Regarding the Fel

So we do know that the source of Fel magic is the Twisting Nether and that it came to existence by the Light and Void clashing on each other in cosmic scale. We also know that it's (exclusively?) sacrificial magic that uses life as fuel. So: ...

1) Does Fel magic even work without something dying? or even the weakest of cantrips require some sacrifice?

2)would Fel magic work on undead or constructs if no other life source is available?

3)do playable warlocks use exclusively Fel magic or only the spells that cost soul shards are actually Fel? (with the rest being arcane i assume? or even shadow?)

4)can the Fel produce any type of effect? for example the affliction spells are awfully close to the Void's domain, while the various portals/conjurations to arcane

5) why are demons seen so frequently using shadow magic? is it shadow bound by fel or actual void?

thanks for any response!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    So we do know that the source of Fel magic is the Twisting Nether and that it came to existence by the Light and Void clashing on each other in cosmic scale. We also know that it's (exclusively?) sacrificial magic that uses life as fuel. So: ...

1) Does Fel magic even work without something dying? or even the weakest of cantrips require some sacrifice?

2)would Fel magic work on undead or constructs if no other life source is available?

3)do playable warlocks use exclusively Fel magic or only the spells that cost soul shards are actually Fel? (with the rest being arcane i assume? or even shadow?)

4)can the Fel produce any type of effect? for example the affliction spells are awfully close to the Void's domain, while the various portals/conjurations to arcane

5) why are demons seen so frequently using shadow magic? is it shadow bound by fel or actual void?

thanks for any response!
    1) Yes. Fel is sort of like fire in that it needs a source, but that source can be almost anything, even the caster's mana.

2) Yes, see above. In fact, necromancy was first used by orc warlocks.

3) Warlocks use any power available to them. Player Warlocks also use death magic (soul shards/stones) and void magic (voidwalkers) as well as pyromancy and a little bit of blood magic.

4) Fel can impower beings, Kil'Jaedin and Archimond have even proven to use arcane spells that seem to have been amplified by their demonic powers.

5) See #3. Warlocks are all about that power, wherever and however they can get it. Most casters stay away from fel and shadow, being the more dangerous types. Warlocks use them BECAUSE they are dangerous and will give them an edge over those too weak or cowardly to do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    1) Yes. Fel is sort of like fire in that it needs a source, but that source can be almost anything, even the caster's mana.

2) Yes, see above. In fact, necromancy was first used by orc warlocks.

3) Warlocks use any power available to them. Player Warlocks also use death magic (soul shards/stones) and void magic (voidwalkers) as well as pyromancy and a little bit of blood magic.

4) Fel can impower beings, Kil'Jaedin and Archimond have even proven to use arcane spells that seem to have been amplified by their demonic powers.

5) See #3. Warlocks are all about that power, wherever and however they can get it. Most casters stay away from fel and shadow, being the more dangerous types. Warlocks use them BECAUSE they are dangerous and will give them an edge over those too weak or cowardly to do the same.
    I think even troll warlocks use a bit of hex actually.

Pretty sure warlock's only use shadow due to gameplay and lorewise stick to fel/arcane

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    This is going to sound a bit annoying, but the source of Fel magic is actually sort-of up in the air at the moment. We don't actually have a source of what Fel is, and any current interpretations are to-be-determined as being legitimate or not, as the current WoW cosmology is currently shifting.

Fel magic, from what we can tell, does not necessarily require a sacrifice. It would probably be more apt to say that Fel magic, being relatively unstable, but powerful, attracts people who are more willing to do what is necessary to gain power, and thus are more willing to make the sacrifices required to empower themselves. So, in this case, the reason why you likely see many powerful demons or warlocks using souls to fuel their magic is simply because they're willing to undertake cruel and unusual actions in order to grow their power.

We have no reason to believe it wouldn't.

From what we know, all of the magic that Warlocks use are various kinds of Fel magic.

You need to specify what you mean. If you are referring to whether Fel magic can mimic other kinds of magic, I would suggest considering the Warlords of Draenor resurrection of Mannoroth, in which he is incrementally brought back to life, or the portals which the Legion is capable of creating which are much more potent than those which we know have been formed strictly using Arcane magic.

Demons likely have no reservations regarding what kinds of magic they use. Demons are from the Twisting Nether, but that does not mean they necessarily have to use Fel Magic. Consider that mortal races are not of any cosmic caste, and we can use Light, Void, Fel, etc., and many demons come from mortal races (Satyr, Eredar, etc.).
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

1) I'd imagine whenever you're not draining from someone else it's using you as a battery.
    2) Mechanically yes, considering we can cast Drain Life on zombies. But I'm pretty sure we can also cast it on mechanicals, so heck if I know.
    3) I've always taken it to be part shadow, part fel. I mean you cast SHADOWbolt, that's got to be shadow, right?
    4) Some of the best warlocks, like necromancers, were mages who used their powers for EEEEEVIL, so warping that for their purposes being involved would make some sense.
    5) Pacts with voidwalkers, which are classed as demons maybe? I played the order hall content and read every lore book so honestly if I can't answer this stuff Blizzard probably can't either at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.