mounts forgot how to fly? fuck off... for those arguing they dont want flying MOUNT A GODDAMN GROUND MOUNT OR DONT HIT THE SPACEBAR!
    You trying are that clueless aren’t you.

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    Replace Pathfinder with a smashing introductory questline for the new zone! (That also grants you flying in SL account-wide.) Blizzard have said they're going with Pathfinder, but it shouldn't be hard for them to go back on that
    I hope for a better "pathfinder" alternative as well, one that doesnt work to push MAU's but work to push FUN.

Mechagon Jetpack would have been fun with Anthem controls. The experience of taking off and landing... hovering not unlimited and being out in the open air as dangerous...

The flying experience of Anthem felt great, but it does not fit WoW well.

there is an item blizzard added that lets you shoot flying mounts. dont know the basics since i dont care for (w)pvp or just turn off WM. if they are losing, that means they are in combat and thus cannot mount so what even is this arguement? if i want to meet people i go outside and meet actual people or to an in game capital city. when im questing, the last thing on my mind is people. so yea like i said: if you want all that, just use a ground mount and stop advocating to have flying removed
    The net that lets you shoot down flying mounts is pretty clunky already. It's not like the turtle shell from MoP that's instant, you have to channel it and it's possible to outrange it before the cast finishes. On top of that, unless you have a friend helping you, shooting the net causes you to be unable to mount for the first few seconds meanwhile the person you shot down is able to hit the ground, mount up, and fly off again by the time you get to them usually.

Also plenty of classes can outrun others to get out of combat to mount up. Druids are nearly unstoppable if they know what they're doing, and they have instant flight so the moment they're out of combat from outrunning you, they're gone.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dayne87 View Post
    In Wrath I don't remember as much content that was max level that required flying. Getting around Icecrown was a lot easier with flying, but I think in Wrath they made flying account-wide, because I remember leveling through some of the early Wrath zones on alts before max level.
    It sort of ended up that way. Most people had flying on a lot of their characters from TBC, and if not, the increased money you got in WotLK meant you could quickly afford it (it was 250g + 50g for a flying mount if you didn't have one - this was before mounts were account-wide, I think). But that didn't let you fly in WotLK, you needed to buy Cold-Weather Flying training, which was another 1000g, and required level 77. A lot of people had around 1000g from stuff in WotLK by 77/78 so got it around then.

Much later, in 3.2.0, an item "Tome of Cold-Weather Flying" became available, also for 1000g, but whilst it required level 80 to purchase, it only required level 68 to use (it was consumed on use). So whilst it was a significant gold sink (back then), it was a huge, huge asset to any alt going 70-80 (or 68-80), speeding it up a lot, so if you could afford it, you probably did - esp. as people had so few alts.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    People will beg for flying when they experience some parts of Revendreth (x

blizzard hates flying, thats why they come up with these brainless grinds that cant be completed untill 1.5 years into the xpac. they initially want it removed but since so many people are fond of it, they cant.
    Wrong. Blizzard does not hate flying. There are devs that feel the game would be better off with out it(Alex Afrasiabi) and those that love flying(Ion). Pathfinder was a compromise between the devs on each side of the issue.

they should just allow access to flying without me needing to unlock something...
    God forbid you have to earn it. Flying should be earned, not handed to you. Player entitlement has ruining the game.

every new xpac my flying mounts forgot how to fly?
    Your mounts never forgot how to fly. YOu still have the ability to fly everywhere you unlocked it. Every time you unlocked flying, it was for the lands of that specific expansion. You NEVER unlocked flying in future expansions.

for those arguing they dont want flying MOUNT A GODDAMN GROUND MOUNT OR DONT HIT THE SPACEBAR!
    This tired argument again. Nobody is going to intentionally gimp themselves. The only way people will use their ground mounts is if flying isn't in the game at all. Nobody is going to use a ground mount when flying is available because people do not want to waste time.

Pathfinder is fine. Players just need to stop being so entitled.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2020-10-23 at 05:21 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would rather have no flying at all than all the hoops you're required to jump through for flying from the last 3 expansions. I HATE the current implementation of pathfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Pathfinder is fine. Players just need to stop being so entitled. 3.
    Disliking pathfinding isn't the same as feeling entitled, and keeping it in is in no way a middle ground between having it removed and keeping it in? Gating it behind months of tedious grinding for **** that you do not want to do is hardly the fair middle option. There are better methods for gating it.
    Last edited by Malania; 2020-10-23 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Expanding

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    Disliking pathfinding isn't the same as feeling entitled, and keeping it in is in no way a middle ground between having it removed and keeping it in? Gating it behind months of tedious grinding for **** that you do not want to do is hardly the fair middle option. There are better methods for gating it.
    Pathfinder is perfectly fair. It gives those that wanted flying removed completely a period of time to enjoy before flying is unlocked. As it is, almost everyone who goes on about hating Pathdiner also usually say that they should go back to being handed flying for gold. That absolutely is entitlement because that is getting it handed to you for nothing. That is also not a middle ground. The only other "comrpomise" the anti-Pathfinder ground are willing to give is any method that still allows them to get flying on day one. That is not a middle ground because that does not give the anti-flying crowd anything. Pathdiner has been the only thing that is a middle ground because it does give the anti-flying crowd something.

for those arguing they dont want flying MOUNT A GODDAMN GROUND MOUNT OR DONT HIT THE SPACEBAR!
    I'll try an alternative strategy compared to those who call you retarded outright.
    Do you know football/soccer? Let's imagine the FIFA introduces a new possibility in the rules: you can grab the ball in your hands.
    Famous players claim the games are less interesting, that what they liked in that sport is gone.
    Then what would you think if the president of FIFA answered to them:
    Quote Originally Posted by President of the FIFA
    for those arguing they dont want that rule JUST DON'T TAKE THE BALL IN YOUR HANDS!
    As you can understand, it's not as easy in a multiplayer game to ignore what you can do. Players are expected by game designers to mostly take the path of least resistance, if that path is not interesting, then the game is not either. That's why it's important to think about player limits instead of adding infinite choices and possibilities.